What's new

Playing CDs in New Car

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Forgive me, but your image (from the Triumph's of Maximillian) predates Beethoven by more that two and a half centuries.

Thanks, I'll have the Mods replace it with the one you provided dating from the 1820s.

My wife and I bought a new Ford SUV, which does not have a CD player. I know that CDs are ancient history; however, I have a collection and would like to be able to play them while driving. Any suggestions for plug-ins or alternatives for playing CDs thru the vehicle's audio system?
I ran into the same problem. I literally have thousands of CD's. I've ripped tracks that I like the most (in some instances the artists entire catalogue) onto my computer hard drive. I've loaded several flash drives with music and books and now use the flash drive in the USB port to play audio. A cheap $10 drive can easily hold over a thousand songs.

We were lucky in that both the newer vehicles we purchased had a CD player. I'm one of the few who like having the actual physical items vs something I have to stream, including movies. Doesn't streaming the music "live" off your phone use your data plan as well?
I'm with you; I prefer having the physical object. I still collect CDs and DVDs/Blu-rays even though the rest of the world has moved on to streaming. But my collection also means I can appreciate and enjoy some of my favorites even when they're not being streamed. It also means I have something as unheralded and hard to find as Jack Benny's To Be or Not To Be (not to be confused with the Mel Brooks remake).

We were lucky in that both the newer vehicles we purchased had a CD player. I'm one of the few who like having the actual physical items vs something I have to stream, including movies. Doesn't streaming the music "live" off your phone use your data plan as well?

Yes, streaming live music using your phone does consume data. However, I have my entire CD collection ripped to FLAC files and stored on the memory card of the phone. We just got home after driving 500 miles. I played several CDs from my collection without ever touching a CD. The phone played back through the car's entertainment system using Bluetooth.

Top Bottom