What's new

Lupo stainless?

I personally like the 2nd Gen Lupo.72, I read the reviews on the 1st Gen Aluminum Lupo and the coated stainless steel Lupo and knew the Lupo.72 would be very close to those desired tolerances. Also I knew if there was not a enough blade feel I could slip in a Kai SS blade and have a very close shave & no need for the .95 base plate possibly. The Lupo.95 seems like a good razor for folks who want more a little more blade feel and with smoothness & efficentcy is what I have gathered. From the reviews on Italian barber the Lupo.72 is more talked about and is enjoyed by more than the Lupo.95. It's a personal preference, Lupo.72 is more a daily driver than the .95 IMO.
Have some great shaves!
After few weeks of research for mild to aggressive razor (i was between Ej316, Lupo .72, GC .84SB, Muhle Rocca v.4) I finally ordered the Lupo 72 with ufo handle.
Received my Lupo .72 yesterday and I got the first shave in today on two days whiskers.
My setup was Nachet on first use, soap A&E Asian plum......one of the best shaves I have ever, comfort, efficiency, smoothness, irritation free, a perfect shave.
Lupo .72 indeed is amazing razor.
Thank you very much Ron R for your advices.

First (and last) shave with a Rapira Swedish Supersteel. This blade is made in the same factory as Voshkods. This shows, as my notes are almost the same for the two. These blades are not sharp (if I called the Treet platinum not-so-sharp, this would be butterknife sharp...), smoothness is ok, other then the pulling caused by the lack of sharpness. During the 1st pass it struggled to cut, the most pulling I experienced lately with a DE blade. (I used other dull blades like derby or merkur a long time ago, and I'm trying to forget them, especially the merkur.) 2nd pass felt OKish. No irritation or stinging, with an OK closeness. So it could be a good blade for guys with not strong whiskers. However, just like the Voshkod, this blade got stained 2 hours after use. When there are so many quality blades out there, I don't see a reason to try to "handle" the staining (i.e. dry the blade separately). I just binned it and put it on my banned blade list.

After few weeks of research for mild to aggressive razor (i was between Ej316, Lupo .72, GC .84SB, Muhle Rocca v.4) I finally ordered the Lupo 72 with ufo handle.
Received my Lupo .72 yesterday and I got the first shave in today on two days whiskers.
My setup was Nachet on first use, soap A&E Asian plum......one of the best shaves I have ever, comfort, efficiency, smoothness, irritation free, a perfect shave.

Glad you had a good first impression! I’ve had my Lupo 72 for 3 weeks now, and I’ve been incredibly impressed. I really like the UFO handle as well. Good weight, and when shaving South to North my finger rests nicely in the groove above the ball which makes it feel secure without gripping too hard.

I'm sure someone has already asked this, but does anyone know how the Lupo aluminum compares to the .72 or .95 in terms of blade gap or feel? I've been using the Lupo aluminum for over a year and really like it, but am curious about the SS version.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm glade the Lupo.72 worked out for yourself, I did some hobby USB microscope testing with the Lupo's .72 & .95 for blade exposure and there is not a lot of difference between the two razors but the Lupo.95 wins in that category with about 1/1000 inch or .025mm more exposure to my estimation and that seems correct because of the increased gap the Lupo.95 has.
Enjoy and you have will have a life time of quality shaves no doubt.

My understanding was that the aluminum one is closer to the Gap of the .72 but of course is lighter and shaves differently for me at least. Full disclosure, I don't care for lighter razors.

I'm glade the Lupo.72 worked out for yourself, I did some hobby USB microscope testing with the Lupo's .72 & .95 for blade exposure and there is not a lot of difference between the two razors but the Lupo.95 wins in that category with about 1/1000 inch or .025mm more exposure to my estimation and that seems correct because of the increased gap the Lupo.95 has.
Enjoy and you have will have a life time of quality shaves no doubt.

So after using the .72 for 3 weeks, and the .95 for 2 days, my incredibly scientific opinion (I have zero credentials) is that I can’t really tell the difference. They’re both very comfortable and efficient on my personal face.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So after using the .72 for 3 weeks, and the .95 for 2 days, my incredibly scientific opinion (I have zero credentials) is that I can’t really tell the difference. They’re both very comfortable and efficient on my personal face.
Sometimes getting a opinion from someone confirms my non professional opinion also. I will show you why you might not of noticed a lot of differences in the two. @JPO took this great photo of his Lupo.95 and I took a picture of my Lupo .72 not quite as clear and the Lupo .95 has so slightly better blade exposure that it would be really hard to pickup for the average shaver to notice IMO. With the Lupo.95 you also gain in guard span also and that will help with longer beard growth, but as a daily shaver there is not a lot of differences.
Glade you are enjoying your 2nd Gen Lupo razors, if you need more blade feel just put in a Kai SS blade (Extra wide by 9/1000 of a inch)and that will give you more blade feel for sure.
(L) @JPO excellent picture of the Lupo.95..................................................(R) my Lupo.72 taken with my hobby USB microsope. (Click on photo to enlarge it)
lupo .95 (2)(3).jpg
Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg

Here is a picture taken with a Kai SS blade(Extra wide by .009" or 9/1000 of a inch) in my Lupo .72 and there is some real exposure for fellows who like blade feel.
Still002 Lupo.72 with a Kai SS blade+blade exposure.jpg

Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
And the comparison itself ,it regards
what exactly ?

Myself had few of the so called
“Hi-End“ razors,but aesthetics aside
none was even close to the efficiency/
smoothness ratio of the Lupo 95 .
None was so agile and precise ,as
the Lupo 95 .

They were just shinier and more expensive than the Lupo 95.

I shave 2-3 times a week so I enjoy higher gap razors. I have used the Blackland Blackbird, Wolfman 1.25SB and the Timeless .95OC. All three are smooth, and ymvv. Below are my brief thoughts.

- The Blackland had too much blade feel for me.
- The Timeless .95OC felt perfectly smooth, but I experienced mild post shave irritation
- Wolfman 1.25 has the perfect balance of efficiency and smoothness for me.

I absolutely love the Lupo .95, and it’s buttery smooth, my Wolfman 1.25SB seems a little smoother and a little more efficient. Is the Wolf $300 smoother or more efficient than the Lupo, no! The Lupo is a fantastic razor and I could certainly be happy with the Lupo as my only razor. I enjoy the Lupo so much I will probably use the razor when I travel.

I shave 2-3 times a week so I enjoy higher gap razors. I have used the Blackland Blackbird, Wolfman 1.25SB and the Timeless .95OC. All three are smooth, and ymvv. Below are my brief thoughts.

- The Blackland had too much blade feel for me.
- The Timeless .95OC felt perfectly smooth, but I experienced mild post shave irritation
- Wolfman 1.25 has the perfect balance of efficiency and smoothness for me.

I absolutely love the Lupo .95, and it’s buttery smooth, my Wolfman 1.25SB seems a little smoother and a little more efficient. Is the Wolf $300 smoother or more efficient than the Lupo, no! The Lupo is a fantastic razor and I could certainly be happy with the Lupo as my only razor. I enjoy the Lupo so much I will probably use the razor when I travel.
It's just your brain that tells you the Wolfman has to be better, because it's so much more expensive. Joking aside, I considered the Blackbird, but went for the Lupo instead. So far, it's pretty good. I'll probably try and get my hands on the Era as well, when it shows up. And maybe one day, I'll sign up for the Wolfman waiting list. It sounds like it's an endgame razor for many. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's just your brain that tells you the Wolfman has to be better, because it's so much more expensive. Joking aside, I considered the Blackbird, but went for the Lupo instead. So far, it's pretty good. I'll probably try and get my hands on the Era as well, when it shows up. And maybe one day, I'll sign up for the Wolfman waiting list. It sounds like it's an endgame razor for many. ;)

They are all very good razors. The only way to know if a particular razor is the one for you is to shave with that razor several times and make up your own mind. ;)

My Lupo DC sent my Blackbird OC to the BST.

My Lupo DC provides me the ability to experiment without reaching for another razor. I seldom complete a shave using only one side. Until recently most of the work has been on the 95SB side, but lately I've been mostly using the 72OC side. The recent appeal is that in OC, the 72 side has more blade feel to me than the 95SB, yet is less inclined to bite - resulting is reduced weeper creation (at my modest skill level - more feedback).

The one blade I have not been having success with in my DC has been a Wilkinson... until the one I put in 5 shaves ago. 5 excellent close comfortable shaves ago. (??) I've probably been associating too much with hardware and not enough with software. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom