What's new

First Shavette: Lots of Questions

I love my shavette. Its a Diamond Edge or something 5 dollar amazon special. Its not that i can get a closer shave with it, but i gett the most comfortable irritation free shaves with it. You can control the blade angle to perfect how you want it for each area you shave. Deep and close, or shallow and more comfortable. You will cut yourself with one a few times at first so an alum block is good idea, but that will pass after a month or so. They are sharp especially with a sharper blade, and very unforgiving with small mistakes. But also that will pass and you will be able to wisk off the hair in a few passes that take maby five-ten minutes. Synthetic brush..... plissoft is my recomendation. Osma alum block even if you dont cut yourself still use it... it helps me. Lather dosnt need to be thick for a strait open blade, but very slick. Any shave soap or cream would proly be ok as long as you keep it wet enough. I use conk, prorasco, arko, etc.... blades are a tough recommendation cause tbey are so different for each person but i would say sharper blades such as personna blue, astra sp, polsilver, gillette platinum, or feathers. Good luck and hope you like it!

My SO bought me a Dovo shavette a couple of months ago. I've been experimenting with it occasionally. The main thing I've found is that I have to be absolutely sure to get enough water into my lather - I definitely add more water than when I use the DE.
So far I haven't been as picky about blade choice as with the DE (which has come as a surprise). Sharks, Personna, and even Feather have all felt pretty decent. I've haven't even managed to draw much blood yet, and I think this has helped with less pressure on my DE shaves. Overall, the shavette has been a fun addition to my mornings.

Thank you for your input. @SirChangalot I was browsing amazon and found taylor of old bond street lavender cream for $14 and a $12 badger brush. What do you think? Also, derby, shark or astra platinum blades? Thank you!
I can't comment on shavettes yet (I have a new feather AC unused, but ready to roll soon), but will comment on the other three items in your quote:

Cream: TOBS are decent creams to start with, though they are fairly strongly scented IMO. The scent is light and not long lasting once shaved however, but strong enough in the tub. A tub will last you a very long time - 3 to 6 mos depending on use. So while not dirt cheap, I found TOBS creams a pretty good value in the scheme of things. They are very easy to lather, perform well enough, and rinse off easily and cleanly. They have no real negative qualities. They are easily & commonly available. I prefer Avocado due to what I perceive as superior lubricant qualities, at least over the other several TOBS scents I tried (including Sandlewood). The avocado is a unique scent and should be sampled firstly, though. I'm neutral on the scent, but love the performance! As you can see by my sig.

Brush: I'd first get a synthetic brush if using a cream. No hassle, no prep, and easy to clean & dry. Can be used everyday, and no need for soaking! There's many examples for a reasonable price that have a 'Plisson equivalent' knot. I have a Fine Accouterments 20mm I bought retail off-the-shelf locally for under 20 bucks, and an authentic Plisson I paid a lot more for from Paris. I love 'em both! Again, as you can see by my sig.

Blade: Of the three you listed, I definitely would get the Astra SPs. Relatively cheap, sharp enough, smooth enough, reasonably robust, and easily available. They're my standard reference blade to test a new razor, though I've lately gotten the desire to try and find something sharper. But I took a year to get here though, and even so I may end-up sticking with the Astra before it's over! And yet again, see my sig!

So there ya' go. Three products I use myself as my go-to products, where I vote with my hard earned dollars and proclaim the results in my sig.

If you chose any of them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I.

I'll go in a different direction. :) I shave with DE's and with straights. I love both. I tried a shavette a few years ago and I hated it. It had none of the feel of a straight (to me) and was very unforgiving and just had no "vibe" :) to me.

You can get a shave ready straight from Whipped Dog, strop, chromium oxide paste, and a quartered 12k finishing hone for your budget and that should be all you would need to keep that straight going indefinitely. Just a thought. :)

Top Bottom