What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil.
- RSC Age Defence Traditional Shave Cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Baylis and Harding Black Pepper and Ginseng aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (2)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Second time using this blade and it impressed again. A nice sharp and smooth blade on shave two resulting in a close shave with no irritation or feedback from my Alum Block. One small weeper but due to technique as opposed to the blade. After two shaves, this blade has now crept ahead of the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow and GSB for me but I still have two shaves left with it, so I can't rule out it dropping off like the Treet Platinum did.

Gem Micromatic OC
Gem Personna blade
The Shaving Company Novelist
Post shave: styptic pencil, A&E shave serum, bacitracin
Rating: 1/10

This is the first shave with the Gem MMOC. I don't know if I had the blade upside, Gem on the bottom, or maybe the angle but that was the roughest shave ever. I got a good skim cut with blood everywhere. I haven't done that in years. I looked on online I saw ride the cap, 20 degrees angle....I tried it all. Is the handle supposed to be pointing at the floor? I had to finish with my used Lord Platinum DE and Rockwell 6s.

Aggressive doesn't describe this. Harsh is more like it. What did I do wrong?
Okay. As with any new razor or blade, the first shave can sometimes go wrong...but don’t give up. First off, is your GEM Personna blade a PTFE version? Second, and this is the most common is that these blades are really sharp...and thick. The first two shaves can be rough until the blade smoothes out. By the third shave it loses that rough aggression. Apply no pressure. Let the razor do all the work. I just finished my seventh shave with my GEM Personna and it is still nice and smooth and even.
Let your wounds heal and get back up on that horse. Do not show fear!

Okay. As with any new razor or blade, the first shave can sometimes go wrong...but don’t give up. First off, is your GEM Personna blade a PTFE version? Second, and this is the most common is that these blades are really sharp...and thick. The first two shaves can be rough until the blade smoothes out. By the third shave it loses that rough aggression. Apply no pressure. Let the razor do all the work. I just finished my seventh shave with my GEM Personna and it is still nice and smooth and even.
Let your wounds heal and get back up on that horse. Do not show fear!
It is a ptfe. So the cap rides the face?

I really thought I was using no pressure and thought about my PAA bakelite slant the whole time. I thought that was aggressive.

It is a ptfe. So the cap rides the face?

I really thought I was using no pressure and thought about my PAA bakelite slant the whole time. I thought that was aggressive.
Your natural muscle memory just has to adjust itself to this razors preferences. Sometimes it’s good to turn off your brain and let your arm think for itself.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Wed, July 29th 2020

Razor: Valet auto strop C1 Canadian variat- Mfg 1920's with modified gab, originally was .011 changed to .007 thousands of a inch, much smoother a shave with this great old relic.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9)- Great blade and my favorite because it can also be used in these great old razors.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- very nice strong citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers,26 mm synthetic- excellent brush with reasonable backbone and soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: great shave with my Valet Auto-strop C1 variant.

SE SOTD, Wed. july 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather FHS-10 SE (2)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Lather: Chiseled Face: Banana
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve: Cool

Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
BC11CD1D-42EE-45EC-907C-D595CF806CDE.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
I’ve Gone Bananas for my Valet!
Yes, this razor just turns my crank. I had my first ever shave with this razor a few days back, and have been thinking about it since. Today I meant to shave with one of my new razors, but this Valet just kept calling to me for a second shave. Somehow, it seems like it was designed just for me. It shaves as naturally as if I learned on it as a boy. Perfect smooth BBS with zero post shave irritation. Initially I was a bit nervous looking at this remnant from the industrial revolution, and the fact that I don’t really see a lot of love for it in the forums. I don’t mean anyone is slagging it or anything, but you just don’t see it in the threads like the GEM and Schick vintage razors. God knows...they are inexpensive and there are oceans of them available online, but they don’t seem to enjoy the actual hands on popularity of the others.
All I can say is...I love this razor, and this razor loves me! I’m feeling my face with my hand right now and thinking of what other razor has given me this perfect of a shave with no post shave discomfort at all. Just wonderful.
I was getting frustrated trying to install the blade in this Valet for its second shave until I figured out it will only fit with one certain side of the blade facing up. 😳

Thanks for listening...and stay safe.

P.S. I spoke too soon. While I was writing this Ron R was posting his Valet Autostrop shave right over my head. At least now I have someone I can talk to...and we’re both using different, but Canadian versions.

Last edited:
Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Feather FHS-10 SE (2)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Lather: Chiseled Face: Banana
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve: Cool

Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
View attachment 1132054
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
I’ve Gone Bananas for my Valet!
Yes, this razor just turns my crank. I had my first ever shave with this razor a few days back, and have been thinking about it since. Today I meant to shave with one of my new razors, but this Valet just kept calling to me for a second shave. Somehow, it seems like it was designed just for me. It shaves as naturally as if I learned on it as a boy. Perfect smooth BBS with zero post shave irritation. Initially I was a bit nervous looking at this remnant from the industrial revolution, and the fact that I don’t really see a lot of love for it in the forums. I don’t mean anyone is slagging it or anything, but you just don’t see it in the threads like the GEM and Schick vintage razors. God knows...they are inexpensive and there are oceans of them available online, but they don’t seem to enjoy the actual hands on popularity of the others.
All I can say is...I love this razor, and this razor loves me! I’m feeling my face with my hand right now and thinking of what other razor has given me this perfect of a shave with no post shave discomfort at all. Just wonderful.
I was getting frustrated trying to install the blade in this Valet for its second shave until I figured out it will only fit with one certain side of the blade facing up. 😳

Thanks for listening...and stay safe.

some vanilla wafers with that and your golden!!!!

camo

great shave with my Valet Auto-strop C1 variant.
I have to admit I’m enjoying the Feather blade in this razor, but I do have a C1 variant on order so I can experiment with GEM(Personna) blades. I may need your advice on reconfiguring and despining to adapt. I’ll wait til the GEM blade I’ve been using is all used up and experiment with it first.

Top Bottom