What's new

Searching for a manly soap!(and matching balm hopefully)

I'll recommend Taconic Shave Urban Woods as a nice manly scent for soap. They have an aftershave splash or you can get the solid cologne if you want a stronger scent. It's cedar, tobacco, and bergamot.

I also love the scent of PdP 63. I use their shave soap, bath soap, aftershave balm, body lotion, hand cream, and EdT.

Last edited:
Ha! I love those Southern Witchcraft descriptions. I'll have to check through my samples to see if I own anything from them. Tar, dirt, mildew, burning rubber: What's not to love?

On the other hand, I've tried far too many artisan samples that are just trying too hard. Kinda like a lot of craft beers, now that I think about it. The sense of a balanced, harmonious product often gets lost for me as they try to cram in too much.

Sir Olijadebt, congrats on your Henson razor, they're great!
If you like strong scents, really you should look into some well-scented shaving creams.
Here's one lavender version.
But you might really enjoy Trumper's Spanish Leather a lot!

art of shaving lavender merkur henson december 12 2020.jpg

trumper spanish leather shavemac kai march 23 2017.jpg

Ha! I love those Southern Witchcraft descriptions. I'll have to check through my samples to see if I own anything from them. Tar, dirt, mildew, burning rubber: What's not to love?

On the other hand, I've tried far too many artisan samples that are just trying too hard. Kinda like a lot of craft beers, now that I think about it. The sense of a balanced, harmonious product often gets lost for me as they try to cram in too much.

That was my reaction as well.. they do do samples and I think at some point it might just be worth snagging the whole set just for the curiosity. If it ends up being in the "trying too hard" category its not like a huge loss and the few bucks I think is a worthy donation on sheer attitude alone I think ;)

I think my other favorite part of this is the fact that they seem to be hardcore vegan (we are carnivores) - as I feel like they are just messing with me for the sheer enjoyment of it.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nuavia Blu?

Top notes: citrusy and spicy
  • Orange
  • Lavender
  • Artemisia
  • Eucaliptus
  • Bergamot
Middle notes: spicy and slightly flowery
  • Cumin
  • Clove
  • Oregano
  • Jasmine
  • Ylang Ylang
Bottom notes: amber
  • Vanilla
  • Patchouli
  • Rockrose
  • Labdanum
  • White Musk

The soaps like this that always catches my attention are all the ones by Southern Witchcrafts.. particularly Valley of Ashes.

I feel hair on my chest growing just reading this:

Valley of Ashes: Coal, tar, bourbon, tobacco, bitter citrus, smoke, leather, motor oil, burning rubber, diesel, clove, birch tar, and bergamot

They seem to go all out on all their descriptions:

Though perhaps not simple ?

I took a look and I'll share my oppinion a few rows under.

Didn't PAA make a Ramen scented? Wrong kind of "manly" scent?

That's the student scent, haven't had ramen in quite some time :D

I'll recommend Taconic Shave Urban Woods as a nice manly scent for soap. They have an aftershave splash or you can get the solid cologne if you want a stronger scent. It's cedar, tobacco, and bergamot.

I also love the scent of PdP 63. I use their shave soap, bath soap, aftershave balm, body lotion, hand cream, and EdT.

PdP is a bit expensive for me. Urban Woods sounds awesome, but they only have a splash, which I don't know if they can ship it to Bulgaria. It's a cream, prefer soap, but definitely will consider.

Sir Olijadebt, congrats on your Henson razor, they're great!
If you like strong scents, really you should look into some well-scented shaving creams.
Here's one lavender version.
But you might really enjoy Trumper's Spanish Leather a lot!

View attachment 1217284

View attachment 1217285

Oh the Henson has reborn me, yes it requires almost no skill to find the angle and use, but it gives me the best results, and it's super efficient. I have the same blue as yours in the picture. As for the cream of TAS, it's nice to hear that it has a very potent smell, but none of the aromas are what I am searching for. Also not really a fan of Geo F. Trumper. But thank you very much for the suggestions.

It doesn’t get any more manly than this! One of my very favorites.
Strike Gold - The Gipper
“Scented with western aroma of sweetgrass, cedar, sage, coal, tar, & gunpowder”
View attachment 1217295

Really like the description, but the aftershave has alcohol and it says that there are restrictions :/

Nuavia Blu?

Top notes: citrusy and spicy
  • Orange
  • Lavender
  • Artemisia
  • Eucaliptus
  • Bergamot
Middle notes: spicy and slightly flowery
  • Cumin
  • Clove
  • Oregano
  • Jasmine
  • Ylang Ylang
Bottom notes: amber
  • Vanilla
  • Patchouli
  • Rockrose
  • Labdanum
  • White Musk

No citrus, and also really expensive, if I'm willing to give that much money for one soap I'd rather get MdC or SV.

Stirling Texas on fire maybe? I did not use it, but I remember I was really impessed by scent description, leather, smoke and so on

I've smelled it, not really pleasant for me. Smelled really sour to me.

So, thank you all for the suggestions. B&M Roam, I'm a bit polarized sounds nice, but not sure which of the notes will be dominant, also the balm is 2 oz which for me is crazy little for that price. Most of the leather suggestions I will discard because I don't want a second Midnight Stag.

I have reached to a conclusion for 2 soaps at the moment. One is Taconic Shave Urban Woods which was kindly suggested by mister Bengal Tiger, I just have to find out if they ship the splash. The other one is Southern Witchcraft Lycanthropy. I like the profiling! I looked at the Southern Witchcraft scent profiles, Valley of Ashes, honestly sounds awesome, but it really almost sounds like a second Midnight Stag, or something similar, which I don't wish to duplicate. I think I will opt for one of those two, even though SW Lycanthropy has no splashes in stock atm. Another soap that I really liked the idea was Grooming Dept. Basique, but I can't find it anywhere and also I don't think it has a matching afterbalm.

Again thank you all for your time and suggestions, I am happy that I found something that pleases me, and will ask the vendors if firstly they can ship the splash and then soon I will order them! :)

For Taconic Shave Urban Woods, the solid cologne is like a beeswax lip balm. It's not liquid. They have a soap stick. Both can be shipped anywhere. Amazon sells it so they might ship to Bulgaria.

Amazon also sells PdP 63. It's an investment. The shave soap and EdT are a good value and should last a long time to justify the cost.

Last edited:
Have you considered Sherlock from Chiseled Face? It smells manly to me, and it sounds like you like the performance of Chiseled Face. Sherlock doesn't smell similar to Midnight Stag at all IMO, so no need to worry about redundency.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Truly one of the best scented soaps out there. Performance is also very good. Expensive? Naw.... Same price as a Tex-Mex dinner for my wife and here in Texas.

And the Tex-Mex dinner just lasts an hour or so.

With the Floris hard soaps, be sure to get the potassium palmate first version, that’s the new formula and it performs very well. The old sodium formulas were known for ‘vanishing lather’ as are many of the other English hard soaps. I have an old formula puck of Floris Elite shaving soap that’s doing shower duty. BTW, Elite is an excellent classic scent too!

Top Bottom