What's new

Merkur 34 - where do I go from here?

Hi Everyone,

I use a straight razor most of the time but need a DE on those mornings when I am pressed for time. I have very hard, wiry beard hair. I usually only get a couple shaves out of a blade before its edge is damaged and uncomfortable. The wiry, hard beard is coupled to very sensitive skin. Its a bad combination which is why I gravitated to straights. I use 1/4 hollow vintage blades made of the hardest steel and finish the edges on a JNat.

I have been using the Merkur HD 34 for a dozen years or more. I like the ability to tilt this razors handle, much like a straight, towards and away from my face to vary the blade gap. The blade gap can become too open/aggressive when the handle is rotated away from my face and this will irritate my skin the same as a straight when the angle is too steep. My new razor does not need to be this aggressive.

One of the things I don't like about the Merkur is how the blade centers on the head. There is a bit of "slop" which I can feel on my skin. Occasionally the blade will be a little off center and I will end up with one side being aggressive and the other quite mild. I also feel the handle is a little short sometimes but its not a big deal.

Can you guys suggest what would be the next logical next step in terms of quality, form and function? I want the blade to be centered dead nuts every time. I don't care about fancy engravings or looks much... I just need it to be well constructed and work really well on tough beards with sensitive skin. (provided I do my part with good technique)

What do you guys think?
I started wet shaving 2.5 years ago with the 34C. Loved it, but my stiff beard begged for something more aggressive. Tried a few different options until I received a new Muhle R41 This Xmas. Best shaves I’ve ever had. Smoother than my 34C and so efficient. And comparatively inexpensive. I say give one a go!

Thank you for all the suggestions gentlemen. I need to make sure that blades center perfectly in these various heads, read some reviews and see what’s in stock.

If you pm me mailing address, I'll send you an aluminum Hawk with some blades (have to see exactly what I have on hand) to try.

Hi Everyone ~

I have been doing a lot of research and testing based on your opinions. I'm using a decade of daily straight razor shaving to guide me too. I have been working with the Merkur 34 everyday for a couple weeks. I wanted to really learn how to use it and what its capable of. I've been pleasantly surprised at the great shaves I've been able to get from it in the past week. The loose tolerances can be worked with if I make time to center the blade and carefully tighten everything. Prep and technique are as.. or more important than the tool.

I discovered I like shaving with the DE and may want something for everyday use which changes my goals.

Using your recommendations as a starting point I started looking at reviews of the Fatip, then looked at the Razorock, which led me to the Rockwell, which led to the Timeless and then the Wolfman. So many great choices since I bought the Merkur years ago. I decided to try a Timeless. With a 30 day money back I can compare it to the Merkur and decide if its worth keeping. I have various blades collected over the years to try.

Thank you all for your help. This community is the best.

Hi Everyone,

I use a straight razor most of the time but need a DE on those mornings when I am pressed for time. I have very hard, wiry beard hair. I usually only get a couple shaves out of a blade before its edge is damaged and uncomfortable. The wiry, hard beard is coupled to very sensitive skin. Its a bad combination which is why I gravitated to straights. I use 1/4 hollow vintage blades made of the hardest steel and finish the edges on a JNat.

I have been using the Merkur HD 34 for a dozen years or more. I like the ability to tilt this razors handle, much like a straight, towards and away from my face to vary the blade gap. The blade gap can become too open/aggressive when the handle is rotated away from my face and this will irritate my skin the same as a straight when the angle is too steep. My new razor does not need to be this aggressive.

One of the things I don't like about the Merkur is how the blade centers on the head. There is a bit of "slop" which I can feel on my skin. Occasionally the blade will be a little off center and I will end up with one side being aggressive and the other quite mild. I also feel the handle is a little short sometimes but its not a big deal.

Can you guys suggest what would be the next logical next step in terms of quality, form and function? I want the blade to be centered dead nuts every time. I don't care about fancy engravings or looks much... I just need it to be well constructed and work really well on tough beards with sensitive skin. (provided I do my part with good technique)

What do you guys think?

Agree w/above. Considering your beard type have you considered a slant? A C-37 would be a frugal way to try out this concept. I started with a C-37 and enjoyed the shave, have since sold and now use a Hoffritz.

Hi @Timor1322
My biggest gripe with the Merkur 34 is that there is "slop" and "play" in how the razor blade seats on the head. This allows the razor blade to slide a bit from side to side which effects the blade gap quite a bit.
I need a better machined razor where the blade sits perfectly centered every time. I'm not sure is the Merkur 37 is machined to tighter tolerances but it would have to be for me to want it.
I am out of the loop on DE's so that is why I asked the question here. From causal observation of various threads and what seems to be the new "hot" razors it looks like tolerances and general manufacturing quality has tightened up over the past 12 years considerably. There are people willing to spend a a bit more (or a lot) which has made it possible for the manufacturers to bring a better quality product with tighter tolerances to market. The Razorock looks like a tighter toleranced razor and may be what I need.

If you like your merkur except for the tolerances you'll probably love 💘 a razorock game changer or lupo. Very good machining tolerances and just overall great razors. That shave is similar to your merkur 34c but better (my opinion). And no durability issues with the razorock stainless razors.

Have you ever considered buying an adjustable razor? I mean you have already said that you normally use straight razor, so what I understand from this, you don't use any DE if you are not in a rush. Buying an adjustable razor you can set it as you wish depending on your skin's situation, beard growth, or even your mood etc. etc. and that would do the job for the days that you are in a rush.

Update; I bought a titanium Timeless with 95 gap and straight plate/cap. Love it! What a step up in every way compared to the Merkur 34. I tried a half dozen different blades in it. The Feathers stand head and shoulders above everything else for me.
Kai’s came close-ish. Astra Sp, Gillette Sharpedge, and Personna Med Prep were all irritating to my skin. The Astra’s especially so.
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and help. I appreciate it.

I went from Merkur 34C to Rockwell 6C a few years ago. Eventually upgraded to a 6S. Can 10/10 recommend the 6C for its value proposition and build quality

Top Bottom