What's new

Some Simpsons advice ..... please.

Merry Christmas Gentlemen !
I have currently enjoy shaving with three Simpsons best badger brushes ----- Berkeley 46, Special, and Colonel X2L.
These are all terrific members of my regular ten brush rotation. Now, ... Amazon has a great price on the Duke 2 ($ 38),
and I'm considering purchasing it. But I need your help, from those who have first hand experience. How different is the
Duke 2 from the three Simpsons badgers that I already have ? Any photos showing the Duke 2 with any (or all) of my
three, showing a good size comparison ? If it's too similar to what I already have, there's probably no sense in buying it.
All comments and suggestions from you fine gentlemen are welcome. Thanks a lot !

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have no direct experience of the Berkeley, Special, or Colonel in Best but I have used all the Duke range in Best and Manchurian. Aside from the differences in handles and knot sizes, I suggest the biggest difference will be the density of the knot. The Duke is a much more dense knot than the others although not quite up with the Chubby or Classic. In my view the Duke series are the best all round brushes that Simpson make and the price you quote is an absolute bargain. I would not hesitate to recommend the Duke 2.

I have both the Colonel and the Duke 2, Adam. The knots are very similar, IMO. I know some say the Duke is denser, but in my experience, I just don’t experience much difference.

If I were you, I would consider getting the Duke 3 for something different. It is a VERY nice brush. Larger, yes, but not enormous. Some say it is the perfect size. At ~$80 on Amazon, it is a steal.

$38 for the Duke 2 is criminal as well. If you didn’t have the Colonel already, which amazingly enough is now more expensive than the Duke 2, I would recommend it.

Pictures per your request:
D53956BB-0BBF-4F35-890A-6DB5178AAEB2.jpeg
14244EA6-C370-480E-9717-22B33E1F53AF.jpeg

Colonel on the left, Duke on the right. In testing the knots side by side, the Duke might be a little denser, but it’s not a significant difference, IMO.

I recommend the Duke 3. I think once you try a larger brush you will be hooked. Once I started using larger brushes I sold everything smaller than the Duke 3. I know your mileage may very. But I would try something different rather than more of the same.
DAEF27E1-6AC0-4A8B-B3C9-213DE86CFDD6.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

Resellers can set their own prices but the prices set by Simpson are generally according to the cost of manufacture, the handle, and the hair, measured by weight. They have the Colonel at £58.50 and the Duke 2 at £79.80. The knots are both 21mm with the Colonel having a 1mm higher loft , and I might expect the Colonel handle to be more expensive than the Duke 2 since it is longer and heavier. I assume therefore that there is significantly more weight of hair in the Duke than the Colonel and that is the reason for the price difference. I would expect the Duke to be more dense than the Colonel for this reason alone but of course the proof of that is only found by comparing them both, as described by @CJB3. Of course Simpson Best knots are notoriously variable. My Duke 3 density is very similar to my Chubby 1 and Classic 1 and seems very dense to me. I agree the Duke 3 is superb, but all of the Duke range are, especially for face lathering. At the prices you quote I would get the Duke 2, I think you would experience a noticeable difference.

Variability is part of Simpsons appeal! Specimens of same model can be very different, so it is tough to generalize.

That said, my current stable includes: Duke 2, 57, Classic 2, Chubby 1 and Wee Scot, all in best. Plus, I have a Tulip 2 in super. I enjoy each and every one!

My recollection is that the Duke series is extremely popular for reason that these are versatile and comfortable brushes that just work well!! You definitely ’need‘ a Duke!! :a29: :a29:

I own a Duke 2 and Berkeley, and those are the only 2 brushes I will use at this point. They look similar, but are two completely different brushes. I alternate between them depending on how my face feels that day.

Sensitive face: Duke 2. Comfortable, holds tons of lather, at the expensive of some lathering speed. Knot is somewhat floppy by comparison but is an amazing painter. The handle kills the Berkeley’s if you ask me.

Normal face: Berkeley. Scrubby and speedy lather maker that holds plenty of lather, but is a little too much if my face is weather beaten at all.

$37, psh. No brainer. That’s like 50% off a dental cleaning, you’re doin it anyways!

6ADDBAF5-8D69-4B91-9E9F-0A5FCAC9B04A.jpeg

At $38 the Duke is a must purchase, all other considerations aside. That price is probably a 30 year low for a Duke 2. It will probably feel considerably more dense than your 46, by the way.

I do wonder about the long term viability of Simpson as a business given these low prices. I hope they don’t go the way of the dodo.

At $38 the Duke is a must purchase, all other considerations aside. That price is probably a 30 year low for a Duke 2. It will probably feel considerably more dense than your 46, by the way.

Agree regarding the price, disagree regarding the density. The Duke clearly has more hair, but does not feel as dense as the Berkeley, my samples anyway.

Just my opinion of course, I could have a more-dense-than-normal Berkeley and a less-dense-than normal Duke for all I know.

EclipseRedRing

I do wonder about the long term viability of Simpson as a business given these low prices. I hope they don’t go the way of the dodo.
The US Amazon prices I have recently seen quoted on B&B seem much lower than on the Simpson website or from any supplier in the UK that I have seen. I am no businessman but it does not look good to me and I too wonder about the future for Simpson as a business.

In regards to the “too good to be true” pricing, it seems to me the current global health crisis has effected businesses, specially small businesses, in unpredictable and in some cases devastating and catastrophic ways. The manufacturer probably had large inventory of certain models (CH2B and Duke2B) which needed to be moved and one Amazon vendor obliged. We, the consumers, are the ultimate beneficiaries of this. I recall some similar deals and such during the financial crisis of 2008.

Top Bottom