What's new

Getting serious about a Black Arkansas stone

Yeah, I don't recall any grit getting stuck inside after the lapping was finished... it just left the surface all messed up.

I have experienced the same a slice a few times. Not pores which some coarser stones have, but creating this across dense ark stones. I blame it on me the lapper. It only seems to be a problem for me on lower/coarser grits and in my mind I attribute to: (a)little too much pressure on the SIC, (b) maybe not lifting the stone enough, and/or too repetitive of movement while lapping. When it happens your only option is to lap it out. Normally a finer grit and more time can do it. Also W/D or diamond plate. But is is not at all pores or bubbles etc in this case. It is man made for sure.

We all have seen pores and cavities, but somewhere around here I have a stone that looks a lot like a nice woodworkers delight but it has this weird “vein” like a blood vein through the stone at an angle. I can put a small wire through it to the other side. It is really weird

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I got a couple of stone from Dans, and they are great to deal with it. I have 3 primitive stones one in surgical black and 2 translucents and their huge. They are amazing. With the money I saved I got myself a soft and a hard. I actually have a "Washita" arriving today which I had them get a very unique one. The production manager hand picked it and it suppose to have alot purple and pink. Talk to Mary or Kim they are wonderful to deal with and be patient. Goodluck!
Did you contact Dan's by phone or by email. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a few new stones myself, but not quite sure which ones just yet.
Thanks, Doug.

If I were in the market for a new SB or trans ark, first thing I'd do is call dans about a primitive, at least to have an idea of where they're at price-wise. From what I've seen posted, they're priced very competitively.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
If I were in the market for a new SB or trans ark, first thing I'd do is call dans about a primitive, at least to have an idea of where they're at price-wise. From what I've seen posted, they're priced very competitively.
I have a 6 x 2 Surgical Black from Best about a year ago, that I just started to get some nice edges from. I'm good right now with finishing stones, looking for a few steps down in the progression and a bit larger. What is a primitive? That is a new term to me.

Dan's are the only mine I'm aware of that offers them, but it means they only shape it on the working face... so basically it's a chunk of rock that they flatten and lap on one face. You either need to hand-hone or work out a stand of some sort so that it will sit flat. Saves them a ton of time and effort since they don't have to cut and grind away on 5 of the six sides, so it winds up being a lot cheaper.

There is one guy who does a full progression on arks for razors, but most people prefer a synthetic hone progression.

I have called them and emailed them. Tell them to put you on the list if they dont have what you are looking for. I just gave them my card and told them to just send what I asked for when they had it. I like Prim cuts but to each is own. I have all the tools to make it look "nice" which I have done with other stones but it really doesnt bother me even if I leave them as is. Arks arent to expensive when you compare to other naturals.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
There is one guy who does a full progression on arks for razors, but most people prefer a synthetic hone progression.
I have a norton 4k/8k that does a good job, but it needs constant dressing, and my 800 chosera leaves deep striations that take a lot of time to polish out. I just finished convexing my coticule for bevel setting and want something between that and my surgical black.
I have called them and emailed them. Tell them to put you on the list if they dont have what you are looking for. I just gave them my card and told them to just send what I asked for when they had it. I like Prim cuts but to each is own. I have all the tools to make it look "nice" which I have done with other stones but it really doesnt bother me even if I leave them as is. Arks arent to expensive when you compare to other naturals.
I like the idea of having two sides of the stone to work with, and the price on fine arks is very reasonable. I see Dan's has an 8 x 3 x 1 for $120, and an 8 x 2 x 3/4 for $70.
Just not sure if I need the extra inch in width...............
BOSC Motto.jpg

I think you will find that the coticule is faster and finer than a regular hard Ark. Unless you just want to do an Ark progression you will probably be disappointed.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think you will find that the coticule is faster and finer than a regular hard Ark. Unless you just want to do an Ark progression you will probably be disappointed.
My coticule is plenty fast, fine it is not. I could not shave off of it until I convexed it, and even then it was not comfortable at all. After about a thousand laps on my surgical black ark it was great.
I am looking at an 8 x 2 x 1/2 Hard Translucent Ark, and an 8 x 2 x 1/2 Hard Ark, and maybe an 8 x 2 x 1/2 Hard Black to replace my 6 x 2 x 1/2 Surgical Black.

There is about a $30 price difference between Dan's and Sharpening Supplies, I have heard that SS gets their stones from Dan's. I think I will email them and see if one of them can maybe give me a package deal on 3 stones.

I have a 6 x 2 Surgical Black from Best about a year ago, that I just started to get some nice edges from. I'm good right now with finishing stones, looking for a few steps down in the progression and a bit larger. What is a primitive? That is a new term to me.
I’m using a true hard with diamond slurry works great midrange to pre finish, not a lot of people doing it works well for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dan's responded to my email with some very good information on the differences between the arks, and is offering a 10% discount on orders over $50.
Food for thought.

You can purchase the Soft Arkansas stone and then go directly to the Black Arkansas and see the edge that you can achieve. If you feel like you need to add a step between then you can come back and add the Hard Arkansas stone. Or you can add the Black Arkansas after you purchase the first two stones if you want to achieve a sharper edge. If you do not want to start with the Soft Arkansas – You could go ahead and purchase the Hard Arkansas (fine) stone and see how this one works for you then you can upgrade to the Black Arkansas stone down the road. If the edges on the blades are not too far gone – then you could possibly go ahead and try the Black Arkansas stone on the edges to see if they will get as sharp as you want them to begin with. Please note – you also do not have to purchase both the Translucent, True Hard Arkansas and Black Arkansas stones – as either of these stones will help you to achieve a razor sharp edge on your blades. It will be up to your personal preference as to purchase either the Translucent, True Hard Arkansas or Black Arkansas stones.

With the 10% discount from Dan's, I can get a soft, hard, and translucent in 8 x 2 x 1/2 for $177. I already have a surgical black.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Sharpening Supplies.

i don’t love soft soft arks for bevel setting. I also found true hard, while shave-able does not provide as keen an edge as trans, or blue black

The pockmarking shouldn't be much of an issue as long as the stone is very dense and hard. It may be releasing particles and making a slurry if its not as hard as we need for honing razors. Just because its black Arkansas or translucent it doesn't mean the stone will not slurry. I know because I have been through this many times.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dan went to the quarry, and picked the rock to cut this stone from, true story.
Yes , it is from Dans.
I always promote Dan whenever I can because the impeccable service and what they did for me.
I just ordered a Translucent from Dan's and this is what Kim told me.

I have gone over and confirmed with my production manager that we should be able to come up with all these grades of stones for your order. We will select some nice stones for your order. The only grade that I was concerned about having for the order was the Translucent Arkansas stone. We have a large back order for other customers for this specific stone. But my production manager says that our cutting department is coming up with some of these stones and we should be able to get one finished for the order. We will also need to be working on the right equipment to finish these stones. We should be able to come up with the stones for this order possibly by the end of next week to the first of the following week.

Works for me. :pipe:

I just ordered a Translucent from Dan's and this is what Kim told me.

I have gone over and confirmed with my production manager that we should be able to come up with all these grades of stones for your order. We will select some nice stones for your order. The only grade that I was concerned about having for the order was the Translucent Arkansas stone. We have a large back order for other customers for this specific stone. But my production manager says that our cutting department is coming up with some of these stones and we should be able to get one finished for the order. We will also need to be working on the right equipment to finish these stones. We should be able to come up with the stones for this order possibly by the end of next week to the first of the following week.

Works for me. :pipe:
Tell us your order!

Top Bottom