What's new

What works best to remove minor rust and polish a double edge razor a bit without damaging the finish?

(I'm not a restorer (obviously). Own no Rocnels or Wolfmans. Just trying to maintain a few new and a few vintage double-edge razors without wrecking them.)

There are so many suggestions out there. Toothbrush and dish soap. WD-40. White vinegar. Baking soda. Toothpaste. Flitz. Maas. Neither of those (too abrasive). Then there's this that makes it sound like any rust remover will wreck the razor. Silver Polish Reviews & Ratings, Best Silver Polishes & Abrasion Ratings - https://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm What's a reasonable approach to this? What do you guys do?

I've found that blade rust stains come out with the dish soap/toothbrush treatment.

I recently used Wright's Silver Cream on an old silver-plated Gillette NEW that had some tarnish. It turned out great, even though the link you provided said it's very abrasive.
Thanks. I'll try the toothbrush/dish soap method. Can't get much easier than that.

And about that chart, Wright's is just very abrasive. Flitz and Maas are severely abrasive.

Does anybody know how reliable that chart is?

I've found that blade rust stains come out with the dish soap/toothbrush treatment.
I second this. Remember most vintage razors are nickel plated brass (you did not mention which manufacturer we are talking about), so not much rust involved with the actual razor except for the blade that may have been left in there.

For example: This is a pre-war Fat Handle Tech purchased off of the bay for less than $10 shipped about 4 months ago ..

As received ...

IMG_20210109_193743173.jpg

5 minutes later with nothing but hot (not boiling) soapy water and a tooth brush ...

IMG_20210202_175401283.jpg

Try the hot soapy water part first, you will be amazed at how clean it comes with that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I second this. Remember most vintage razors are nickel plated brass (you did not mention which manufacturer we are talking about), so not much rust involved with the actual razor except for the blade that may have been left in there.

For example: This is a pre-war Fat Handle Tech purchased off of the bay for less than $10 shipped about 4 months ago ..

As received ...

View attachment 1340099

5 minutes later with nothing but hot (not boiling) soapy water and a tooth brush ...

View attachment 1340101

Try the hot soapy water part first, you will be amazed at how clean it comes with that.
Brother, if I didn't know you to be a gentleman, I'd not believe that is the same razor! WELL done my friend.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks. When it comes to Flitz, I've heard very light pressure and short contact (5-10 seconds) time. Would you agree?

You're overly, I think. I recommend Flitz because it is about the least abrasive thing you can use while still being an abrasive. That said, it won't take long. Use a very small dab, lightly polish with a microfiber cloth, rinse and see where you are. Dont' overthink it.

You'd be surprised how far a toothbrush and some dawn dish detergent will get you, though, as has been mentioned.

As received ...

View attachment 1340099

View attachment 1340101

Simply amazing! Thanks.

You're overly, I think. I recommend Flitz because it is about the least abrasive thing you can use while still being an abrasive. That said, it won't take long. Use a very small dab, lightly polish with a microfiber cloth, rinse and see where you are. Dont' overthink it.

You'd be surprised how far a toothbrush and some dawn dish detergent will get you, though, as has been mentioned.

Good. I needed to hear this:

it is about the least abrasive thing you can use while still being an abrasive

I'm buying some. Thanks.

Toothpaste is probably less abrasive than Flitz. So if you are really worried about the finish you could start with Dawn and a soft toothbrush, then if that doesn't work move to toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Finally, if it needs more, use the Flitz.
It is a but counterintuitive, but don't use a toothbrush when polishing with toothpaste, use a microfiber cloth.

Toothpaste is probably less abrasive than Flitz. So if you are really worried about the finish you could start with Dawn and a soft toothbrush, then if that doesn't work move to toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Finally, if it needs more, use the Flitz.
It is a but counterintuitive, but don't use a toothbrush when polishing with toothpaste, use a microfiber cloth.
Most toothpaste will strip off thin gold wash from vintage Gillette's since it contains titanium dioxide which is moderately abrasive. I learned that the hard way. I never use anything abrasive on gold washed razors. Nickel plate is tough and can be polished with toothpaste.

Great. Thank you for the nuanced protocol.

Most toothpaste will strip off thin gold wash from vintage Gillette's since it contains titanium dioxide which is moderately abrasive. I learned that the hard way. I never use anything abrasive on gold washed razors. Nickel plate is tough and can be polished with toothpaste.
What are gold washed razors? I have a vintage Aristorcrat that's gold in color. Would that be considered gold washed?

Top Bottom