What's new

What did you hone today?

Yaron I dont think you need to go to Botan after the 10k Naniwa. That's going way back, I use botan after bevel set to take out the deeper scratches or if the bevel has been honed and now has issues like bigger chips. You have mejiro, a purist will say use koma, I do, but you can go to tomo from a mejiro.
If you dont have a tomo and you just go to water from the mejiro, that's something I have never tried.
I always finish on stone slurry, be it broken in 1200 atoma slurry or tomo. Then you experiment with how much slurry you finish on.
some stones like more some less. Also steel plays a role.

So in your situation I would start with honing on the Naniwas to shave ready and then raise Atoma or tomo slurry and see what you get. Can you make the edge better with varying consistencies of slurry?
Once you sort that out then start introducing mikawa. One step at a time.

I see you are from Prague. Nice. I lived there for 8 years 😀

Yaron I dont think you need to go to Botan after the 10k Naniwa. That's going way back, I use botan after bevel set to take out the deeper scratches or if the bevel has been honed and now has issues like bigger chips. You have mejiro, a purist will say use koma, I do, but you can go to tomo from a mejiro.
If you dont have a tomo and you just go to water from the mejiro, that's something I have never tried.
I always finish on stone slurry, be it broken in 1200 atoma slurry or tomo. Then you experiment with how much slurry you finish on.
some stones like more some less. Also steel plays a role.

So in your situation I would start with honing on the Naniwas to shave ready and then raise Atoma or tomo slurry and see what you get. Can you make the edge better with varying consistencies of slurry?
Once you sort that out then start introducing mikawa. One step at a time.

I see you are from Prague. Nice. I lived there for 8 years 😀
Thank you @alex1921
I just ordered Atoma 1200
After honing on Naniwas, should i use first Mejiro slurry or slurry from Atoma 1200 ?
Which is coarser?
Sending greetings from Prague 👋

It does not work that way, grit wise. Naturals could be higher or lower in grit size but does not matter. The goal in jumping to a Jnat is to remove any 8k stria and lay down a Kasumi finish and edge. A lower more aggressive grit, Tenjo may be more beneficial to the bevel and edge development.

Try a Diamond slurry to see what your stone is capable of. Most stones will finish well on thick- ish diamond slurry and remove stria quickly, then thin by removing half the slurry with damp sponge and refine/thin more. Some can finish well on thinned slurry or Koma or hard Tomo.

Experiment to find the best finish for the razor and the stone. Also experiment with diamond slurry, I often make slurry with a 400 plate, there are no rules, just what works. You do not need a 5 nagura progression after a synthetic progression to 8k, but you can if you wish, again with the “rules”.

Venturing *way* out of my depth here. Revisor was one of the victims of falling from a great height (tragic shelf collapse; don't ask) and after a cursory edge examination I didn't see any dings so had thought it escaped unharmed. However last shave with Revisor was garbage and after an attempt to reset the bevel and start over I guess I see why.
IMG_1470.jpeg

Thought I might just hone endlessly until a bevel revealed, but even after it did (with some help from a heavy finger and some rolling strokes) I simply could not get anything approaching a good bevel end-to-end. Before I simply go to town on the spine and turn it into an even more hideous mess I thought maybe I'd try using the edges of some stones to see if I could get closer. *Finally* I got some HHT hair popping along the full length. It ain't pretty, but it will be interesting to see if at least shaves this time.

IMG_1481.jpeg

Venturing *way* out of my depth here. Revisor was one of the victims of falling from a great height (tragic shelf collapse; don't ask) and after a cursory edge examination I didn't see any dings so had thought it escaped unharmed. However last shave with Revisor was garbage and after an attempt to reset the bevel and start over I guess I see why.
View attachment 1322601

Thought I might just hone endlessly until a bevel revealed, but even after it did (with some help from a heavy finger and some rolling strokes) I simply could not get anything approaching a good bevel end-to-end. Before I simply go to town on the spine and turn it into an even more hideous mess I thought maybe I'd try using the edges of some stones to see if I could get closer. *Finally* I got some HHT hair popping along the full length. It ain't pretty, but it will be interesting to see if at least shaves this time.

View attachment 1322623

Interesting to see someone using the sides of some thick hones. Can you tell us how this went relative to using the full face with a rolling stroke? The progression of stones used?

Progression was shapton 1500, 5k, naniwa 8k, suehiro 20k. I would have inserted a 12k superstone in there but I only have the cracker-thin version. In many ways it felt easier to use the edges than full surface because I am still quite a klutz and my rolling strokes are not very consistent. I will say that the two shaptons were the hardest to manage since they had to do the bulk of the work and it was easier to rock on their rather narrow edges. The 8 and 20 were easier, even though only a wee bit thicker. To my relief I could see undercutting on all of them and the Gok felt creamy.

It ain't pretty, but it will be interesting to see if at least shaves this time.
The shave was 10x better at least. In earlier days I would have been thrilled! It lacked refinement, though, to put it politely. I think the next step at some point is to try finishing again (at some point in the future) trying rolling strokes again since I seem to at least have a bevel and clearly need the practice. :p

Trying out a little Thuri I bought for someone else before sending to him. First time I've used one, and I can kinda see why people go crazy for these.

IMG-2627.jpg

And some thinning on a Cretan stone:

IMG-2595.jpg

IMG-2615.jpg

What was particularly remarkable though was the finish it left. I don't know any non-Japanese stone that will get near this in terms of bevel polishing.

IMG-2631.jpg

Tried the same on another knife to make sure.

IMG-2582.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the rubber on the tang.
I cut mine off my Barbas Duras after a few weeks of use. It was a moisture trap that I didn't want to deal with.
It felt great in the hand though.

I have mixed feelings about the rubber on the tang.
I cut mine off my Barbas Duras after a few weeks of use. It was a moisture trap that I didn't want to deal with.
It felt great in the hand though.
Yeah I was just thinking about it as I was honing it. It feels nice but it's a liability. I went to the sink to wash the slurry and as I tilted the razor the water run straight to the rubber.

I started getting the beginning of rust under mine in no time (just lift the edge of the rubber and check) and that was it, she came off.
I had no intention of selling it so not a big deal.

Top Bottom