What's new

How many pairs of shoes (casual and dress) should a man have?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
N-1, where N=number of shoes that would result in divorce/breakup from significant other.
1622572311443.png

You like living life dangerously, eh?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To me, "... should a man have?" is different from "... does a man need?" in that it gets farther past mere need and gets into preference and enjoyment a bit.

Well said! I want to have all the options I need without unnecessary choices to make. If I'm putting on a suit, I want to have a couple of footwear options, but not have to choose from a dozen pairs (as I'll probably pick the "best" every time, and the rest will be a waste of money and space). Same with shorts on a hot day. One pair of trainers, one pair of deck shoes, and one pair of sandals covers pretty much everything I'll need.

Likewise, I don't want to have to compromise in being able to pick the right footwear for the moment, and always have at least one pair of shoes to match the rest of the wardrobe, activities, terrain, or weather.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Used regularly...
Alden chromexcel LHS
Alden tassels in no. 8
Quoddy Maliseets
Sperrys, old and possibly on their last summer
Flip flops
two pairs of Adidas Galaxy 5 for running
slippers

Should get more use...Footjoy golf shoes

used infrequently...
Alden snuff suede LHS...so softbthey could double as slippers

used almost never...
brown calf Lucchese boots
black calf evening wear shoes

I recently gave away black Gucci bit loafers. I just never wear black shoes except with black tie, i.e., not in ages. I would be just fine with the tassels, the CXL LHS, the Maliseets, one pair of running shoes, and golf shoes, although the flip flops are kind of cool...needlepointed USA flags on the straps.

S

Scrubby

I just can tell you that the number will go up when you start buying shell cordovan shoes. They are so expensive that you will automatically care fore them well, so they will last for several decades even when you buy only 1 pair every 1-2 year you will end up with a collection of imelda marcos like proportions before you retire. Oh - and don’t forget: alden shell cordovan shoes call out to each other, similar to simpsons brushes, so it will probably be worse then is described above 😉

1 mostly white gym shoes
1 black gym shoes
1 8” redwing work boots
1 8” insulated redwing work boots
1 black leather dress shoes
1 hiker shoes
1 sandals which I never wear
1 moccasins

1 mostly white gym shoes
1 black gym shoes
1 8” redwing work boots
1 8” insulated redwing work boots
1 black leather dress shoes
1 hiker shoes
1 sandals which I never wear
1 moccasins
I should mention that I’m in construction. I have no idea if it’s considered average or not, the subject of how many shoes everyone has never came up. :cuppa:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I took this back in 2019. I have since added bout 6 or 7 more pairs. Work buys me a new pair every year (or whenever I say I need one) and they don’t wear out before the next year. So I tend to collect shoes since none are ever worn with much consistency.

I've gotten by just fine with the following:

Blundstone 500 Originals
Blundstone Crazy Horse Chisel toes
Blundstone Stout Brown Chisel toes
Blundstone Stout Brown Steel toes
Dr. Martens MIE 1460 Black Horween
Dr. Martens MIE 1460 Oxblood Quilon
Birkenstock Arizona

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I just can tell you that the number will go up when you start buying shell cordovan shoes. They are so expensive that you will automatically care fore them well, so they will last for several decades even when you buy only 1 pair every 1-2 year you will end up with a collection of imelda marcos like proportions before you retire. Oh - and don’t forget: alden shell cordovan shoes call out to each other, similar to simpsons brushes, so it will probably be worse then is described above 😉
If you buy a pair every year or two they will indeed pile up as they last upwards of thirty years with not much more than shoe trees and brushing! If you like Alden shell cordovan, I commend their Chromexcel offerings as well. I got a pair of CXL LHS from Shoemart, factory seconds for a $200 price reduction! I was replacing very old Alden for Brooks unlined LHS as my principal loafers and did not want to take time to soften up cordovan or buy another pair at the current price of nearly $800. The CXL was immediately comfortable, and I am unable to identify any flaws despite their being labeled as seconds.

If you like true classic designs, do not mind a somewhat hefty and sturdy shoe, and want to minimize what goes into landfills, check out Alden. I know guys with over 45 years with a pair. I had a pair I probably wore five times a week for over thirty years.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
2 pair of black Skechers for casual wear and walking
1 pair of black dress shoes
3 pairs of hiking boots (2 Merrel, 1 pair Keen)
1 pair combat boots for motorcycle riding
2 pair boat shoes (1 Sanuk, 1 Crocs)
1 pair of sandals/flip flops
1 pair golf shoes
1 pair of mountain biking shoes (Nike with clips hidden in the sole)

12-15 pairs should be enough with good maintenance. More than that is going to be mostly duplicates. Even pre-covid, I probably only wore dress shoes a dozen times a year. That number is unlikely to increase. One pair has already gone to the charity shop. I think a few more will follow soon. Like all those vintage razors that sat idle as I reached for my
Wolfman, Timeless or Charcoal Goods - move with the times.

How many shaving brushes should a man have…? Razors? Soaps? Aftershaves?

As pretty much anything here on B&B, it is YMMV and “it depends”.

That said, what I believe every man SHOULD have in his footwear collection is a pair of:

► Black Oxfords
► Derby Brogues
► Penny Loafers
► Boat Shoes
► Suede Moccasins

In cold(er) months:

► Black Chelsea Boots
► Chukka boots

Black is naturally reserved for formal outfit. All the rest will be fine in pretty much any color, with brown being the safest bets, although tan, oxblood or dark blue can be a good choice, as well.

I know I’m old-fashioned. Oh well. I’m also conservative.

As a side-note, in my book, footwear like running shoes, hiking boots, sandals and flip-flops are NOT “casual shoes”, rather “specialty footwear” that a grown-up man would never ever wear in public.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just doing a bit of an "audit", clearing out those that don't get worn, or are ready for replacement. There's a pair of smart steel toe cap shoes*, which have hardly been worn, and a pair of leather deck shoes which don't fit me so well, so they'll both be donated to a charity shop, I think.

* I used to work in engineering, but have no call for steel toe caps anymore.

Not counting those, and after slinging out some battered trainers which won't be replaced, here's what's left:

2 x black Derby shoes
1 x black lace up square toe dress boots
1 x brown slip ons
1 x brown/blue leather/suede two-tones (incoming, awaiting receipt)
1 x hiking boots (soon to expire, soles heavily worn)
1 x hiking boots (new, unworn, and waiting for the others to conk out)
1 x canvas deck shoes
1 x light trainers
1 x laced plimsols
1 x leather sandals
1 x wellies
1 x moccasin slippers

After a recent splurge on some unmissable bargains, the tally is now as follows.

2 pair - Derby's (black)
3 pair - Brogues (brown/oxblood, brown/blue suede, brown/tweed)
2 pair - Deck shoes (one leather, one canvas)
1 pair - Slip ons (brown)
1 pair - Trainers (black)
2 pair - Leather boots (one pair black dress boots, one pair of brown country/winter boots)
2 pair - Hiking boots (one pair is dry weather only now)*
1 pair - Leather sandals

... plus plimsolls, wellies, moccasins, etc.

*The hiking boots, both the wrecked pair for dry weather, and the new pair for wet, remain the primary workhorse shoes.

A return trip to the doctors surgery via the pharmacy for my monthly prescription, is a two and a half mile round trip. Shopping in town, is a hilly mile each way, plus however much I trudge around between the various shops. A hospital appointment is a very hilly 3.1/2 miles round trip. Tomorrow I'll be going to see my parents, the venue for which is around a mile to the train station, two forms of public transport, then another maybe mile and a half to where I'm meeting them. Then of course, I have the same to face coming back.

Not huge distances, but no other footwear would be as kind to my feet on such days as my hiking boots and trainers. Maybe my canvas deck shoes would be the next kindest. That isn't just the shoes I currently own, but the bulk of the pairs that preceeded them. If I'm travelling everywhere by car, sure, the smarter looking footwear can come out to play. If I'm just nipping to the local shop or post office, or any other half or quarter mile, absolutely anything goes. However, on days where I'm putting in a few miles, particularly as this part of the world is quite hilly, comfort comes first. My feet and knees are much more likely to grumble with anything else.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Since this post ^^^ I've added two more pairs of decks, and another pair of brogues. Plus I have a pair of brogue boots and a pair of UK made casual shoes incoming. On top of this, i've been looking at desert boots and Chelsea boots.

I think you guys have dislocated my brain :letterk1:

I am however buying at bargain basement prices, and all the shoes and boots I've ordered this year, still don't add up to a pair of Church, Cheaney, Corbetts or other "proper" UK brogue, so you haven't swayed me too far out of my comfort zone :001_tongu

Top Bottom