What's new

A few random questions on SE razors

Hey all,

I was just Looking to see if anyone knows the following. It’s been a while since I’ve been out of the game.

1) why the Broman is no longer sold anywhere ? Are they shut down?

2) does anyone know where to find the Indian made challenger razor that takes half de blades once sold by global shave club?

3) anyone have experience with the Focus R50 razor?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Maybe you aren’t as deep as you thought? 😂
Jeff Smith on Youtube uses different Focus razors and he knows a lot about them. As for the Broman it is a mild razor and not much good said about when it comes to shipping. I would look at Italian Barber and they have the Razorock ECO that uses a half a DE blade or the Twig that also uses half blades.

Jeff Smith on Youtube uses different Focus razors and he knows a lot about them. As for the Broman it is a mild razor and not much good said about when it comes to shipping. I would look at Italian Barber and they have the Razorock ECO that uses a half a DE blade or the Twig that also uses half blades.
I like a mild razor which is why I want the Broman. It seems like you can’t even order from anywhere. Hence why I was curious about the plastic Indian razor that takes half blades .

To the best of my knowledge, there are just over ten SE type razors that use half DE shavette blades. Some have a pivot, some have not.
  1. The Focus Dynamic R48 ( now in stainless as the R50). Shavette blade, pivoting, mild.
  2. The Leaf. Which can take up to three shavette blades. Pivoting.
  3. The Twig, made by the same company that makes the Leaf. Shavette blade, non pivoting.
  4. Broman. Shavette blade, pivoting. Mild
  5. Rocnel SE-P. Shavette blade, non pivoting, mild.
  6. The Challenger/V-ishwa razor. Shavette blade, non pivoting. Aggressive
  7. Razorock ECO. Shavette blade, non pivoting. Aggressive
  8. Yaqi Katana. Shavette blade, non pivoting. Aggressive
  9. O9 razor (also seen on eBay UK as the Big Boss) Shavette blade, non pivoting. Aggressive
  10. The german version of the Broman (whose name I can never remember) Shavette blade, pivoting.
  11. MARS razor. Introduced less than a month ago. Shavette blade, non pivoting. Adjustable.
Out of those, I have the Challenger-V-Ishw razor & the O9/Big Boss. Both take shavette blades & are non pivoting.

Broman is currently out of business. Said to be mild
The Leaf seems to be doing fine. So is the Twig.
Focus dynamic still exists, but isn't mentioned much anymore. Mild
Rocnel doesnt make the SE-P any more.
The Challenger is probably still available from Global Shave Club. Aggressive
Razorock's ECO is definitely available
The Katana is doing quite well & is often seen in SOTD's on some sites.
The O9 razor is a little difficult to get
I've not heard about that German razor for a while now.

The two that I have i.e. Challenger/V-Ishw & O9/Big Boss have become difficult to find.

The manufacturer of the first has them available for sale wholesale, but insists on the purchase of 10 at a time. I found the razor badly made. Global Shave Club may still have some stock. They're not mild.

The O9 has a great deal of potential as it's a half-blade TTO with a very interesting design, but it's blade exposure is too much for me, & it tends to rust quickly, so it should be kept oiled.

You may also want to read Sharpologists post on single edge razors with a pivot. I cannot post a link to it, as it's on another forum, & the rules here don't allow for posting links to other forums.

If you include razors that use dedicated SE/Injector/AC type blades, then Supply razor, Oneblade, Hawk, Parker, ATT, iKon etc are modern options. The only one with a pivot is the OneBlade.
  • Feather AC - (Cobra, Mongoose, RazoRock Hawk, iKon El Jefe, Bullgoose Asylum Rx SE, Rocnel SE50, Above the Tie SE)
  • Injector Razor (Schick, Parker, Supply Provision Co.)
There are several vintage ones like the GEM & Valet range.

Last edited:
I think the RR Eco is great. I use Lord blades. Great shaves with this setup.

7223D461-873F-4ECF-AF48-F123F37216C6.jpeg

I like a mild razor which is why I want the Broman. It seems like you can’t even order from anywhere. Hence why I was curious about the plastic Indian razor that takes half blades .
The Challenger is not mild. Most of the others are aggressive too.

If you're looking for a mild razor that takes shavette blades, your current options are the MARS adjustable with different baseplates , Focus Dynamic in aluminium R48 /R50 stainless & the Twig.

The last two will cost you some $$. The MARS is considerably cheaper, though made of plastic.

Last edited:
The Challenger is not mild. Most of the others are aggressive too.

If you're looking for a mild razor that takes shavette blades, your current options are the MARS adjustable with different baseplates , Focus Dynamic in aluminium R48 /R50 stainless & the Twig.

The last two will cost you some $$. The MARS is considerably cheaper, though made of plastic.
Is the mars available to purchase anywhere ? At the price , it’s a risk worth trying.

For me, the only true SE razors are those who work with either GEM, injector, AC and a few other types of blades, but not the half broken DE blades. I don't see how much different the shave is going to be compared to regular DE razors, since they use the same blades. The other types are much different, since the blades are much thicker and longer.

There's a good reason why these types of razors are not very popular in the shaving communities and one of them is that the blades were never originally intended to be used like this just like with the shavette that use half broken DE blades.

If you really want to try a real SE razor, then I suggest you to try an injector razor, which imo will blow away any of these experimental types of razors with ease and if you want to step up the game with something even better, get an AC style razor like the Razorock Hawk V3, Blackland Vector or the few other similar options.

As always -YMMV.

Last edited:
The focus is a great little razor, just hindered by that awful loading mechanism. The yaqi We half de is superb nice and smooth and the twig is a regular for me. Ymmv

I only use SE now. The Guard is probably my favourite and I also have a vintage Schick injector along with a Broman. I actually find the injector to be the mildest.

At the minute I am using my Broman with Permasharp half blades and Palmolive cream. I love this combo. It is a mild to medium razor in my view. Very easy to change blades. As far as I can see the Broman sold out completely and Covid came along to cause major issues with delivery and production. I would buy a back up if they were to resurface.

Top Bottom