What's new

Barbasol 1919

I tried it yesterday as a base layer to face lathered Palmolive. It was slick and the Palmolive became very fluffy for the first pass. It worked pretty well, but I did not re-apply and subsequent passes very average feeling.

I tried this Jack Black Beard Lube sample the other day. It supposedly 'multitasks', does it all.

Barbasol 1919 does it better.

615D7CB6-113B-4A93-A18D-39F618E3F921.jpeg

406C40C8-2A2A-4DAB-AC9C-D8D26D67CBB2.jpeg

I’ve used the 1919 now for about 10 shaves. The only negative I have found is that if I apply it as it’s supposed to be applied I can’t see it there. I can still get my second pass with nothing more than rewetting my face. It is extremely slick

I’ve used the 1919 now for about 10 shaves. The only negative I have found is that if I apply it as it’s supposed to be applied I can’t see it there. I can still get my second pass with nothing more than rewetting my face. It is extremely slick

I have been applying more just so I can see it better. I also tried it as a base layer before lathering with a brush.

Light application, fast shave, easy clean up. This is why the my tube of 1919 (or the Sensitive) and a loaded Schick injector are always close at hand in the medicine cabinet.
458C0651-4C44-46A9-A6F9-96BD2F1C6083.jpeg

I just shaved with barbasol 1919, cold water and a straight razor. Was a very nice shave one pass and a few touch ups, I would say it’s slick almost as slick as kiss my face. I used a boar brush with a very thin see through lather, tomorrow I will use kiss my face and compare.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Someday I will try this. Before sabbatical the best brushless non lathering I used were Billy Jealousy and Dr. Carvers Shave butter. Some others were good, but those two were standouts.

The brushless / latherless stuff appeared during WWII when fats became in short supply because they were needed for the war effort. Molle was one such cream. I've used it in the past and it was different than the new generation of brushless creams. It was more of a cold cream consistency. It worked well enough but did not rinse all that well.

I enjoy making a lather with a good brush, but realistically other than that enjoyment, the shaves with some of the brushless products are, for me 100% as good as any lather. In some cases easier because they are so slick. You don't need cushion if your shaving product is slick.

I'm the same. Nothing against anyone who likes a brushless cream like Cremo or 1919, but I love using a brush and building a lather for my shaves. It may save a little time though and I totally get that. Still cool to see them innovating even if it's not the old school formula I was hoping for.

I think it's a business move based on trends more than pure retro nostalgia. Younger folks just don't shave with cans as much as older generations, and the brushless creams and gels seem to be slowly taking over.

Cremo is slicker however kiss my face has a better balance between slickness with some cushion, where cremo hasn’t any. Kiss my face has a better post shave feel imo.

KMF is a lathering cream, Cremo is brushless.

I was looking for a comparison between Barbasol and Cremo. I have used Sensitive Skin Barbasol in the past and thought it was acceptable, but it's been discontinued in favor of this newer product.

It's disappointing to hear that the scent has changed. The old Sensitive tube had a nice classic scent that was not particularly heavy. To my knowledge, it was largely the same as the original, sort of a barbershop fougere scent.

Synthetic citrus scents are ubiquitous in modern shave products now days but I am no fan of them.

Shaved with cremo tonight, same setup as kiss my face and barbasol 1919. As far as slickness, glide and post shave feel cremo wins by far over barbasol 1919, between kiss my face and cremo kiss my face has more cushion, but nowhere near the glide as cremo. Post shave feel it’s close but I think cremo wins slightly, just my opinion.

I have used Cremo as a pre-shave for several years. Tried the Barbasol 1919 today as a pre-shave alternative to Cremo. I felt the Barbasol 1919 provided a slicker base than Cremo, by a nudge. They are both fantastic for slickness and protection. I still prefer the Cremo original citrus scent, but the Barbasol 1919 is similarly "lightly scented" and not an overpowering barbershop scent. IMHO, Kiss my face is still a fantastic product and has the best post shave feel, but I only have purchased it in the pump jar....and prefer the squeeze tubes of Cremo and Barbasol 1919. One last thing: Both the Cremo and Barbasol must be wetted down during application for the best results. This gives a very thin protective coating to your sking. I saw someone reviewing Barbasol 1919 on youtube and complaining that it was gumming up his razor. He was not wetting the product down properly, and applying it to thick.

Top Bottom