What's new

What's for Dinner at Your House?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
9DF0135E-6D93-4B31-9AB7-6B8569ABCC3B.jpeg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Working on this stew. Never the same twice.

Beef Stew (2 of 3).jpg
Beef Stew (3 of 3).jpg
Beef Stew (1 of 3).jpg

What am I trying to say? I know most here know I'm talking obvious stuff.

My celery is quite old. It was going soft last week. I'd already used much of it. I trimmed the bottom off and soaked it in water. All crispy again. Oh . . . all celery is great even the loose flowery stuff on top.

Large carrots are easier to peel . . . top and bottom off and hold them in your palm take a pass and rotate. . . zip zoweee and done. Far easier for your base . . . yeah I didn't show the onions or garlic but they are there with beef stock and a good bit of Worchester sauce.

Might come out well . . who knows.

Mary Brown’s chicken sandwich, macaroni salad, coleslaw and fries and gravy. Canadian hangover staple. I am too old to party with the kids. 🤢

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Grilled BBQ chicken, and by grilled, I mean what Americans call broiled. Served on a bed of wild rice, mushroom, sundried tomatoes and kale.

View attachment 1230361

Salamander? Canuck here . . . for me grilled is usually heat from the bottom . . .sometimes grill press . . . top and bottom. Broiling is heat from the top . . . and BBQ . . . not really done here but this is changing . . . indirect slow heat.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Salamander? Canuck here . . . for me grilled is usually heat from the bottom . . .sometimes grill press . . . top and bottom. Broiling is heat from the top . . . and BBQ . . . not really done here but this is changing . . . indirect slow heat.

Don't know what you mean by salamander 🤔

This was gas flame above the food. What some folks call a grill pan (ribbed frying pan), we call a griddle. We do have the electric grill press thingies too, which is confusing, because to me they don't grill (radiant heat from above), and yes a BBQ is a BBQ or Barbie to me too. The American terminology is creeping in a little on some things, but I'm sticking with English :biggrin1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Last of the leftover smoked chicken went into this Chicken Pot Pie (this ain't Austin so there's no 'pot' in the pie) ;)

The pie goes in the pot ... not the other way round.

Canuck here . . . for me grilled is usually heat from the bottom . . .sometimes grill press . . . top and bottom. Broiling is heat from the top . . . and BBQ . . . not really done here but this is changing . . . indirect slow heat.
In this part of Canada,

"grilled" usually = either direct heat on the BBQ or on the stovetop ...
1614644127554.png
1614644204247.png

and then "BBQ" is usually synonymous with grilling on the BBQ.

1614644327445.png

... but it can also mean that low-n-slow cooking method for ribs &c.
1614644928151.png

Top Bottom