What's new

Have I found my DE holy grail?

I recently received a Rex Ambassador for my birthday. I don't have an exhaustive shave den, by B&B standards, but I own almost all of the RR Gamechanger configurations, a Muhle Rocca, a Gillette Fatboy, a Gillette Slim and a Fatip Piccolo. I shaved exclusively with a Merkur 34C for several years and used to own a Merkur Futur. I have tried the Timeless Bronze in both the SB and OC plates, as part of the pass around. Well, only two shaves in with the Rex and I can tell you none of the prior razors I have used come close to the shaving experience of the Rex, for me, so far! The fit and finish are flawless and it's a badass DE, compared to the rest. Moreover, it literally provided the most effortless BBS shave, without the slightest hint of irritation. My second shave with the Rex was literally the best shave I've had in eight years of DE shaving. I don't think it can get better than this, for me! I was all set to grab a Homelike Shaving Taiga as it approaches availability again, but now I think not. It serves no purpose in my den. I'm staying on the Wolfman list but, when my WR2 comes around in February or March it, it has some big shoes to fill!
DE Grail_InPixio.jpg

Ron,

How is it superior to the Fat Boy and Slim?

What setting did you use, and do you rate your whiskers as mild, average, or coarse?
I love my Fatboy and get great shaves from it, but it always draws a little blood. For me the Slim is smoother than the Fatboy but both feel a little harsher at the higher settings, which I need. I have a very course beard. First shave with Rex was on 3 for entire shave. Very close and very comfortable. Second shave was 5 WTG, 3 XTG and 1 ATG. Superb! Next I’m going to shave with razor set at 4 for entire shave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It' really wonderful to find a razor that makes the experience so much better. For me, very recently, I've come into my own with a combo of a Charcoal Goods SS SB LvL2 and a Karve Brass SB (Plate B). I could just rotate those two razors and never need anything else.

Congrats! My Rex is my favorite modern razor and my daily shaver during the workweek. Many, many great shaves await you! You’ll love it. Might I suggest, when cleaning with a toothbrush, give care to get around the edges of the adjustment dial. I recently discovered this trick.

Congrats! My Rex is my favorite modern razor and my daily shaver during the workweek. Many, many great shaves await you! You’ll love it. Might I suggest, when cleaning with a toothbrush, give care to get around the edges of the adjustment dial. I recently discovered this trick.
Thanks very much for the tip! I’m actually considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner for my Rex and Gillette adjustables.

I love my Fatboy and get great shaves from it, but it always draws a little blood. For me the Slim is smoother than the Fatboy but both feel a little harsher at the higher settings, which I need. I have a very course beard. First shave with Rex was on 3 for entire shave. Very close and very comfortable. Second shave was 5 WTG, 3 XTG and 1 ATG. Superb! Next I’m going to shave with razor set at 4 for entire shave.
If the Fat Boy typically draws a little blood, that might suggest the razor is set slightly too high. With adjustable razors, a higher setting is not necessarily better. Way too many guys erroneously believe it's best to use an adjustable razor at its highest setting.

I too have tough "old man" whiskers. A setting of 5 and 6 on the Fat Boy/Slim is about right for me. I do 3 pass shaves, and am a "set it and leave it" guy.

Congrats on getting a razor that works so well for you. FWIW While I have a desert island, only one razor for the rest of my life razor, my EJ DE89 LBL, I would really miss the option to pick a razor that shaves very differently from my Holy Grail razor. In shaving, for me anyway, variety is the spice of shaving.

Top Bottom