What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Wed 29 SOTD
Soap Ariana & Evans Summer Fig Sample 1st Use
Bowl Turkish Copper
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB
Blade Gillette Gillette 7oclock Super Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Another nice lather from A&A. Scent was very good fig like.....kinda refreshing. Thickness & creaminess was just okok. I just used a pea size. Slickness was just ok. Overall was good scent while the rest acceptable.
Shave with razor paired with blade was not so smooth especially going atg...however, no weepers & no irritation and the best thing is after 3+1 multiple passes, unexpected BBS result...wow!!
Must be the razor clamping hard on the blade keeping it rigid. Haven't had this close shave for past week.
Icy water rinse followed by chilly Thayers then Hyaluronic and finish off with AV Musk. Great shave session for closeness and post feel. 9.7/10 rating
20200728_233025.jpg

20200729_131213.jpg

Daily Shave: 29 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-29

DSCF2192.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave.
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #8) Shave #1 2 Passes: (WTG / ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and a Campbell’s soup container – the food storage container sprung a leak.
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 7.5 / 10.0 CAS My clumsiness, combined with too much pressure led to a less than desirable shave. Oh well, I will try to do better tomorrow.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: WSP Blackbeard
Brush: Febdrihan Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming 'X' Tenth Anniversary (Pineapple Bay Rum)

Very much enjoying the Parker Semi-Slant now...not timid or too careful with it now that I'm more familiar with it. I think it works best with my best blade in it, which right now is the Personna Red. Why can't I help myself when it comes to working my neck? Well...I think it paid off today as I've found a method that seems to have agreed with my irritated area. Agreed with as in avoided! Ha ha!

WSP Blackbeard (Cherry-Vanilla Tobacco) and Black Ship Grooming 'X' (Pineapple Bay Rum) is an odd combination, but after I shaved, I decided to go for it anyway. It's fine. I'm all "pirated out" today!

Happy Shaves. Everyone!

Kit 20200729.jpg

Last edited:
Gem Micromatic OC
Gem Personna blade
The Shaving Company Novelist
Post shave: styptic pencil, A&E shave serum, bacitracin
Rating: 1/10

This is the first shave with the Gem MMOC. I don't know if I had the blade upside, Gem on the bottom, or maybe the angle but that was the roughest shave ever. I got a good skim cut with blood everywhere. I haven't done that in years. I looked on online I saw ride the cap, 20 degrees angle....I tried it all. Is the handle supposed to be pointing at the floor? I had to finish with my used Lord Platinum DE and Rockwell 6s.

Aggressive doesn't describe this. Harsh is more like it. What did I do wrong?

Gem Micromatic OC
Gem Personna blade

This is the first shave with the Gem MMOC. I don't know if I had the blade upside, Gem on the bottom, or maybe the angle but that was the roughest shave ever. I got a good skim cut with blood everywhere. I haven't done that in years. I looked on online I saw ride the cap, 20 degrees angle....I tried it all. Is the handle supposed to be pointing at the floor? I had to finish with my used Lord Platinum DE and Rockwell 6s.

Oh no. I have a new-to-me MM OC that I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the words of warning. I have used 3 other GEMs with great results (G Bar, MM Bullet Tip Guiding Eye, and 1912). Have you had good results with other GEMs?

Gem Micromatic OC
Gem Personna blade

I can speak with great confidence on this exact issue. I have been using this rqOr for about the last 5 or 6 shaves. It is a razor that can have no pressure and the angle is the cap flat to your face. The other issue I think adds to this is the blade. It is very VERY sharp for the first shave or two. It calms down and along with you being careful it will yield nice shaves. I rarely get a shave i rate +9 and I did today with that same combo. A lot of times I will use a fresh coated blade in a bullet tip razor then finish the last couple shaves in my 1912. I didn't do that this time but I will next time I go back to SE stuff.

Stay with it. Pressure and angles. It gets better.

KM

I broke out a soap/splash/EDT that I haven't used in months, maybe precovid. This is my wife's favorite scent and has been kinda saved for occasions with her. But today I wanted something different. I saw that to say I broke into the +9 shave rating. Considering where I started with this thing I am happy to say it didn't beat me and I have now gotten an awesome shave with this monster.

I will change my approach next time I use it by not putting a new blade in it and using a bullet tip or 1912 first.

9.1/10

KM

IMG_20200729_062318.jpg

Pre-shave:- Pears Green
Bowl/Scuttle:- None

Brush:- Body Shop Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Cella Almond

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Shark

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Good shave, favorite razor, brush and cream and a pretty good blade

9/10