What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A little over a month ago I took delivery on an Above the Tie Windsor SSR1. It came with a five pack of Astras. I love both Personna and Crystal Platinums. I also tried Feathers just because seeing how any razor handles a Feather is fairly revealing. Today I finally tried an Astra. Good lather with PdP and a Kent BK4. Three passes with the ATT/Astra combination. Verdict: no thanks. It was noticeably rougher than the others, downright unpleasant, and even gave me a small nick, an experience I had not had in ages. Took a hot shower, splashed on 4711, and noticed that it was close but not BBS. So tomorrow it is back to Platinum for me. 7

Fri shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
Simpson Chubby 2, Best
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Karve SS SB
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Neutrogena Triple Protect
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.
Comments
It will be interesting to see how long this remnant of the AoS soap lasts. I wish AoS would have kept the tallow version of this fine soap. The Chubby does a great job making lather. A nice, luxurious shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Friday, April 9th 2021

Razor: Kai Luffy Style shavette- Mfg 2018> well made Zamac folding razor, easy to manipulate around the face, good razor to learn with or just enjoy as a seasoned shaver. This style of Shavette allows a person to access Feather or Kai guarded blades.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded- excellent blade, Sharp & smooth + well made. Great way to learn and reduce nicks & weepers. I like this blade so much that I bought a AC SE razor to try out.
Soap: Razorock XXX- nice clean scent, Excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka express synthetic, nice to look at handle with nice 24 mm knot. Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips + gentle scrub & great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 pickups. WTG + 2X ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + some weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Kai style folding shavette + Kai protouch guarded blades.

SOTD, Fri, April 9th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Friday morning shave

Razor: Geo. Wostenholm & Sons
Brush: Badger
Soap: MWF

An excellent shave this morning. Creamy lather exploding off the MWF puck for a close comfortable shave. I’m partial to a heavier grind and this SR is just that. Happy Friday!
95397976-214C-437A-A6BE-838384160D84.jpeg

9/10

20210408_083611.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior Traveller Set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.
What a great shave!! :pipe: :pipe:

A little over a month ago I took delivery on an Above the Tie Windsor SSR1. It came with a five pack of Astras. I love both Personna and Crystal Platinums. I also tried Feathers just because seeing how any razor handles a Feather is fairly revealing. Today I finally tried an Astra. Good lather with PdP and a Kent BK4. Three passes with the ATT/Astra combination. Verdict: no thanks. It was noticeably rougher than the others, downright unpleasant, and even gave me a small nick, an experience I had not had in ages. Took a hot shower, splashed on 4711, and noticed that it was close but not BBS. So tomorrow it is back to Platinum for me. 7
Same here. Astra SPs don't work for me. It surprises me that so many others don't notice the roughness. Sometimes I think that it is just me but then others like you experience the same thing. Blades are truly a YMMV thing.

Razor Timeless SS .68 SB
Blade Wizamet Super Iridium (6)
Brush AP Shave CO 26mm Cashmere Fan
Soap Tabac soap stick
AS Pinaud Clubman

This was my first time using Tabac and I agree with what so many others have said, it makes an excellent lather. As a bonus my wife likes the smell. All in all an excellent and enjoyable shave.

4 pass BBS 10/10

Tabac Shave.jpg

Well I know it’s FOCS FRIDAY but my Karve D plate came in so I had to throw a Feather in and give it a ride with one of the MdC samples that showed up today. The Feather worked well with the C plate but left me wanting more. Feather with the D plate? Maybe a bit too much. Close shave, but the cost? Your soul! (J Peterman voice). Actual cost was a few nicks. Maybe I try a different blade next time.

Pre: Proraso white
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Lather: Martin de Candre Argumes
Blade: Feather(1st)
Razor: brass Karve SB plate D
Post: Thayer’s unscented WH and Proraso wood & spice after shave balm
Rating: 8.2 Close but rough

664E3BBA-61FF-46AC-957C-E7F66602DD3C.jpeg
CB5623F8-DDCF-4294-81B3-2332A1382ED4.gif

My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Karve Brass 3-1/2" Handle, SB-C​
Blade: KAI (2)​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm​
Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap w/ Bowl (First time using!)
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.8/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation!
  • An extremely close shave!
  • First time using this soap! So far I really like it
  • Second time using this pre-shave. So far, so good
  • I like having no-scent software for testing out the scent of other software. I also have Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented...
proxy.php

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Solid Bar
Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Ariana & Evans St. Barts
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Ariana & Evans St Barts Aftershave Splash

10 / 10, two pass shave that not only felt fantastic but smelled even better. Was mostly BBS, but I missed a small spot along my jaw that I didn’t notice until I was applying AS. No cuts, irritation or other issues. Both Kaizen base and their splash with skin food left my face feeling amazing. Diamond Edge blade excelled again.

1AB3E00F-808D-4A37-9C54-76C1AE878EA0.jpeg

I agree with you , do not really like Astra blades

Brush: Omega Premium Jade Boar 🐗, brush was even better the second use

Blade: Personna Crystal (1)

Soap: Decided to use another hard soap 🧼 with my boar brush it worked much better this time

Razor: Timeless Ti Sb .95

Post Shave: Ethos Unscented skin food, SV Cubebe aftershave

10/10
9EA88F4D-1F51-453D-8110-5DE5F44C65BA.jpeg
6771B356-339B-48CF-88F1-471BEF77619A.jpeg
C95F7E11-9E62-438A-8DC0-3ACB52049E05.jpeg

i know YMMV, but i got wonderful shaves in 15/17 of my razors with the green Astras, it's one of my favourite blades, peculiar how a particular blade is great for some but rubbish for others🤔

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Solid Bar
Blade: Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Ariana & Evans St. Barts
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Ariana & Evans St Barts Aftershave Splash

10 / 10, two pass shave that not only felt fantastic but smelled even better. Was mostly BBS, but I missed a small spot along my jaw that I didn’t notice until I was applying AS. No cuts, irritation or other issues. Both Kaizen base and their splash with skin food left my face feeling amazing. Diamond Edge blade excelled again.

View attachment 1249147
Very nice setup my friend, and another eye catcher brush

Top Bottom