What's new

Searching for a manly soap!(and matching balm hopefully)

Greetings shaving folk of B&B. I haven't been on recently in my profile, more like lurking, was too lazy to log-in. The main reazon is because I found my holy grail set-up. Kind of lost interest in a lot of stuff after I found my ideal set-ip. I've always been a monogamous type of person. Since I got my Henson razor I've been able to achieve my goal, everyday shaves with BBS results(feather blades). I have one synthethic brush and it keeps me happy, no need for more. Soaps, well that's another topic. Here is my current set-up:

-Stirling Coniferous, with matching balm
-Chiseled face Midnight Stag, with matching balm
-Chiseled face Cryogen, with matching balm
-Le Pere Lucien, with Proraso Cypress & Vetyver balm
-Proraso Green, with matching balm

I know it's not crazy. I'm trying to keep it to 5 soaps, perfect ammount. I don't have any acquisition disorders which makes my wallet happy. I am writing this thread, because in the forseeable future my Proraso Green will run out. And I started to think what I can replace it with.

I looked at some of the soaps in Maggards, but nothing really caught my eye/nose. For me scent is probably the most important thing, and it's strength.

So what am I looking for. Something manly, heavy and simple(not too many aromas). Scent strength has to be at least 8/10, like Midnight Stag. No Sandalwoods, no Cherries or fruits, no floral stuff. What caught my eye was actually a Soap Commander Strategy(Teakwood, Mahogany, Lavender), even though the Lavender isn't that much appreciated, but the other two are more dominant, hopefully. Too bad there isn't a matching balm, only splash(they don't ship alcohol overseas). Also I've read that the SC scents aren't that strong(would love to hear some oppinions). Soooo I'd say something wood like. I was thinking about leather stuff(Wickham Russian Leather), but I think it would be too similar to Midnight Stag.

That's all I have to say. I greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for the time taken to read this, and thank you a lot in advance for the help!

All the best!

I've smelled Tabac, nooooot for me, I'm on the other side of the spectrum for that soap :D I'll look into the Gatlingburg, thank you for the suggestion!

Ok will look it up, but I did remember just now. Stirling isn't that strong in scent. In the tin yeah, but when you lather and the balm itself, I would say 5, 6 at best. Fades very quickly. Nevertheless I will add it to future considerations.

since you already use Proraso Cypress & Vetiver,
the Wood & Spice is pretty "manly" without fruits & florals.

Also Officina Artigiana - 5 oils.
It's like the Proraso Wood & Spice, with the addition of a "leathery" note.

I haven't tried any, but perhaps some of the tobacco-centric soaps/creams might appeal?
TOBS - Tobacco Leaf
RazoRock - Puros

are two that come to mind.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
ARKO! coupled with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite aftershave.

Before an ARKO! shave, the brush makes popping sounds as the lather punches the lights out of every whisker. After an ARKO! shave, my voice is too low to be heard by humans for three hours.

A splash of Snake Bite before heading out to shovel the snow drifts has me instantly regretting my decision in the most manly way possible.

A few months of that combo and only steel wire brushes have enough backbone and knapped flint replaces commercial blades like those perpetually dull Feathers everyone says are so smooth and relaxing.

The only drawback to the combo is inducing labor in every woman you walk by. It’s why I’m not allowed near the Statue of Liberty.

I would suggest PdP 63, but if you consider Stirling a 5-6, then it may not be strong enough for your tastes.

I have not tried it, but since you seem to like Chiseled Face, I would think CF Cedar and Spice will fit the bill.

THIS! I've been raving about the other Officina Artigiana soap, "Stay Traditional", which is a heavenly citrus scent, and my current absolute favorite. But this morning I shaved with the "Oli del Benessere" also know as "5 oils." (Honestly, I'm not sure what its name is, but fortunately there are only two Officina Artigiana soaps, and the other one has an obvious name on the label.)

It is the best leather scent I can imagine. It reminds me a little of Pre de Provence 63, which I can also recommend to you (in the hard soap, not the tubed cream), but it's much richer and deeper. It's what I imagine a tack room filled with premium and expertly maintained saddles and bridles would smell like. A little animalic, too (just a whiff of the well groomed athletic horse emanating from the leather), plus maybe a bit of subtle pipe smoke. It's complex, but unlike most scent-forward artisan soaps, very harmonious.

I don't care much for Tabac--it's got some of the deep richness, but the flower notes come on too strong and aren't that interesting to my nose. And I generally gravitate away from the entire stereotypically "masculine" end of the scent spectrum. But I will very gladly make a regular exception for this Officina Artigiana.

There is a matching aftershave, but it's currently unobtanium in the North American continent, so I've yet to try it. I will if I can get it. But the soap has much better scent longevity than my typical citrus choices. This morning I followed it with an Osma aftershave that has very little scent, and now, some 5 hours later, I can still catch a bit of the "5 Oils" smell. Perfect for my needs. In fact, the aftershave could well be too strong for my preferences.

Good luck!

since you already use Proraso Cypress & Vetiver,
the Wood & Spice is pretty "manly" without fruits & florals.

It's like the Proraso Wood & Spice, with the addition of a "leathery" note.

I haven't tried any, but perhaps some of the tobacco-centric soaps/creams might appeal?
TOBS - Tobacco Leaf
RazoRock - Puros

are two that come to mind.

This Officina Artigiana souns very nice, I can't seem to find a matching balm to it, or even splash. But heavily would consider!

ARKO! coupled with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite aftershave.

Before an ARKO! shave, the brush makes popping sounds as the lather punches the lights out of every whisker. After an ARKO! shave, my voice is too low to be heard by humans for three hours.

A splash of Snake Bite before heading out to shovel the snow drifts has me instantly regretting my decision in the most manly way possible.

A few months of that combo and only steel wire brushes have enough backbone and knapped flint replaces commercial blades like those perpetually dull Feathers everyone says are so smooth and relaxing.

The only drawback to the combo is inducing labor in every woman you walk by. It’s why I’m not allowed near the Statue of Liberty.

I laughed so much at this desciption, cudos!!! If only Arko didn't smell like an urinal cake....

B&M's Leviathan.

I think it's seasonal....

Perhaps Barrister & Mann Roam. I've never tried it as I am not interested in the scent profile, but it sounds right up your alley.

This sounds AWESOME, too bad I can't find it anywhere :D
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire

Somehow doesn't ring to me, but thank you very much for the suggestion!

Also I saw the B&M Petrichor and that also sounds plenty nice to me, but again it's not in stock...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
This sounds AWESOME, too bad I can't find it anywhere

It’s part of the soft heart series. There’s at least one puck for sale at Top of the Chain in Canada. Click fast!

If only Arko didn't smell like an urinal cake....

The citronella airs out quickly and the patchouli is very light, but even at full strength, it’s a manly urinal cake. ARKO!

+1 for razorock puros with matching ASL. The scent lasts forever. Plus the ASL leaves the skin well hydrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THIS! I've been raving about the other Officina Artigiana soap, "Stay Traditional", which is a heavenly citrus scent, and my current absolute favorite. But this morning I shaved with the "Oli del Benessere" also know as "5 oils." (Honestly, I'm not sure what its name is, but fortunately there are only two Officina Artigiana soaps, and the other one has an obvious name on the label.)

It is the best leather scent I can imagine. It reminds me a little of Pre de Provence 63, which I can also recommend to you (in the hard soap, not the tubed cream), but it's much richer and deeper. It's what I imagine a tack room filled with premium and expertly maintained saddles and bridles would smell like. A little animalic, too (just a whiff of the well groomed athletic horse emanating from the leather), plus maybe a bit of subtle pipe smoke. It's complex, but unlike most scent-forward artisan soaps, very harmonious.

I don't care much for Tabac--it's got some of the deep richness, but the flower notes come on too strong and aren't that interesting to my nose. And I generally gravitate away from the entire stereotypically "masculine" end of the scent spectrum. But I will very gladly make a regular exception for this Officina Artigiana.

There is a matching aftershave, but it's currently unobtanium in the North American continent, so I've yet to try it. I will if I can get it. But the soap has much better scent longevity than my typical citrus choices. This morning I followed it with an Osma aftershave that has very little scent, and now, some 5 hours later, I can still catch a bit of the "5 Oils" smell. Perfect for my needs. In fact, the aftershave could well be too strong for my preferences.

Good luck!
This sounds amazing. If I hadn't just started the February GRUME I would be on the hunt for it. I will certainly be adding it to my list of would really like to have soaps.

This Officina Artigiana souns very nice, I can't seem to find a matching balm to it, or even splash. But heavily would consider!

I laughed so much at this desciption, cudos!!! If only Arko didn't smell like an urinal cake....

I think it's seasonal....

This sounds AWESOME, too bad I can't find it anywhere :D

Somehow doesn't ring to me, but thank you very much for the suggestion!

Also I saw the B&M Petrichor and that also sounds plenty nice to me, but again it's not in stock...

If you do not want to wait for Roam to be available through retailers, try a WTB as in the BST. Roam is a polarizing scent. I'd bet there is someone who purchased Roam and decided it's not for them after taking a whiff.

The soaps like this that always catches my attention are all the ones by Southern Witchcrafts.. particularly Valley of Ashes.

I feel hair on my chest growing just reading this:

Valley of Ashes: Coal, tar, bourbon, tobacco, bitter citrus, smoke, leather, motor oil, burning rubber, diesel, clove, birch tar, and bergamot

They seem to go all out on all their descriptions:

Though perhaps not simple ?

Top Bottom