What's new

Forthcoming Beatles documentary

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Peter JACKSON! To this I say "Alright, Alright, Alright!" I like that guy. Did you see his recent WWI documentary They Shall Not Grow Old ? In a single word "Exceptional"

Definitely will be watching for this to be released. Also, did you catch Ron Howard's Beatles documentary a couple of years back? Also quite good..

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Remarkable how clear the video is considering it’s shot in what...60’ or 70’s? I wouldn’t call myself a fan in the sense that I know all their songs, have all their albums, and memorabilia. But I do enjoy their music and will watch this when I can.

I find it fascinating how successful they were. And also how other bands at the time influenced their music, like The Beach Boys.

Watched the trailer yesterday; it looks excellent. I'll definitely be watching when it comes out. Would have loved to seen Billy Preston make more music with the Beatles. He really complemented their sound.

I saw Billy Preston and thought, "Oh my gosh - that's right. He did sit in with them."

Another that I still shake my head over is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. George couldn't get the guitar solo they way he wanted it and mentioned to the rest that he knows a guy who probably could pull it off. The others said sure, go have him sit in so we can get it the way it needs to be. So George rings up his friend Eric Clapton and tells him why he is calling. Clapton tells him, "Oh no, only Beatles play on your albums but thanks for calling." Clapton respectfully turns down... The Beatles. So they come back at him and he relents. And he knocks the song out of the park.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This thread sent me down a Beatles Google search and YouTube search. I had no idea My Sweet Lord was sang by George Harrison, nor did I ever know it was LORD. I thought he was saying LOVE all these years.

I was in high school in the 60s and love their early songs. I even remember seeing A Hard Days Night on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 64. I still watch the film occasionally on TCM, and have the soundtrack on CD and my iTunes. I'm was not a fan of any Beatles music from Sgt Pepper and beyond.

As for Jackson, I was amazed how well he brought LOTR to screen 20 years ago. I have read the books numerous times since the mid-60s and thought Jackson did a great job. However, I have a friend, also a long-time Tolkien fan who thought Jackson's movies were an abomination. We've had some good arguments over those films and books. My friend turned out to be right. When it was announced that Jackson was remaking the 1933 King Kong, in my opinion one of the greatest movies ever made, I eagerly awaited its release. What a huge disappointment!! I found Jackson's King Kong an abomination, and a typical sellout to Hollywood. If the 1st film had one T-Rex, let's add 3 and have him bounce around the countryside like the Incredible Hulk. I say Bollocks! I not only have not seen a Jackson movie since Kong, I gave my LOTR dvds to Goodwill.

I was talking to my BF about this film the other day.. I was thinking how interesting it would be if this was the first film to reopen theaters. This may bring some healing to America's psyche after the really rough year we've had, in a similar way they did after the assassination of JFK. How fitting.

I was in high school in the 60s and love their early songs. I even remember seeing A Hard Days Night on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 64. I still watch the film occasionally on TCM, and have the soundtrack on CD and my iTunes. I'm was not a fan of any Beatles music from Sgt Pepper and beyond.

As for Jackson, I was amazed how well he brought LOTR to screen 20 years ago. I have read the books numerous times since the mid-60s and thought Jackson did a great job. However, I have a friend, also a long-time Tolkien fan who thought Jackson's movies were an abomination. We've had some good arguments over those films and books. My friend turned out to be right. When it was announced that Jackson was remaking the 1933 King Kong, in my opinion one of the greatest movies ever made, I eagerly awaited its release. What a huge disappointment!! I found Jackson's King Kong an abomination, and a typical sellout to Hollywood. If the 1st film had one T-Rex, let's add 3 and have him bounce around the countryside like the Incredible Hulk. I say Bollocks! I not only have not seen a Jackson movie since Kong, I gave my LOTR dvds to Goodwill.
After King Kong I joked with my wife that Jackson had managed to tell the same story in twice the time of the original.

I read about it a short while before seeing this thread. I’m looking forward to seeing it. It’s a part of my youth.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

You should do yourself a favor and try They Shall Never Grow Old

If you don't like that one I'd be stunned.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Remarkable how clear the video is considering it’s shot in what...60’ or 70’s?

That's because it was filmed. Film quality can actually be quite good. It may have been restored a bit, too, but who knows?

I'm looking forward to this! I've been a huge Beatles fan since before I was born.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's because it was filmed. Film quality can actually be quite good. It may have been restored a bit, too, but who knows?

I'm looking forward to this! I've been a huge Beatles fan since before I was born.

So in other words not digital you mean? It was actually recorded on a roll of film?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
You should do yourself a favor and try They Shall Never Grow Old

If you don't like that one I'd be stunned.

I saw it (TSNGO) day one last year, incredible experience. I was just starting shaving when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan .. lo those many grisly eons ago ..

Remember when pop music didn't completely suck? Wasn't written by a committee, at a third grade reading level? And it was performed by musicians? Who could play an instrument? Not a computer. No auto-tune?

Remember that?

Top Bottom