What's new

Newbie needs help choosing straight razor.

Hello. After about a month of researching I've narrowed down my choice of first "real" SR to these 4. Are any of these poor choices? Which are the best choices? I'm new to straight razors but not to wet shaving. I'm afraid to pull the trigger without some advice. ANY and ALL advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-153353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-153353_Chrome.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20210306-153448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-153448_Chrome.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20210306-153651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-153651_Chrome.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20210306-154907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-154907_Chrome.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to B & B. I would suggest you either purchase #1 the Thiers Issard or # 3 the Kastor. Both of those are full hollow. The TI is 6/8 the Kastor 5/8, not an earth shattering difference.
#2 is a cool looking blade but a near wedge grind , which will not give you much feedback against your whiskers.
The first 3 will definitely come from Griffith shave ready. The 4th from the knife place probably will not be shave ready which will disappoint your experience I’d never having used a straight before.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Welcome to B & B. I would suggest you either purchase #1 the Thiers Issard or # 3 the Kastor. Both of those are full hollow. The TI is 6/8 the Kastor 5/8, not an earth shattering difference.
#2 is a cool looking blade but a near wedge grind , which will not give you much feedback against your whiskers.
The first 3 will definitely come from Griffith shave ready. The 4th from the knife place probably will not be shave ready which will disappoint your experience I’d never having used a straight before.
Thank you sir.

If you decide to get the Grelot send it out to be honed by someone reputable for a solid baseline of how it should and can be.
If Griffith can hone well just have them do it before sending.

Who would you recommend? Also where what is your recommendation for a decent strop at a fair price? Thanks alot

I would recommend the Dovo Berswiger Lowe, that is a great little blade and feel great in the hand. It is a nice feeling razor and new would be a known quality. It is also a blade that you won't outgrow. That La Grelot is also nice. Infact they are all really nice blades, not a bad apple in the bunch.

1615079241733.png

Here is what that looks like in person.

This, Tony make good strops at decent prices.
I have only heard good things about Griffith regarding honing but cannot personally say I've shaved with their edges.
I’ve purchased many blades from Griffith. I can attest blades purchased from him will be shave ready.
If the purchase is made from the knife place the newbie will need to get someone to make it truly shave ready. Certainly not a big deal, just one more hoop to jump through.

I'd echo what others are saying here and suggest you go with the TI or the dovo for your first razor. But if you get the dovo have it professionally honed since it will not arrive shave ready.

Tony miller makes great strops, I own two myself, but I would not suggest buying a nice strop right as you begin your journey. You're bound to cut up the first strop or two you get while you learn the stropping motion. Instead get a cheaper one off of ali express or Amazon until you have the technique down.

I'd stay away from the near wedge, especially at that price.
Both Thiers Issard and Dovo get mixed reviews, and sometimes the criticism is production-run or model specific.
The Dovo "Mountain Lion" is a beautiful razor and I've heard, a pleasure to shave with...in experienced hands.
But I'm afraid that Spanish point is going to bite you many times before you master it.
Thus, I'd consider the Thiers Issard, even though the square point is still a little dangerous for a beginner.
Generally, I would recommend a rounded, or Dutch point for a beginner, as the Kastor razor is modelled.
A little pricey, though.
If you intend to learn honing, best get an old beater for that purpose. So, I'd budget for that as well as all the honing supplies you will need.
Best of luck, and remember, the straight-razor aficionados here are always willing to help you on your journey.

Round points are safer and so better to learn with.

Full-hollow and near-wedge certainly feel very different. A full hollow blade is very fine to the point of being quite bendy. They make a lot of noise when shaving like ripping velcro open.

A near-wedge has a solid blade which won't deform at all. It will feel a little heavier in the hand - particularly one as wide as this. It will silently and smoothly charge through anything you put in front of it.

I'm not sure if one is easier to learn on than another. My first razor was a near-wedge but I think I prefer full-hollow.

Steels vary in hardness. The harder ones stay sharp longer but they also take more work to sharpen when they do get blunt. If you want to learn to hone, it should be quicker & easier to get results with slightly softer steels - and you'll get to practice more often ;)

For a first straight, I would go with the Thiers-Issard (TI) Le Grelot or a Dovo Bismarck. The Bergischer Lowe is a very nice razor, but it has a very thin grind which might be a better choice for your second or third razor. In general, you may find the Le Grelot or Bismarck to be a little more forgiving. And 6/8 inch is an excellent choice in size for your first razor.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
OF the four you are considering the Le GRelot would be my first choice at that price. Second choice the Dovo. STay away from wedge razors for now. A Dovo Bismarck would be better for your first razor than those two, though, but not so much better than the other two which are still good. YOu will need them honed by someone who knows what he is doing, of course.

I'd go for the Marshes & Shepherd. It is a stunning piece that you can not walk into a shop and buy. A lot of the pleasure I find the straight shaving is using a beautifully crafted tool. That one was a somewhat unique luxury item back in the day and finding one in such condition seems a hard to miss opportunity.

Tony Miller makes a newbie good quality strop.
Also if you buy the Grelot from Griffith he will hone it free of charge. Just ask him to do it in the message to seller box.
I went with the Le Grelot and the Kastor. Thanks!

Top Bottom