What's new

Source for Beef Fat?

Yes I swear this is a shaving related question I swear!
I've been researching and thinking of making some tallow based shave soap in my spare time and have been looking for a source of beef fat. My local grocery stores already collect it and sell it to some company for the cosmetics industry and some of the local butchers won't sell it or give it to you. Anyone got another idea a little outside the box? Heck I'm in IN I should be able to find beef fat :lol:

Is there a beef processing plant, slaughter house, near you? That may be a source. If the local butcher already has a deal to sell his beef fat to a cosmetics company, I would the slaughter house would, too. How about a Sam's Club? They process a lot of beef.

Tell your butcher or meat cutter you like say 2 to 3 pounds of beef fat to make deer sausage. That way deer meat is very lean and your adding beef fat to it. Go home, do what you want with it. Only if they cut a lot meat on their own.Trust me, money talks.

Tell your butcher or meat cutter you like say 2 to 3 pounds of beef fat to make deer sausage. That way deer meat is very lean and your adding beef fat to it. Go home, do what you want with it. Only if they cut a lot meat on their own.Trust me, money talks.

You could also mention rabbit sausage, if you don't look the outdoorsey type. It's another super lean meat.

do a search on internet or local soapmaking suppliers. I do not know if there are any in your neck of the woods but there are plenty out there. Also check your local soap makers for references.

Remember just because you have tallow in a soap, a shaving soap it does not make.

Raf

Hi

You may have some luck if you check the local supermarket. Read the labels on the shortening. Often you can find one that is beef and not vegetable. You can find it at Smart and Final stores but it comes in a 50 pound block. If all else fails try searching eBay for tallow.

Good luck
J

I get mine from the grocery store or local butcher. Rendering can be a smelly process, btw. I have noticed that the price has gone up quite a bit over the years (but so have all the other soapmaking ingredients).
for shaving soap be sure to include some castor oil and coconut oil. Clay is optional and, IMHO, is better added to a melt and pour glycerine. Avoid the olive oil. BTW, lard can be pretty much substituted for tallow...almost as good but it makes a softer soap, not necessarily a bad thing for a shave soap. A bit of stearic acid or cooca butter will help produce a harder bar with lard.

Also, tallow is also used in candles so check the candlemaking suppliers.

Last edited:
try your local carniceria. At least where I live they are the beef butches extroidinaire.
You may need to brush up on your spanish
Qusiero lardo y grassa de carne

aaron

I go to a halal butcher in a nearby town - he didn't even know what tallow / suet was but when I showed him a photo he cut off about 20 lbs for me and didn't even want to charge me. Now I bring him soap and he gives me fat whenever I want it. Ask if he'll run it through the grinder, it makes the rendering much easier. I melt the fat down with water about 1/2 way up the side of the pail, let it melt slowly and skim off the cooked beef. Then pour everything out into plastic and let it set out overnight when it's cold, and the tallow will form on top. I then melt the tallow down again with a little white vinegar and baking soda (add these before you start heating) so the tallow is extra white and odorless- makes the best soap!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What about possum fat? I seem to recall that's what Granny was always rendering down for soap.

What about possum fat? I seem to recall that's what Granny was always rendering down for soap.

but that was for her Lye Soap! It was her beauty secret that made her skin like leather! (Ok, I admit that I was a huge fan of the Beverlyhillbillies when I was a kid!)

proxy.php

Top Bottom