What's new

Synthetic brush to buy if I've never used a shaving brush

After 3 months using a DE with brushless creams, I'm coming around to trying a brush. I'm looking at synthetics, specifically the Simpson Trafalgar and G5A, as they seem to be almost universally praised as top-tier synthetics.

My main question is about size. The Trafalgar comes in the T1 (23mm knot, 40mm handle, 42mm loft), T2 (24/44/46), and T3 (26/50/50). The G5A comes in 24, 26, or 28 mm knots, and I guess you buy the handle separately so handle and loft sizes vary. Having never used a shaving brush, I haven't a clue what size to get. I'm a pretty average size guy (1.75m / 5'9"), so I suspect my hands and face are pretty average as well, if that matters at all. And I expect to face lather, if that matters too. I'm sure it comes down to personal preference, YMMV, etc., and I'm most likely overthinking this, but I'd still appreciate any guidance on guessing a size.

Also, it sounds like I probably can't go wrong with either, but if anyone has tried both Trafalgar and G5A and has a strong preference (or another synthetic I should really consider instead), I'd like to hear which you prefer and why.

Thanks!!

Although many love the Simpson T2 I did not. I found it small, stiff and scratchy. I’ve only ever used synthetics though. I plan on purchasing a G5A sometime soon. I may be a bit of a broken record here but I’d talk to Andrew at AP Shave Co. He’ll work with you in finding the right handle, knot, loft etc. . Good luck, keep us posted and of course have fun!

To be honest any shaving brush will work OK. Well except boar, perhaps. I bought a Simpson Best Badger Colonel, which is great. However I can get a good lather just as easily with the no-name synthetic brush I got as part of a £10 set with a stand and bowl.

Regarding size I don't see the need for a large brush unless you have a huge face or plan to shave your legs. :)

Personally I think expensive shaving brushes are one of the most over-hyped aspects of wet shaving.

AFBD3AD7-C533-4E29-A40D-2DEE5F5AD41B.jpeg
I tried to love my T3…
It’s big, the girth of the handle makes it a bit clunky for me. It needs a firmer pressure to splay than my other brushes.

A 24mm Yaqi should tick most of your boxes and won’t cost an arm or leg.

Short answer:
If you want unchallenged performance just get the G5a.

If you want an inexpensive brush get a Yaqi or PAA

Long answer:
I have the entire G5 line as well as a T2 and T3. The Trafalgar would certainly do the job and is a well made brush. However, it is not on the same level as the G5a and is readily outperformed by the G5a in every category. Especially softness and water retention. Backbone is about the same. Also, the G5a has a more intuitive and dynamic splay, rather than that 'all or nothing' splay that most synthetics have including my Trafalgars. Trafalgars are, however, less expensive. But if cost is a concern then you can get a Yaqi for $12 or a PAA for $20 both of being on par with the Trafalgar.

Should you decide to get a G5a, I'd like to highly recommend getting the 24mm knot and having Andrew set the loft to 52mm. If you go 26 or 28 have him set loft at 54mm.

Hmm, it's starting to sound like I was a bit off in that G5A is the top-of-the line synthetic, and then there are several very good synthetics, of which the Simpson Trafalgar is merely the most expensive. 😕

Should you decide to get a G5a, I'd like to highly recommend getting the 24mm knot and having Andrew set the loft to 52mm. If you go 26 or 28 have him set loft at 54mm.
Any particular reason for the 24mm knot? Just a good, middle-of-the road size? And it looks from the web site that if you buy a handle, he can set it at a recommended loft. Any reason to specify 52mm (or 54mm)? Not meaning to question you, anything I pick on my own would be completely arbitrary, just trying to understand the process. Thanks!

The easiest synthetic to pick up is the Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf brush for me. Great balance of softness/backbone/latherability.

I recently got a Trafalgar T3 and it's really nice. It doesn't have any glue bump and it's got a nice scrub to the face without overdoing it. Especially with the neat presentation, T3 is standing out to be a fine synthetic

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Synthetic brushes are sure nice and there are a lot of nice ones out there, I have a nice collection of synthetics and some feel very nice to the face & a luxury feel of quality for less than $20. I like my natural hair brushes also because they offer a different face feel and have been around for hundreds of years in one form or another. My first synthetic of any quality was a Razorock Plissoft and have collected different Generations of synthetics from different manufactures over the last 4 years. My suggestion is buy a 24mm synthetic knot that is the middle of the road and go from there. I stay with a couple of brand names because every one claims they have the best knot, the simple truth is the quality brushes are made in about 3 or 4 factories world wide.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After 3 months using a DE with brushless creams, I'm coming around to trying a brush. I'm looking at synthetics, specifically the Simpson Trafalgar and G5A, as they seem to be almost universally praised as top-tier synthetics.

My main question is about size. The Trafalgar comes in the T1 (23mm knot, 40mm handle, 42mm loft), T2 (24/44/46), and T3 (26/50/50). The G5A comes in 24, 26, or 28 mm knots, and I guess you buy the handle separately so handle and loft sizes vary. Having never used a shaving brush, I haven't a clue what size to get. I'm a pretty average size guy (1.75m / 5'9"), so I suspect my hands and face are pretty average as well, if that matters at all. And I expect to face lather, if that matters too. I'm sure it comes down to personal preference, YMMV, etc., and I'm most likely overthinking this, but I'd still appreciate any guidance on guessing a size.

Also, it sounds like I probably can't go wrong with either, but if anyone has tried both Trafalgar and G5A and has a strong preference (or another synthetic I should really consider instead), I'd like to hear which you prefer and why.

Thanks!!
Synthetic brushes? Presuming that you want a finished brush? Personally, I'd check out the Mühle and Edwin Jagger Silver Tip Fibre and the Omega EVO brushes. Of note: These are manufacturer OEM knots, not 3rd party knots that you see in lots of other brushes or sold under different names.

For more reasonably priced brushes, the PAA brushes that use the Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot, the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD and the AP Shave Co Synbad brushes are in my extended rotation.

I also have favored brushes where I've set the knot in a custom handle.

I'll eventually try one of the G5 series knots to see how it stacks up.

Hope this helps. :)

Any particular reason for the 24mm knot? Just a good, middle-of-the road size? And it looks from the web site that if you buy a handle, he can set it at a recommended loft. Any reason to specify 52mm (or 54mm)? Not meaning to question you, anything I pick on my own would be completely arbitrary, just trying to understand the process. Thanks!
Ask as many questions as you like. That's what this forum is for. Your spending hard earned money and it's perfectly sound to assemble as much information as you can before making a purchase.

Yes 24mm is the default medium size, as it were, for shaving brushes. Some people who face lather like 22mm or smaller as they feel they have more accurate lather distribution and don't like getting soap in their ears or up their nose etc. I personally like 26mm, but 24 a good versatile place to start.

You can adjust the behavior of your brush by setting your knot at different depths. A shorter loft will provide more backbone at the cost of splay and flow through. I recommend 52mm because the G5a is a short lofted brush that already has enormous backbone so anything less than 52mm just provides yet more backbone when the G5a already has more backbone than you'd ever need and 52mm is the longest lofted configuration that the 24mm can support and I (and many others) find it to perform at it's best with the longer loft set. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I agree with the above suggestion of the G5A 24mm but my suggestion for loft would be 55mm.

The G5A is said to similar to the silvertip fibre, which I have multiples of as it's the pinnacle of shaving brushes!

The 23mm is set at 54mm loft and 25mm is set at 57mm loft. Both of which allow the brushes to splay beautifully whilst retaining a nice backbone.

I agree with the above suggestion of the G5A 24mm but my suggestion for loft would be 55mm.

The G5A is said to similar to the silvertip fibre, which I have multiples of as it's the pinnacle of shaving brushes!

The 23mm is set at 54mm loft and 25mm is set at 57mm loft. Both of which allow the brushes to splay beautifully whilst retaining a nice backbone.
I was under the impression that 52 was making out the loft for the 24? If that's the case then yes, set it to 55. Basically just set it as high as high can

Enjoy the journey. Part of the fun is find what you like. Don’t be the kid who learned how to drive in a Mercedes.

I’m a newbie as you. I started wet shaving about 2 years ago. Living in Brazil, I can’t acess gear easily as people who lives in US, so I have to narrowed my choices.

Get inexpensive and quality items. There are good gear with good value.

I started with a 6C and Cremo soap. I was amazed with those 2 products. Coming from electric shaver and canned shaving cream, in that time I thougt that is the pinnacle of wet shaving. 2 months later, I bought a Yaqi Sagrada familia and 4 tubes of Proraso red. Another WOW!!! There are even better products =).

I kept using the 6C, the Yaqi and the Proraso for 2 years (how I could know that a soap would last so much). I improved my technique until the plate R6 was not efficient enough. I also kill 2 tubes of Proraso and I’m going to try new soaps. I have a 200 Astra SP blades, so I tried few blades also.

I’m still learning about my preferences. I like efficient razor and I’m a steeper shaver, so this month I buy a Wolfmann 1.25. If I have got this razor 2 years ago probably I would quit the hobbie. I still know nothing about brushes and soaps. One of my first purchases was a Captain Choice ceramic bowl. It’s one of my beautiful itens, but I only started bowl lather a month ago. I know how to face lather, but my bowl lather is awful ;)

Well, in summary, get inexpensive and quality items. Don’t commit with big ticket items yet (if you do, get items which is easy to sell). There are plenty of spectacular items you can get with a small budget. Get a inexpensive synthetic brush, a set of soap samples, a set of blades samples and a mild razor.

Take time to discover your preferences. I took 2 years to understand what I like in a razor (gap, exposure, hand, etc). Now I’m trying to understand what I like in soaps and brushes. It’s part of fun, there are a lot of variables and the quality of the shave is always getting better when you learn something new.

opposed to what you specifically asked for - i am aware of that - i'd say get a for you affordable badger brush. there are very nice brushes even for 30 bucks. you get even lil simpsons for around that, a wide variety of omegas, some zenith, mühle, aso..it doesnt have to be a 26+ super duper knot, completely unnecessary if you want to start out and test the water. i really think you'll get longer and more enjoyment out of real ones. thats my take on it.
use plastic bristles to sweep and scrub the floor.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Razorock and Yaqi synths are great and cheap. PAA synths are a bit nicer, have better handles, but will perform nearly the same. No need to spend any more than $20 on your first synth. Figure out what you like before plunking down for a more expensive brush. Learn how to use it, make lots of lathers. Then venture out from there. Enjoy the journey.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
^^ + 1
Razorock or Yaqi will do fine. I wouldn't go bigger than 24mm I used to have a 26mm timberwoolf, a bit too big for my taste for face lathering.
Although my preferred size is 26 mm for face lathering, I would also suggest 24 mm for someone just starting out. Razorock has 3 synths right now on sale for under $10. Wait until Friday and there will be even more things on sale.

Top Bottom