What's new

Simpson Trafalgar T2 ..... first shave.

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

All we are missing is a Goldilocks brush......

View attachment 1144512
View attachment 1144513
All we are missing is a Goldilocks brush......

The loft on the T1 looks off to me too (looks too tall), but not sure if it's just the the camera angle playing tricks.

For comparison, here are my three. I do think the small handle on the T1 makes the knot look bigger than it is. The knot in my T1 and T2 are very close in size, with the T1 being just slightly smaller, but in the picture, the T1 looks to be bigger.

proxy.php

I asked this question in another thread when these brushes first came out, has anyone been successful in transplanting the T3 knot into another handle yet?

Well. Anyone looking for a T1 (never used) that has a loft of about 50-52mm?
Simpson advised me a replacement was between me and the vendor. For reasons of my own (which I don’t want to get into here), I truly do not wish to drag the vendor into this issue. Hence...I have a brand new Simpson Trafalgar T1
with a somewhat taller loft than the norm which I would probably keep if I did not own a T2.
Alas........

Well. Anyone looking for a T1 (never used) that has a loft of about 50-52mm?
Simpson advised me a replacement was between me and the vendor. For reasons of my own (which I don’t want to get into here), I truly do not wish to drag the vendor into this issue. Hence...I have a brand new Simpson Trafalgar T1
with a somewhat taller loft than the norm which I would probably keep if I did not own a T2.
Alas........

I gotta say it gives the appearance that Simpson just washed their hands of the issue. I would have thought they would step up and make it right because it reflects on them and their QC.

Maybe you have a collector's item like a reversed postage stamp?

Good Evening Gentlemen ..... I just finished my first shave with my brand new Simpson
Trafalgar T2 brush, and, to be honest, I had no pre-conceived opinion. I've read many
different opinions about this brush, but convinced myself to remain open and objective.
So, ..... here's the deal. Pretty freaking impressive ! Face lathered with Barrister & Mann
Seville, the brush delivered the perfect blend of softness in the tips, lovely backbone, easy
maintaining enough luxurious lather for three smooth passes, and a pretty perfect handle
balanced comfort feel. Yes, it is a small brush, but thanks to the engineers at Simpsons,
it is pretty darn perfect. A sublime combination of balance, face feel, lather competence,
smooth facial stroke harmony, and all around happiness. Thank You Simpson Trafalgar !!!!!

Edit: I used the T3 today - originally posted it was the T2

I used the T3 today and had the same experience that you did. It is very soft, has good backbone and the handle is nicely weighted. I had plenty of lather for three passes.

I had a little difficulty getting it to splay, but I haven't used synthetics much and it could be how I'm doing it.

I gotta say it gives the appearance that Simpson just washed their hands of the issue. I would have thought they would step up and make it right because it reflects on them and their QC.

Maybe you have a collector's item like a reversed postage stamp?

I thought the same thing, they clearly made that brush wrong. I'm guessing the handles weren't drilled to the right depth, but that's besides the point.

Who knows? The additional loft may actually serve to improve the brush’s performance in some ways. Perhaps the slightly taller loft will allow the brush to work better with creams and bowl lathering. 🤷‍♂️

Mystery solved...I think.
Although the Simpson website shows a shorter loft for this brush, Bullgoose Shaving seems to have just received some T1 inventory. Specs listed are exactly what this brush measures out at. I have found at least one other vendor who lists the T1 dimensions to also be with this knot loft. So, it appears the good folks on the Isle of Man
merely decided a slightly taller loft made for a better brush. OK.....

Mystery solved...I think.
Although the Simpson website shows a shorter loft for this brush, Bullgoose Shaving seems to have just received some T1 inventory. Specs listed are exactly what this brush measures out at. I have found at least one other vendor who lists the T1 dimensions to also be with this knot loft. So, it appears the good folks on the Isle of Man
merely decided a slightly taller loft made for a better brush. OK.....

I wonder why Simpson didn't tell you that it was a feature and not a QC issue to begin with....

As a child I attended Catholic school for many years. It is no secret the Catholic belief (especially decades ago) was a religion rife with ritual as well as complex views and interpretations of the aspects the Church held true to their core beliefs.
Complex indeed...especially to a child of grade school age. But not to worry, when any of the more arcane concepts of Church teaching was questioned, a solid answer was readily on hand..."It's a mystery my son." That ended that.

I've been using a T2 for the past few weeks on my current 3017 project, which is a bowl of discontinued iColoniali Mango Soap. Of the 5 brushes I've tried on this soap; 2 high-end badgers, a muhle synthetic and a plissoft, the Simpson has by far been the best brush on this soap at developing a creamy dense well hydrated lather. I'm a face latherer, and the T2 is the best synthetic I own.

Top Bottom