What's new

Playing CDs in New Car

My wife and I bought a new Ford SUV, which does not have a CD player. I know that CDs are ancient history; however, I have a collection and would like to be able to play them while driving. Any suggestions for plug-ins or alternatives for playing CDs thru the vehicle's audio system?

Our 2004 Accord had a 6 CD changer. My wife and I just assumed that every new car came with a CD player, until we picked up her 2018 Rav4 Limited. Then, on the way home, it was *** where do the CDs go? I then had to load her favorite oldies onto her iPhone to blue tooth (?) to the radio. Fortunately I have an old iPod, with hundreds of oldies, that I can jack into her stupid car for longer trips.

Our last two new cars 2013 & 2017 didn't have a CD players I was new to me that CDs are ancient history. I've got more than 200 of them!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Honest answer - - move in to the digital age. Subscribe to one of the many music streaming services out there.

I’m pretty sure your only option is going to be a portable CD player. Which is going to be a PITA swapping CD’s while driving. Plus will burn through batteries. I don’t think I’ve listened to a CD in the car since…2003 or 2004. Soon as MP3 players took off I gave up on CD’s. Soon as smartphones took off I gave up on MP3 players. I just use my phone via Bluetooth for car radio entertainment and have for years now. I don’t even own any CD‘s. Or DVD’s. Life is really better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Spotify is 10 bucks a month for unlimited music and Playlist creation. You can do Spotify free, but can't save playlists and getting a specific song rather than just a genre or group isn't possible.
An alternative may be to rip your CD's to mp3 and play them off of a USB drive if the car has a USB port.

You think you have it tough? 8-tracks

Ah the memory that dredges up. - Early 80s and my college roommate and I did a quick weekend trip home to CT from Ohio. We didn't head back to Ohio from his house in Ridgefield until 7 or 8 at night, and right about Scranton the muffler fell off the Volvo. Radio is spotty along 80 in Pennsylvania (not that we would have heard it anyway) so all we had was an 8-track of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass which we had to crank full volume to mitigate the lack of a muffler. It was a long, very long night. We got back with little time to spare before our 8am classes.

I would still play my old cassettes if that was an option.

We only get a car as a rental for camping trips, and it was a big disappointment when they stopped having CD players. We had our road favourites.

We can’t be bothered to get with the times, so we have gone the other way. Now the entertainment system is a girl with a ukulele. It’s really great and I would recommend it to anyone.

What about Amazon Music? I've got quite a few downloads. Would it play thru my phone connected to the USB port on the car?

I would still play my old cassettes if that was an option.

We only get a car as a rental for camping trips, and it was a big disappointment when they stopped having CD players. We had our road favourites.

We can’t be bothered to get with the times, so we have gone the other way. Now the entertainment system is a girl with a ukulele. It’s really great and I would recommend it to anyone.

Love the quote in your signature: "At 50, everyone has the face he deserves"

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
What about Amazon Music? I've got quite a few downloads. Would it play thru my phone connected to the USB port on the car?

Mine does - I just took delivery of my first CD-less vehicle in April. The free trial of Sirius just expired, but the Amazon Music works through the phone to the car stereo.

I play mine via Bluetooth, but USB should work. I have an unlimited data plan so I just stream it. Great stuff, Amazon Music. It also plays on my smart speaker at home.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My car has a CD player but I prefer CD's ripped to FLAC format on my phone. I also stream music over Bluetooth.
I don't miss having to change a CD while diving........or asking the wife to do it.

I have a portable, rechargeable bluetooth-compatible CD player. I'll have to buy and adapter* to plug in to the USB port in the car, but it may work ok.

*USB to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter, USB to Aux Cable

They can keep their bluetooth. I want my passenger side key door lock back....

The wife's car has an aux port. We use an old mp3 player or plug in my phone.

My 2016 Buick still has a CD player as well as one or two USB ports. Oddly, though, I don't play CDs much unless I'll be driving some distance. I have a slew of favorites of all genres and time periods on a flash drive I keep in the car. I'd think there are portable CD players you could plug into the audio system, right?

Hercule, I'm curious. Do you remember what Herb Alpert & TJB album that you had on 8-track? If not, do you recall any of the songs? i've been a Herb Alpert fan since I was about 12-13, and still have a lot of my favorites on that flash drive.

Top Bottom