What's new

Thinking about getting a Japanese straight

I don't own one, but I have a small variety of English, French, and German.
Can anyone recommend one (or more) that has good steel at an affordable price?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am no expert on straights but I have a Derby Aiku made by Matsukura in Tokyo; it is an excellent shaver, easily keeps a keen edge, and by the standards of Japanese straight razors is very affordable. I suspect all Japanese straights are made with good steel.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't own one, but I have a small variety of English, French, and German.
Can anyone recommend one (or more) that has good steel at an affordable price?
What is your budget?

The cheapest SR of Japanese steel (ground and finished in Taiwan) is about USD 30 not shave-ready + shipping from Hong Kong. For ones ground and finished in Japan, there is no upper limit.

What is your budget?

The cheapest SR of Japanese steel (ground and finished in Taiwan) is about USD 30 not shave-ready + shipping from Hong Kong. For ones ground and finished in Japan, there is no upper limit.
Are these vintage blades or new?
Is there new quality straight being produced i Japan (not counting Iwasaki kami)?
If yes, were are they sold?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Are these vintage blades or new?
Is there new quality straight being produced i Japan (not counting Iwasaki kami)?
If yes, were are they sold?
They are new blades - blanks made and heat-treated in Japan. Many are put off because they are not expensive and finished (ground, scaled and "honed") in Taiwan.

I don't know what new SR's are being produced in Japan. They would probably be beyond my pay scale.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Around $100 (or less), maybe? Would that get me something decent?
If you want something fully produced in Japan, new or used, I think you would need to go to USD 200 or more for anything reasonable.

For under USD 100 new, I would suggest one of the Titan SR's - Japanese made blanks, finished in Taiwan. Their ACRM-2 T.H.60 (about USD 30) is a good budget model and their ARCO T.H.70 (about USD 80) is a good top model.

If you want a pure Japanese vintage blade, which is what I recommend, you have:

Tanifuji
Ribbon Extra
Ribbon 1000
Rosette
Hone
Sankan
Diamond Hyashi
Kyoei
Iwasaki

Some can be had in NOS condition for about $130 (Kyoei)and a good condition Iwasaki will be $1000 or more. That is just a short list. There are many more. I have all but the Iwasaki and they are great shavers. My Ribbon 1000 was shave ready out of the box.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Cape Swedish Steel can be had very reasonably new or in good shape.
Kikuboshi (usually hard steel IME)
Hayashi
Tanifuji (but will not be as cheap)

Check out April7th1987 (?) on the bay, he has a LOT of Japanese razors at all price points and condition. Look at the images carefully, he has some junk too, but it’s always there to be seen, and he doesn’t hide anything.

Tanifuji
Ribbon Extra
Ribbon 1000
Rosette
Hone
Sankan
Diamond Hyashi
Kyoei
Iwasaki

Some can be had in NOS condition for about $130 (Kyoei)and a good condition Iwasaki will be $1000 or more. That is just a short list. There are many more. I have all but the Iwasaki and they are great shavers. My Ribbon 1000 was shave ready out of the box.
Hone should be Hoken.

Tanifuji
Ribbon Extra
Ribbon 1000
Rosette
Hone
Sankan
Diamond Hyashi
Kyoei
Iwasaki

Where do you find these? Anyone in North America sell these? Or is there a direct seller from Japan?

My experience buying SRs from that site has not been positive. Pass.
It depends on which eBay seller you deal with. Most are scrupulous, some are not. There are no more Japanese razor artisans so you have to buy vintage. You can buy through someplace like Etsy but you will pay a lot more.

There are many very good Japanese razors. IMHO Cape razors are one of the best values. They come from Nichiri (who also made King Pelican and Manaslu) and they have a Tanifuji-like grind, even though Tanifuji stamps only appear on a fraction of these razors. Look for a good one and you will be rewarded will a fine shaver.

Top Bottom