What's new

Project for a rainy day - old post encoding

Since there's never much to do after a site upgrade :p I thought I'd toss this out in case y'all get bored. One forseeable and I presume intended effect of the related topics block is to highlight additional topics for discovery. Indeed I recently saw a topic in that block and said, heck ya I want to read that. But man, it was a struggle. This from a post in 2014:

When I think of a ‘progression’ – the only progression I consider is the condition of the edge. I do not consider going 1, 2, 3, 5k – etc – to be ‘the’ progression to focus on. Up/down – whatever it takes to get ‘the’ edge ‘there’ is all that matters to me. In short – if the edge isn’t ‘there’ at the 8k, going back to the 3k can be a good thing. If the edge isn’t there on Koma Slurry – going back to Mejiro is a good idea, and it’s entirely possible that going back to Botan is a better idea.

I imagine the issue might be a result of some prior upgrade (perhaps a change in the database encoding), but man it's heck (I mean, it’s heck) on readability. I have no idea if or how it can be attacked, though.

Perhaps a project for a rainy day :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
QED

When I think of a 'progression', the only progression I consider is the condition of the edge. I do not consider going 1, 2, 3, 5k, etc, to be 'the' progression to focus on. Up/down, whatever it takes to get 'the' edge 'there' is all that matters to me. In short, if the edge isn't 'there' at the 8k, going back to the 3k can be a good thing. If the edge isn't there on Koma Slurry, going back to Mejiro is a good idea, and it's entirely possible that going back to Botan is a better idea.

😁

Since there's never much to do after a site upgrade :p I thought I'd toss this out in case y'all get bored. One forseeable and I presume intended effect of the related topics block is to highlight additional topics for discovery. Indeed I recently saw a topic in that block and said, heck ya I want to read that. But man, it was a struggle. This from a post in 2014:

I imagine the issue might be a result of some prior upgrade (perhaps a change in the database encoding), but man it's heck (I mean, it’s heck) on readability. I have no idea if or how it can be attacked, though.

Perhaps a project for a rainy day :)

Perhaps there is a module for

Unicode Entities to Text Conversion

I suspect a sufficiently narrow SQL query might be plausible, but you'd likely want to target just the post body and only a certain date range to avoid unintended consequences elsewhere.

I have a similar issue on a dog forum with a long and sordid platform history but am too clueless to address it.

Top Bottom