What's new

First Shavette: Lots of Questions

Dear B&B community,

I’m 18 and have been shaving since about 13.5. I started with an electric shaver. As time passed it started to pull on the beard, perhaps as a result of the blades going dull, so I switched to cartridges at 16. Shaved with those ripoffs until this summer. Now I shave with disposable single blade bics(70’s style). Ironically they cost about five times cheaper yet shave better than the cartridges

I want to take close shaving to the next level by switching to a shavette. I have never shaved or been shaved with a straight razor or a safety razor before, only disposable and cartridge. Knowing this one may rightfully suggest that it would be more logical to get a safety razor first and then move to a straight, but I am a bit Impatient so I want to bite the bullet and just go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? I don’t think you can slice your face off unless you are absolutely reckless. To avoid the maintenance of a “real” straight razor, I want to purchase a shavette.

I have read a lot online about shaving, razors, blades, creams, soaps, brushes and technique, but I still have a number of questions that I would like to get more specific answers to;

1. Which shavette? The full metal Parker SR1 seems to be a pretty good deal for 20 bucks. I also like the Dovo Shavette for it’s smooth profile.
One thing I have noticed about shavettes is that they have flat sides. On most shavettes, including the SR1, only the bottom quarter inch near the edge of the blade is sloped, while “real” straight razors usually have a smooth sloped profile, like a knife, with the thinnest point being of the razor the edge of the blade and the widest point being the top of the spine.
Given that the “real” straight razor is considered the ultimate best shaving device, my theory is that the best shavette is the one that mimics that natural smooth slope of a “real” straight razor the best.

2. Which blades? I think that standard half DE blades would work better than the super wide shavette-specific blades because narrower blades should be easier to maneuver. What brand though?

3. Canned shaving cream vs traditional cream/soap: While some compare pairing a straight razor with barbasol to drinking fine wine with a mcdonalds burger, others claim it works okay. A lot of people argue against canned creams because the contain a lot of toxic substances and numbing agents. I can agree with that as my face generally feels pretty numb after shaving. What do you think? I don’t want to spend way too much right now so if it’s alright I can get a decent shavette and blades for now and buy traditional cream/soap and a brush later.

4. Which cream/soap? I am very sensitive to stimuli and I don’t like overly strong, heavy, sweet or tart smells. Heavily spiced food, heavy and tart perfumes irritate me. I can’t comfortably stand next to someone who has bathed in a heavy/spicy/tart perfume. Especially those who have poor hygiene and try to conceal it with gallons of perfume. But that’s another topic. What I’m trying to say is that for me heavily scented creams/soaps, stuff like bay leaf, cinnamon, coffee, uber-macho “manly” scents are unacceptable. I want something very feminine like a subtle hint of lavender.

5. What else other than a shavette, razor blades, brush and soap do I need? What if I cut myself? Should I get an alum bar? Preshave? Aftershave? I have not used aftershave for over a year because it doesn’t really help me.

6. Homemade shaving cream/soap? As I mentioned I like feminine fragrances. If I can make a homemade cream/soap that would save me money and be better for my skin, I would give it a try. Has anyone had any successful experiences with this?

7. My budget is about $80. If needed, I can first buy the shavette and the blades and later the cream/soap and brush.

Thank you and Merry upcoming Christmas everyone!
icon11.png

Wow, a lot of questions. First, welcome to B&B and the forums.

I have never used a shavette. I really like DE razors. So I can't really speak to those. If you ever decide to look at DE razors, the Merkur 34C is a great start and a great finish razor.

Blades - every one is different. I like Volkhods, Seven O'clocks, and Astra SPs.

Shaving creams - hands down any cream or soap will be an improvement over anything that comes in a can. I love my Taylor of Old Bond Street cream in a bowl, Haslinger soaps, and DR Harris soaps. I also like Captain's Choice North Croap, a soft soap that isn't quite a cream.

Regarding brushes, I have a cheap badger that I like, but would like something else. I also have a boar, which is great for soaps, especially hard soaps. I would personally like to get some higher end brushes but that just isn't in the budget right now.

With a budget of $80, I would personally recommend a Merkur 34C DE razor, a puck of Haslinger or TOBS in a plastic or ceramic container, and a Razorock Plissoft brush or Omega boards brush.

Regardless of what you choose, enjoy every step of the journey. Like most things in life, it is a process, not an end point.

Welcome! The weck is the shavette which is regarded to shave almost like a straight. The problem is that it is not made anymotre and you have to buy it on ebay or some other place. The blades are personna hair shapers and are availible at barber supply stores.
Regarding brush and soap, if you live in the US italian barber or maggards sell synthetic brushes for 10 usd, soap can also be had for very cheap, there is a huge variety in unscented soaps/creams. I would say that the brush/soap setup is more important to a superior shave than using a shavette.

Thank you for your input. [MENTION=109827]SirChangalot[/MENTION] I was browsing amazon and found taylor of old bond street lavender cream for $14 and a $12 badger brush. What do you think? Also, derby, shark or astra platinum blades? Thank you!

Thank you for your input. @SirChangalot I was browsing amazon and found taylor of old bond street lavender cream for $14 and a $12 badger brush. What do you think? Also, derby, shark or astra platinum blades? Thank you!
You would do well to stay away from from cheap badgers. They are prickly and uncomfortable. Boars and synthetics are the best if you are on a budget. Taylor is a very good cream, one of my favourites. Astra sp are some of the best I have tried

Hey BlackSabbath,

Personally, I started with DE safety razor shaving, but I have used a few shavettes.

The longer blades that are specific to shavettes (Feather, Kai, Weck) are closer to the feel of an actual straight. The DE shorter blades you would use in a Parker are very sharp, thin, and unforgiving. If you are on a budget however, the Parker shavettes are not a bad idea, as they are all built quite well, and are capable of a good shave once you have practiced. The SR1 is good, but if you can get your hands on the heavier SRX, even better.

Blades: Shavettes are light, so use something sharp enough. I like Astra Platinum, as they balance smoothness and sharpness. This is something that will be specific to your skin and style, however. Feather are a very sharp option, and Derby Extra are a little smoother and less aggressive.

Brush/Soap: What SirChangalot said. An inexpensive badger is great as well, but make sure the manufacturer is well known.

Lastly, watch a lot of instructional videos! Use very little pressure and go slowly, as shavettes are known to be a little more difficult to work with than straights. The technique, you will find, is slightly different, with a shallower angle required. I hope you will find the wet shaving experience rewarding.

Best of luck!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself. Good luck on your shavette journey.

I am considering a dovo shavette but after reading this guy's review:
$Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 3.05.15 PM.png

I went on Amazon and found this:
$Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 3.06.06 PM.jpg

The reviews are mostly positive. Just sounds too good to be true. Should I?

I bought a DOVO shavette and DOVO blades because I thought I wanted to straight razor shave, turns out I couldn't get the hang of it and switched to DE Shaving, don't drop a lot on a straight razor cause it may not be for you. Dovo shavette is plenty enough. 100% go with a tub of shave cream over the canned stuff, much better.

I've used lots of different shavettes. I have a huge writeup on many different shavettes here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...tte-And-Barber-Razor-Enthusiast-(SABRE)-group

But, I do not think you can access that part of the forum until you have 45 posts.

My opinion summed up:

DE blade shavettes are ok, but they are very unforgiving of technique. DE blades are sharper than a traditional straight razor and therefore they are harsher and more prone to cutting you.

If you are on a budget, you are much better off buying a Vintage Weck Sextoblade or hair shaper style shavette and usng hair shaper blades. The razors are easy to find on eBay and the blades can be found at Sally beauty. You can get everything you need for $20-30. it is by far, my favorite, and most recommended shavette.

The Feather shavette is very nice, but outside your budget. The longer feather blades are very nice and give a great shave. Most prefer and recommend this, and if you can afford it, you wont be disappointed.

Also recommend any shavette that will take an injector blade. Much better for shaving in a shavette than a DE blade.

Get something with some weight to the scales. Doesn't have to be solid metal, but something that is about the same as a true straight. I like the dovo system for the shave, but the scales are too light.

I have both a Feather AC RG folding razor and a CJB non-folding razor which can take the same blades. They both give amazing shaves; I find the CJB much easier to use. The CJB might even fit in your stated budget. In any case, if you're serious about getting into shavettes, you'll want to think about these at some point.

I've used lots of different shavettes. I have a huge writeup on many different shavettes here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...tte-And-Barber-Razor-Enthusiast-(SABRE)-group

But, I do not think you can access that part of the forum until you have 45 posts.

My opinion summed up:

DE blade shavettes are ok, but they are very unforgiving of technique. DE blades are sharper than a traditional straight razor and therefore they are harsher and more prone to cutting you.

If you are on a budget, you are much better off buying a Vintage Weck Sextoblade or hair shaper style shavette and usng hair shaper blades. The razors are easy to find on eBay and the blades can be found at Sally beauty. You can get everything you need for $20-30. it is by far, my favorite, and most recommended shavette.

The Feather shavette is very nice, but outside your budget. The longer feather blades are very nice and give a great shave. Most prefer and recommend this, and if you can afford it, you wont be disappointed.

Also recommend any shavette that will take an injector blade. Much better for shaving in a shavette than a DE blade.

Get something with some weight to the scales. Doesn't have to be solid metal, but something that is about the same as a true straight. I like the dovo system for the shave, but the scales are too light.

+1 everything just mentioned is true especially about them being unforgiving I've never cut myself with a de but the shavette most definitely if your not careful, my advice once you decide what to get take your time it's not a race and you will be rewarded with a great shave

My opinion summed up:

+1

I picked up a Parker SR1 from Maggard and have yet to try it out... I am a bit nervous given the general opinion here about how unforgiving the DE blade shavettes can be... whats the consensus here on the CJB vs a western style hair shaper? Would one be better for a beginner?

Top Bottom