What's new

Merkur 34 - where do I go from here?

Hi Everyone,

I use a straight razor most of the time but need a DE on those mornings when I am pressed for time. I have very hard, wiry beard hair. I usually only get a couple shaves out of a blade before its edge is damaged and uncomfortable. The wiry, hard beard is coupled to very sensitive skin. Its a bad combination which is why I gravitated to straights. I use 1/4 hollow vintage blades made of the hardest steel and finish the edges on a JNat.

I have been using the Merkur HD 34 for a dozen years or more. I like the ability to tilt this razors handle, much like a straight, towards and away from my face to vary the blade gap. The blade gap can become too open/aggressive when the handle is rotated away from my face and this will irritate my skin the same as a straight when the angle is too steep. My new razor does not need to be this aggressive.

One of the things I don't like about the Merkur is how the blade centers on the head. There is a bit of "slop" which I can feel on my skin. Occasionally the blade will be a little off center and I will end up with one side being aggressive and the other quite mild. I also feel the handle is a little short sometimes but its not a big deal.

Can you guys suggest what would be the next logical next step in terms of quality, form and function? I want the blade to be centered dead nuts every time. I don't care about fancy engravings or looks much... I just need it to be well constructed and work really well on tough beards with sensitive skin. (provided I do my part with good technique)

What do you guys think?

You sound like someone that would like the Razorock Game Changer .84 with the Super Knurl handle. You might even prefer the open comb version. Around $60.

1612202967827.png
1612202672651.png

Variable functioning shave angles, affordable, efficient, handsome, sold brass and under $20 you say!?

Fatip piccolo. ;)

Or Fatip slant if you're feeling exotic. :)

Honestly though the piccolo is my daily user and after I figured out it works at every angle offering me a variety of shave choices I sold every single vintage Gillette, my EJ de89, r41 and my excess cut throat razors. It's better than all of them, hands down no contest and it's made of brass so will last forever and when I'm dead my son will have the pleasure of using it.

Best results for me as I have sensitive skin are with Nacet blades and riding the guard wtg, where the handle is pointing nearly completely towards the floor. But ride the cap with the handle at a near right angle when going atg. There's quite the following for the Fatip line of razors and for good reason.

Variable functioning shave angles, affordable, efficient, handsome, sold brass and under $20 you say!?

Fatip piccolo. ;)

Or Fatip slant if you're feeling exotic. :)

Honestly though the piccolo is my daily user and after I figured out it works at every angle offering me a variety of shave choices I sold every single vintage Gillette, my EJ de89, r41 and my excess cut throat razors. It's better than all of them, hands down no contest and it's made of brass so will last forever and when I'm dead my son will have the pleasure of using it.

Best results for me as I have sensitive skin are with Nacet blades and riding the guard wtg, where the handle is pointing nearly completely towards the floor. But ride the cap with the handle at a near right angle when going atg. There's quite the following for the Fatip line of razors and for good reason.
Thank you @Samon I will look into these.

What does the open comb design do in terms of feel? Does it change the technique you use?
It's not all that different in technique. It does give some more blade feel and seems to work with a wider range of shaving angles. Where the open comb excels is shaving when you have multiple days of growth or whiskers that tend to lay down close to the skin. Good for those with a heavy beard or those that shave every few days.

Thanks everyone. Just have to wait for those Razorocks to be back in stock somewhere.

Why don't you give chance to Merkur 37C. Very comfortable Slant, user friendly and thanks to its slanted geometry it works perfect with "wiry beard hair". I recommend Gillette Platinum combination with Merkur 37C.

Hi @Timor1322
My biggest gripe with the Merkur 34 is that there is "slop" and "play" in how the razor blade seats on the head. This allows the razor blade to slide a bit from side to side which effects the blade gap quite a bit.
I need a better machined razor where the blade sits perfectly centered every time. I'm not sure is the Merkur 37 is machined to tighter tolerances but it would have to be for me to want it.
I am out of the loop on DE's so that is why I asked the question here. From causal observation of various threads and what seems to be the new "hot" razors it looks like tolerances and general manufacturing quality has tightened up over the past 12 years considerably. There are people willing to spend a a bit more (or a lot) which has made it possible for the manufacturers to bring a better quality product with tighter tolerances to market. The Razorock looks like a tighter toleranced razor and may be what I need.

I need a better machined razor where the blade sits perfectly centered every time.

Then, if you don't want to play a game of chance or align the blade yourself when tightening the head, when you look into Fatip razors as those were recommended above, you should be aware of this:

(Video starts at the time, the issue is explained.)

Then, if you don't want to play a game of chance or align the blade yourself when tightening the head, when you look into Fatip razors as those were recommended above, you should be aware of this:

(Video starts at the time, the issue is explained.)

Thank you for sharing this. Actually I have been homing in on the Razorock razors. I have more homework to do before choosing any of these options. Thank you very much for sharing the video.

Let me mention the Windsor razor from Above The Tie, which is an excellent product! There are 3 different plates for the blade gap to choose from (and 5 handles) and the cap covers the blade on the sides, which gives it an additional firmness that should remind you of straights.
Made in USA and Matt from @Above The Tie (also a vendor here on B&B) will give you support that is out of this world, not to mention their generous 90 day test drive policy they offer with every razor.

And also check the new Windsor Pro model, which they consider to combine the best from their Classic and the Windsor and please note, that Above The Tie will introduce additional plates for the new Pro-version this year.

I didn't want to wait until then as I had my eyes on the Windsor for quite some time and got the Windsor recently as a set and it's just superb - instant favorite

Here's a great review from @nav on both models:
REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original)

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions gentlemen. I need to make sure that blades center perfectly in these various heads, read some reviews and see what’s in stock.

Hi Everyone,

I use a straight razor most of the time but need a DE on those mornings when I am pressed for time. I have very hard, wiry beard hair. I usually only get a couple shaves out of a blade before its edge is damaged and uncomfortable. The wiry, hard beard is coupled to very sensitive skin. Its a bad combination which is why I gravitated to straights. I use 1/4 hollow vintage blades made of the hardest steel and finish the edges on a JNat.

I have been using the Merkur HD 34 for a dozen years or more. I like the ability to tilt this razors handle, much like a straight, towards and away from my face to vary the blade gap. The blade gap can become too open/aggressive when the handle is rotated away from my face and this will irritate my skin the same as a straight when the angle is too steep. My new razor does not need to be this aggressive.

One of the things I don't like about the Merkur is how the blade centers on the head. There is a bit of "slop" which I can feel on my skin. Occasionally the blade will be a little off center and I will end up with one side being aggressive and the other quite mild. I also feel the handle is a little short sometimes but its not a big deal.

Can you guys suggest what would be the next logical next step in terms of quality, form and function? I want the blade to be centered dead nuts every time. I don't care about fancy engravings or looks much... I just need it to be well constructed and work really well on tough beards with sensitive skin. (provided I do my part with good technique)

What do you guys think?

Gillette Old Style Open Comb (short)

Let me mention the Windsor razor from Above The Tie, which is an excellent product! There are 3 different plates for the blade gap to choose from (and 5 handles) and the cap covers the blade on the sides, which gives it an additional firmness that should remind you of straights.
Made in USA and Matt from @Above The Tie (also a vendor here on B&B) will give you support that is out of this world, not to mention their generous 90 day test drive policy they offer with every razor.

And also check the new Windsor Pro model, which they consider to combine the best from their Classic and the Windsor and please note, that Above The Tie will introduce additional plates for the new Pro-version this year.

I didn't want to wait until then as I had my eyes on the Windsor for quite some time and got the Windsor recently as a set and it's just superb - instant favorite

Here's a great review from @nav on both models:
REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original)

Cheers for the shout out!

"Instant favorite" indeed!!
The ATT Windsor H with atlas handle became my favorite razor after just a couple of uses!

It literally feels like a stiff GEM blade but with the flexibility to use one's favorite DE blade (mine is the Polsilver).

Razorock German 37 slant or Fatip open comb slant would be good options that won't break the bank. Both are easy to use for a quick shave and neither don't bite much.

Top Bottom