What's new

What are you listening to?

I was a huge folk and Dylan fan in the 60s, and stuck with Dylan through the mid-70s. My wife and I even took our 5 year old daughter to see the opening show of his 1976 Rolling Thunder tour in Florida. Unfortunately, Desire might be the last Dylan album I liked.
That must have been an interesting circus. I saw him tour his Jokerman album in the early 80s but don’t remember much. I recently saw the Netflix special on the Rolling Thunder tour. Loved his performance of Hurricane a lot.

That must have been an interesting circus. I saw him tour his Jokerman album in the early 80s but don’t remember much. I recently saw the Netflix special on the Rolling Thunder tour. Loved his performance of Hurricane a lot.

I liked Hurricane, but unlike most great Dylan songs, that one is dated. I saw Dylan in 65 or 66 in Louisville, when he did folk for the first half and came back after intermission with The Band. The problem back then was The Band drowned out Dylan's vocals. Our most memorable moments of Rolling Thunder was Kinky Friedman, because it took months to get our 5yo to stop singing "A**hole from El Paso" around the house. I also remember Roger McGuinn's Jolly Roger from Cardiff Rose, (I still have the LP), and Joan Baez more than I remember Dylan's contribution to Rolling Thunder.

Reactions: CCR

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
An C18 Irish Jacobite song about the dashing young Stuart prince borne o'er the sea from France. Some of the singers are singing the song in Irish, & some in Scots' Gaelic, where the song is also known.

An C18 Irish Jacobite song about the dashing young Stuart prince borne o'er the sea from France. Some of the singers are singing the song in Irish, & some in Scots' Gaelic, where the song is also known.

While I prefer Irish punk, I liked that song. I admit to being a bit lacking in trad Irish CDs. My favorite Irish trad group is Dervish with Cathy Jordan, especially the Live in Palma CD. I also like Mary Black.

Reactions: CCR

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Mary Black is one of the singers in that video I posted, @njpaddy . I've always thought 'Song for Ireland' sounds like it was written by Bord Fáilte, the Irish Tourist Board.

Although Dick Gaughan does it justice.

I liked Hurricane, but unlike most great Dylan songs, that one is dated. I saw Dylan in 65 or 66 in Louisville, when he did folk for the first half and came back after intermission with The Band. The problem back then was The Band drowned out Dylan's vocals. Our most memorable moments of Rolling Thunder was Kinky Friedman, because it took months to get our 5yo to stop singing "A**hole from El Paso" around the house. I also remember Roger McGuinn's Jolly Roger from Cardiff Rose, (I still have the LP), and Joan Baez more than I remember Dylan's contribution to Rolling Thunder.

Love the Kinky Friedman story! But would have to disagree about Hurricane being dated. Switch out Rubin Carter for anyone who has been framed, locked up, shot in the back, had their neck kneeled on for 8 mins...you get the point. Unfortunately, it's a story that still reflects the times.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Backward, turn backward, O Time, in your flight, make me a child again just for tonight...
~ E.A. Allen

My childhood intro (1979) into the realm of contemporary jazz, which came by way of Bob James & Earl Klugh’s, I’ll Never See You Smile Again, was more akin to a revelation than an introduction...

Nearly a decade later, I would finally get to see Klugh live, as I sat mere feet away, in row-2, from him & George Benson (1988, Collaberation Tour)

Top Bottom