What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

First shave with this no-number Heljestrand.
20210809_063356.jpg

Vintage Meiho 170 Deluxe Tamako Tamahagane Japanese straight razor
Shobu Mizu Asagi edge 8th shave

While not to much is known about thus razor artisan, You can appreciate excellent grind and hollow grind
The metal is amazingly smooth face feel but deadly sharp , blade is delicate blade crafted by a master blade artisan
20.8 blade
Wholly Kaw King of Bourbon provided glide
Cheers
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tue 10 SR SOTD
Cream Arko Cool
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Silvertip Badger
Razor Torrey 5/8 Wedgie
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + HA + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Superb performance from the cream! The brush was just awesome to create an amazingly creamy and slick lather...
This shave with the small razor was surprisingly and unexpectedly great!! Having just put the razor through the pasted balsa progression exactly as per @rbscebu advice...wow...the edge was keen yet smooth and very comfortably maneuverable, especially around the lips area. 3passes for a between bbs/dfs/ccs finish. Finally, an efficient result with an SR! I really enjoyed using this Torrey!!
20210810_134526.jpg

My 3rd Ralf Aust acquisition was taken on it's first shave. I'm very happy with this one as well. With some initial stropping, this was shave-ready with good sharpness.

Aust Ralf 6/8 Square Point, African Blackwood scales
Simpsons Duke 3 Manchurian
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica Soap
Saponificio Varesino Tundra AS

P8100130 (2).JPG

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Quite the interesting shave today, I’m testing the edge from a current issue purple Pierre La Lune against the vintage ‘Blue Moon’, using undiluted glycerin. This purple stone has been giving me very smooth, close shaves, but the edge is aggressive. Red dots on the chin are the norm, but straight glycerin on the vintage Blue Moon seemed to produce a less bitey edge that was still close and smooth. My glycerin is about 90 weight, so did it tame the ‘grape ape?? Pretty much yes (see below), so I think that I’ve found my method with this stone. YMMV of course, and if you like shavette edges dilute the glycerin 50/50, use Smith’s, baby oil, etc.

For those of you following the Tabacpocalypse, whrere’s the beef (tallow)? Why right here gentlemen, D. R. Harris went from palm to tallow about a year or year and a half ago. I shaved with the old non-tallow version just a couple of days ago I think, using the same brush and a F14 Novodur. So how do the tallow vs non-tallow versions compare? Latherability the same, but I’ve also noted that the current tallow version does seem to have less residual slickness than the old non-tallow palm oil version, and the razor stuck and dug in once on a repeat pass giving ne a red dot. No real nick or blood though. @DaveHStone attn! That slickness can be brought back by rubbing your skin with wet fingers, but just like the Tabac observations, I think that the non-tallow versions of DRH are slicker - which is enough to make your decision if you use straight razors. I wish I had non-tallow Tabac.

Razor, user grade Filarmonica 14, soap was the current tallow version of D. R. Harris lavender, lathered with a Keyhole 3, and AS was Myrsol Limon for the hot weather. Note: the soap bowl is my non-tallow bowl, I don’t have a bowl for the tallow refill puck.

DB8DA854-EA66-4781-A496-6BB15341D0FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom