What's new

What Soap/AS scents do you consider to be “old man” Scents?

My wife said anything "musky" e.g. Varvatos (which I have historically loved) or any classical normal colognes smells like old man to her but the soapy type smells .. e.g. Truefitt's 1805 smells young and fresh..

I alternate btwn being confused and just rollin w/ it ;)

I dunno.

I like to wear scents that nobody else wears, because i generally don't like most popular scents, and am allergic to many of them anyway.

I like Lolita Lempicka, which has a bit of black licorice in the background. Right now I'm wearing a rose scent by Atelier. I love all kinds of citrus scents, so I often wear Atelier's Pacific Lime. My other favorite scent is Monsieur Balmain, a blast of lemon followed, about two hours later, by a light musk drydown.

I have never worn any of the classic scents mentioned in this thread. I think my choices are neither 'old man' nor 'currently popular.'

When around men in my age group (63) , I smell AV, OS, Stetson, Brute etc. My Grandad smelled of pipe tobacco and dad smelled of AV and gin.

When I was 20, I didn’t care what was considered suitable for ‘old men’, and what was considered suitable for my age. I liked what I liked.
Now I’m 62, and guess what? I still don’t care. I still like what I like. And my cupboard full of smelly stuff covers scents from Brut and Quorum, Whitewater and Old Spice Original, to Police, Burberry, Boss, D&G, and Ikon.

Incidentally, the Brut is there because my wife used to love it - but we both agree we don’t care for the current version. Mind you, when I was 20, everyone wore it - I didn’t like it much then either ...🙄

My sons are young adults who I am educating in wet shaving. They draw a distinct line between "Old Man" and "Old School".
To them, Old School is cool; Old Man is not.

Old School scents that they like are Pinaud Special Reserve, Guirlain Vetiver, Proraso Green, Floris 89.

They label the following as Old Man - Tabac, Pinaud Clubman, Floid Vigaroso.

I love them all!

When I was 20, I didn’t care what was considered suitable for ‘old men’, and what was considered suitable for my age. I liked what I liked.
Now I’m 62, and guess what? I still don’t care. I still like what I like. And my cupboard full of smelly stuff covers scents from Brut and Quorum, Whitewater and Old Spice Original, to Police, Burberry, Boss, D&G, and Ikon.

Incidentally, the Brut is there because my wife used to love it - but we both agree we don’t care for the current version. Mind you, when I was 20, everyone wore it - I didn’t like it much then either ...🙄
Best way to be in life dont give a pluck what others think :thumbsup:

the man den.......stay the heck out!!! I have a gorgeous wife, so that's one set of problems with a girl, then two daughters, one is 4 and the other is 19 months.......and don't even get me started on the female golden retriever..........I live in a eco-system of estrogen.

I'm 46 and I can remember when I was a little kid, my dad wore Old Spice, my buddy's dad was a Brute man, my grandfather wore Stetson or Chaps (he was a cowboys kind of guy), and my great-grandfather wore the blue Aqua Velva.

These scents all strike me as classics only because of the time period I was initially exposed to them and who wore them.

I don't even remotely consider myself an old man but instill enjoy every one of these scents even though Im not a huge fan of Stetson and Chaps

I'm 46 and I can remember when I was a little kid, my dad wore Old Spice, my buddy's dad was a Brute man, my grandfather wore Stetson or Chaps (he was a cowboys kind of guy), and my great-grandfather wore the blue Aqua Velva.

These scents all strike me as classics only because of the time period I was initially exposed to them and who wore them.

I don't even remotely consider myself an old man but instill enjoy every one of these scents even though Im not a huge fan of Stetson and Chaps
Swap those numbers around and you get my age. I remember both my father and my grandfather, my grandparents lived with us when I was very young ( late 50s early 60s when my dad was stationed in California ) changed up once in awhile but I have memories of seeing Mennens in the bathroom. I remember other scents on them too but I have no idea what they were. One other thing I'd like to mention about those days. About a year after I began wet shaving my brother and I found my father's and my grandfather's TV Special Super Speed razors. Complete with cases and partially used dispensers of Blue blades for each. Both in excellent condition, even the cases were unmarked.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To me, Old Spice is "Classic", whereas anything predominantly or significantly floral smells of "old folk". Specifically any old folk I encountered as a kid. Weird, scary, smelly old folk, that for some reason I was expected to be more polite around than "normal" people.

The divide was normally accompanied by someone being called Mr or Mrs something, instead of having a forename. People with forenames never smelled of old folk, and smelly old folk never had forenames. When I started gardening, I preferred growing edibles to flowers, as flowers tend to smell of old folk.

I don't think I'll ever break that association, even if I live to 100, and if I ever get put in a home that smells that way, I'm doing a runner!

Top Bottom