What's new

Barbasol 1919

Just got mine today only to noticed that mine got destroyed getting here smell nice thought contacted barbasol about it
proxy.php

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
So, I'm reading all this...and I ordered my tube...a-hem...tubes. Yep. I bought 2 straight from their website through Twitter promo. Well, I'll be damned! I'm already thinking that 1 tube will last me until 2119....like my first Proraso Green tube lasted from 2002 until 2015. So, Let me send you my 2nd tube. No kidding. Please. e-mail me your address for shipping it to you. ([email protected])

It's funny! I came in here, reading up if anyone else had ever asked the shave community what brands ever rubbed-in. "No Brush", we all have those and know what we're doing with 'em. "No lather", well, another one we know what that means... but it was the "Rub-In", that was rubbing me the wrong way. What creams were rubbed-in? Burma? Old Colgate? I'm thinking Pre-Post WW1, US brands in competition with Barbasol only...and thought - Hmm.. Nope! - Not-a-one! So, if you have the answer - - Who rubbed-in? - - Lemmekno!

For those who'd like to see it in action before they try it, SL took it for a spin. I am far too fond of the stuff that lathers (and using a brush!) so I'll be passing.

I'm the same. Nothing against anyone who likes a brushless cream like Cremo or 1919, but I love using a brush and building a lather for my shaves. It may save a little time though and I totally get that. Still cool to see them innovating even if it's not the old school formula I was hoping for.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So has this replaced the Non-Aerosol Sensitive Skin that came in the 5 oz tubes? 'Cause if you look on Barbasol's website it's "sold out" and it's no longer findable on Walgreens website (where I'd purchased some before)...

It's funny! I came in here, reading up if anyone else had ever asked the shave community what brands ever rubbed-in. "No Brush", we all have those and know what we're doing with 'em. "No lather", well, another one we know what that means... but it was the "Rub-In", that was rubbing me the wrong way. What creams were rubbed-in? Burma? Old Colgate? I'm thinking Pre-Post WW1, US brands in competition with Barbasol only...and thought - Hmm.. Nope! - Not-a-one! So, if you have the answer - - Who rubbed-in? - - Lemmekno!
Forgot to add Lucky Tiger in the list. Regarding the Mollé style of brush-less cream formulas out there - that's my vote for the cream that you "rub-in". I just used it last night, not as a shave cream, but as a 'cold cream' to wash/moisturize my face last night after returning home from work (in the CoViD world). I rubbed it in, and it stuck around for 3 washes!

"BARBASOL 1919" VERIFIED BUYER - USER REVIEW - FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Okay, I just shaved a 1-Day growth off this morning with my new tube of "1919", and I continued using my October razor - Feather Artist Club Kamisori-style, using a Schick Pro-Line P-30, since 10/01/20.
My first gamble is to see how many shaves (daily) will I get off a fresh P-30.
That aside, I was also trying to use a single soap for a month - but that's now off the rails for this try-out.

Also, if anyone's interested I've been using my Epsilon brown horsehair fan shaped 26mm.

So. there was a reaction to the SL video (wherein he says, and shows him using a "nickel sized" amount) that it was too much. Correct! I used a "pea-sized" squeeze. (This is one of the reasons it took YEARS for my Proraso Green tube to finish!) TL;DR ? - ? - ? - It's GREAT STUFF! (B'19, and Proraso)

Using an aerosol Barbasol technique of spray into one hand and shave with the other - keeping any excess "on-hand, at-the-ready" for additional passes, I applied it to the wet face. It disappeared visually but whoo-BOY! it's slick! for sure! It's slicker than Cremo Cooling, which I also have, and it's smoother than Barbasol Sensitive non-aerosol, which, I also have.
Slickness
- - with JUST that pea-sized application, I got one pass on half of my face, and then it began to get tacky.
Maybe I didn't have enough residual water on my face, perhaps the pea was on the small size.
I re-wet my face and massaged my face "moving" the leftover from the right side of my face to all-over, to see what I would have on my face to attempt to finish the first pass.
I decided to apply a 2nd pea. In doing so, I massaged it all over, including the just shaven left side of my face.
This was genius. It reslicked the residual cream, and boosted the performance of the new "pea".
I finished the "first pass" of the right side of my face, and started in on my rinse.
We all "check" during that rinse if we found a straggler or somewhere that needs a buffing.
So, I turned the rinse into a re-wet, and went to town buffing off the spots I needed to clean from first pass. Then, I turned the razor over and went for my official "second pass". I applied no additional cream, I just kept wetting my face after I finished the pass, and buffed, buffed, buffed, until I was done.
Record time! - - Or so it felt. But I do know that it was a time-saver, and my impression of the performance, scent, and slickness of new "Barabasol 1919", is well-roundedly positive!

Scent Strength: 6-7 out of 10: I've smelled this before. Or so we all think. It's along the lines of a Lemon/Citrus Verbena. Not unlike Fine Accoutrements, Italian Barber/RazoRock's Gold Label or Cumba Cheech, or Tim's Soap Vintage. It's light...not linen, not syrup-sweet. It's faint- not up your nose

Smooth: 10. It's a fine cream, not runny, or chalky, or thick. Very stable.

Performance: 9 out of 10: Why 9 after this review? - - Well, you have intrinsic superior slickness and that begets the shaving comfort, yes. But a picking point that I, and others have cited - you have to take a few shaves to dial in "how much" is enough for you.

Comfort: 10 of 10: No nicks.
IMG_20201010_104724.jpg

"BARBASOL 1919" VERIFIED BUYER - USER REVIEW - FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Okay, I just shaved a 1-Day growth off this morning with my new tube of "1919", and I continued using my October razor - Feather Artist Club Kamisori-style, using a Schick Pro-Line P-30, since 10/01/20.
My first gamble is to see how many shaves (daily) will I get off a fresh P-30.
That aside, I was also trying to use a single soap for a month - but that's now off the rails for this try-out.

Also, if anyone's interested I've been using my Epsilon brown horsehair fan shaped 26mm.

So. there was a reaction to the SL video (wherein he says, and shows him using a "nickel sized" amount) that it was too much. Correct! I used a "pea-sized" squeeze. (This is one of the reasons it took YEARS for my Proraso Green tube to finish!) TL;DR ? - ? - ? - It's GREAT STUFF! (B'19, and Proraso)

Using an aerosol Barbasol technique of spray into one hand and shave with the other - keeping any excess "on-hand, at-the-ready" for additional passes, I applied it to the wet face. It disappeared visually but whoo-BOY! it's slick! for sure! It's slicker than Cremo Cooling, which I also have, and it's smoother than Barbasol Sensitive non-aerosol, which, I also have.
Slickness
- - with JUST that pea-sized application, I got one pass on half of my face, and then it began to get tacky.
Maybe I didn't have enough residual water on my face, perhaps the pea was on the small size.
I re-wet my face and massaged my face "moving" the leftover from the right side of my face to all-over, to see what I would have on my face to attempt to finish the first pass.
I decided to apply a 2nd pea. In doing so, I massaged it all over, including the just shaven left side of my face.
This was genius. It reslicked the residual cream, and boosted the performance of the new "pea".
I finished the "first pass" of the right side of my face, and started in on my rinse.
We all "check" during that rinse if we found a straggler or somewhere that needs a buffing.
So, I turned the rinse into a re-wet, and went to town buffing off the spots I needed to clean from first pass. Then, I turned the razor over and went for my official "second pass". I applied no additional cream, I just kept wetting my face after I finished the pass, and buffed, buffed, buffed, until I was done.
Record time! - - Or so it felt. But I do know that it was a time-saver, and my impression of the performance, scent, and slickness of new "Barabasol 1919", is well-roundedly positive!

Scent Strength: 6-7 out of 10: I've smelled this before. Or so we all think. It's along the lines of a Lemon/Citrus Verbena. Not unlike Fine Accoutrements, Italian Barber/RazoRock's Gold Label or Cumba Cheech, or Tim's Soap Vintage. It's light...not linen, not syrup-sweet. It's faint- not up your nose

Smooth: 10. It's a fine cream, not runny, or chalky, or thick. Very stable.

Performance: 9 out of 10: Why 9 after this review? - - Well, you have intrinsic superior slickness and that begets the shaving comfort, yes. But a picking point that I, and others have cited - you have to take a few shaves to dial in "how much" is enough for you.

Comfort: 10 of 10: No nicks.View attachment 1166726

Great review, with well-informed product comparisons. Thanks for the photo! I had been beginning to think I was the only guy on B&B with a honkin' huge tub of Mollé.

I'm envying the vintage Barbasol and Burma-Shave. :001_wub: Burma-Shave 10¢!

I have exactly those four modern Americans. I will do a run through of those four, first for clean up/line up, then for full shaves.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dang! It pays to listen to the spiel sometimes. "... comin' to ya from out Indianapolis way, the home of good ole Barbasol." - Singin' Sam.

No wonder I'm a bit of a fanboy, Hoosier-born in Indy my own self.
Singin' Sam spent most of his radio career on the air at 700 WLW in Cincinnati. He lived most of his life in Richmond, Indiana, just over the Ohio border- pretty close to Dayton.

Barbasol is made in Dublin, Ohio, just outside Columbus.

Last edited:
Singin' Sam spent most of his radio career on the air at 700 WLW in Cincinnati. He lived most of his life in Richmond, Indiana, just over the Ohio border- pretty close to Dayton.

Barbasol is made in Dublin, Ohio, just outside Columbus.

Thanks for the extra info! I know Richmond, railroad town back in the day, Wayne County seat. My mom was a Cincinnati Reds fan in her flaming, Depression-era youth in rural Wayne County.

Going to order me a tube of this. I like Barbasol myself. Does anyone know anything about the old Barbasol jars that are fairly commonly found? Did they also put the cream in the jar in times past?

Cream in jars - not just Barbasol. Here is a Mennen Cream jar from back in the day:
33CDC630-ACDF-4A5D-A87F-C3C6C4037549.jpeg

Lucky Tiger (Mollé), Clubman, Gabels, and Stephan all currently sell cream in jars, primarily destined for barber shops and salons.

From what I'm reading, can I assume that a tube will last awhile even if you have to apply 3 pea sized applications + a bit for the touch ups? It can't possibly last as long as a tube of Palmolive or Proraso where a half inch string is enough for 3 passes +.

Does anyone know if Barbasol discontinued their aftershave splash? It's not available on their site.

From what I'm reading, can I assume that a tube will last awhile even if you have to apply 3 pea sized applications + a bit for the touch ups? It can't possibly last as long as a tube of Palmolive or Proraso where a half inch string is enough for 3 passes +.

Does anyone know if Barbasol discontinued their aftershave splash? It's not available on their site.

Barbasol Brisk after shave is still on the site, with all the shaving creams. They’ll sell you a case of six bottles for $20.

The only unavailable product is the sensitive skin shaving cream in the tube. I suppose they let the manufacturing facilities for that product get switched over to 1919. Have to see if they’ll ever switch back.

Barbasol Brisk after shave is still on the site, with all the shaving creams. They’ll sell you a case of six bottles for$20

Thanks. They should create a menu option for it. We're all used to shaving supply sites that have not only a menu option for aftershave lotions but also for balms. They also should get into novelty items for the holidays like all men's toiletry producers used to offer decades ago.

Limited edition sets of Barbasol Brisk Musk and other options would be worth a purchase. With the current Barbasol20 20% off discount code,6 bottles for $16 is a decent buy. One could either look like a sport giving a bottle or two to friends, or considering it has a nice menthol kick and a decent old time scent, it could be used for various blends.

Received and tried my 1919 last night. Had a full 2 days growth and it took a few minutes to get the first pass applied. Man is this stuff slick. I got a little carried away with my Tech and got the rare light weeper. I'm thinking I got the appropriate amount on for that first pass as my second pass was a bit harder to wash off the blade. I'm actually thinking I could have just re-wet my face and not even needed to add any more creme, it is that slick. The hardest part about this product for me, is seeing where I have shaved, since everything else I use is so glaringly white and this stuff is almost clear once applied. Or maybe I got it on incorrectly. I'll keep playing with it. but it is a good product.

Today I ended up getting my replacement barbasol in the mall from the last package that got sent to me crushed some nice people at barbasol hope they see traditional wet shaving is making a come back wished they had made a aftershave balm of this love the smell of the shave cream
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Today I ended up getting my replacement barbasol in the mall from the last package that got sent to me crushed some nice people at barbasol hope they see traditional wet shaving is making a come back wished they had made a aftershave balm of this love the smell of the shave cream
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Very cool!

Top Bottom