What's new

Some Simpsons advice ..... please.

@BudgetShaverGuy from the picture you posted, I think I understand why your Duke has less backbone than your berkeley. the hair on your Berkeley looks a lot closer to Simpson pure and the hair on your Duke looks a lot closer to Simpson super. The best grade does have some variability in it and it looks like you got a very stiff scrubby batch in the Berkeley and a very soft fine batch in the Duke.

Duke 2 best at $38 is a no brainer... Same for chubby 2 best at $72.

In regards to the “too good to be true” pricing, it seems to me the current global health crisis has effected businesses, specially small businesses, in unpredictable and in some cases devastating and catastrophic ways. The manufacturer probably had large inventory of certain models (CH2B and Duke2B) that needed to be moved and one Amazon vendor obliged. We, the consumers, are the ultimate beneficiaries of this. I recall some similar deals and such during the financial crisis of 2008.

-or- it is just possible the vendor could be like... one of us... what with all of our avowed BAD and OCD? It well might be the vendor is a compulsive collector and having a Santa moment!
(hey, I just said It Could Happen - I said nothing about it DID!)

Price on the Duke 2 is too good to pass up. I've owned 8 Simpsons: Berkeley, Colonel, Duke 1, Duke 2, Rover, Special, 56 & Wee Scot. All but the Duke 1 and Rover are gone, in favor of more expensive 2-band brushes. I remember the Duke 2 being a great brush. The only reason I sold it was that it was too similar in size to my Rover. The Special and 56 were PIF'd to friends or family, but there are still times I miss those two. They were good brushes.

As for the Duke 2, I bought it used from another member at a meet for $55 and thought that was a good deal.

@BudgetShaverGuy from the picture you posted, I think I understand why your Duke has less backbone than your berkeley. the hair on your Berkeley looks a lot closer to Simpson pure and the hair on your Duke looks a lot closer to Simpson super. The best grade does have some variability in it and it looks like you got a very stiff scrubby batch in the Berkeley and a very soft fine batch in the Duke.

Duke 2 best at $38 is a no brainer... Same for chubby 2 best at $72.

Well damn.....why couldn't it have been the other way around?! They would've BOTH been utter perfection.

:D

Gentlemen ..... I am very glad that my thread has generated so much enthusiasm and sage advice. Your comments are terrific.
Meanwhile, a warm (mid-50's) very rainy day here in the Capital district of New York State. We had 29 inches of snow here last Thursday, and it's all almost melted away. So, it's a “wet Christmas” instead of a “white Christmas.” Hope you're all enjoying a happy, healthy, and peaceful holiday.

Gentlemen ..... I am very glad that my thread has generated so much enthusiasm and sage advice. Your comments are terrific.
Meanwhile, a warm (mid-50's) very rainy day here in the Capital district of New York State. We had 29 inches of snow here last Thursday, and it's all almost melted away. So, it's a “wet Christmas” instead of a “white Christmas.” Hope you're all enjoying a happy, healthy, and peaceful holiday.
Yep, snow here just north of Albany has been largely reduced. Even my adult kids were looking forward to the deep snow. Now I am going back and forth about whether to order a Simpson brush or not and which one to order.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another New Yorker facing dreary day but brightened by $38 Duke 2.... just ordered it for fun. Did get this nice synthetic M7 (the tortoiseshell “limited edition”) yesterday. Really nice synthetic. Liked it well more than the Chubby 2 synthetic I sold recently.
2C83B950-C8AC-4F39-AC91-61C98E8A5B44.jpeg

Yep, snow here just north of Albany has been largely reduced. Even my adult kids were looking forward to the deep snow. Now I am going back and forth about whether to order a Simpson brush or not and which one to order.

Here in Altamont ...... Stuck inside the house, my wife and I on the living room sofa binging Netflix, with our dog Yogi cuddling
between us. 12 year old Glenfiddich single malt in my hand, and a beautiful herb encrusted beef tenderloin with veggies about
to go into the oven. And a Stag's Leap Cabernet will soon be uncorked. A perfect day to buy a new Simpsons brush. :thumbup::thumbup:
And here's my Glenfiddich and Simpsons brushes getting ready to greet their new friend.
And the tenderloin and veggies ready to go into the oven. Gents, in this crazy pandemic world, it's a pleasure finding happiness
in the little things of life !

27169A2E-9D5C-477D-B0C5-6CB45B084802.jpeg
6D8DCD3E-960E-4095-8534-8DF615E1962C.jpeg

Here in Altamont ...... Stuck inside the house, my wife and I on the living room sofa binging Netflix, with our dog Yogi cuddling
between us. 12 year old Glenfiddich single malt in my hand, and a beautiful herb encrusted beef tenderloin with veggies about
to go into the oven. And a Stag's Leap Cabernet will soon be uncorked. A perfect day to buy a new Simpsons brush. [emoji106][emoji106]
And here's my Glenfiddich and Simpsons brushes getting ready to greet their new friend.
And the tenderloin and veggies ready to go into the oven. Gents, in this crazy pandemic world, it's a pleasure finding happiness
in the little things of life !

View attachment 1199891View attachment 1199892
Clifton Park here. That meal looks fantastic. We are just about ready with our brussel sprouts as well. The main focus is venison, duck, and pheasant (venison and pheasant are courtesy of my oldest son, who evidently does better in the field than I do).

Clifton Park here. That meal looks fantastic. We are just about ready with our brussel sprouts as well. The main focus is venison, duck, and pheasant (venison and pheasant are courtesy of my oldest son, who evidently does better in the field than I do).

And your dinner sounds sublime. Delicious indeed. Enjoy !

$38 for a Duke 2 is a no brainer. The Colonel is probably the closest to it, but I think the Duke is denser and I prefer the Duke for face lathering. Those two brushes should complement each other ver well. But you will want a Duke 3 at some point!!

I’ve been to Clifton Park on more than one occasion.

I grabbed one of these duke2s because of this thread and i went to Union!

Union College --- great school and beautiful campus. I enjoyed many terrific concerts in the Chapel over the years.
And, before the pandemic hit, there were lots of wonderful restaurants on upper Union Street, not far from campus.
I hope we both enjoy our new Duke 2's !

Wow ! The Amazon website right now. Simpsons Duke 2 back up to a hundred bucks !!
I am so very glad that we who purchased it yesterday still got the $ 39 price. :thumbup::thumbup:

B7D728BD-8E17-4442-891E-201A91661FF4.jpeg

And here's my order from yesterday.. Lucky me !

94D64B58-CAF3-4A2E-A2E7-828991E979E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow ! The Amazon website right now. Simpsons Duke 2 back up to a hundred bucks !!
I am so very glad that we who purchased it yesterday still got the $ 39 price. [emoji106][emoji106]

View attachment 1200146

And here's my order from yesterday.. Lucky me !

View attachment 1200147
Well, I don't actually need another brush, so I guess I will wait for another time. Glad you got the deal.

Well, I don't actually need another brush, so I guess I will wait for another time. Glad you got the deal.

And I didn't "need" another brush either. ---- Strictly an enjoyable impulse purchase.
But there's something "dangerous" about teetering on the edge of that darn rabbit hole. LOL !:thumbup:

Top Bottom