What's new

Don't be caught OFF GUARD (some DE Razor terminology stuff)

Seem to be out of stock every place. Sorry. Off topic.
Temporary interruption on the production line due to some fellow called Covid causing pandemonium. Be patient and production will be resuming soon; air freight is also disrupted which is causing further delays.

Interesting proposal!

Currently, the three categories are clear in this old guy’s mind.

To me the OC and SB are very clear. No problems there.

I see potential for confusion on the third category. My guess is that it will get difficult to get most folks to agree on correct use of the ‘hybrid’ or intermediate CC category.

Interesting proposal!

Currently, the three categories are clear in this old guy’s mind.

To me the OC and SB are very clear. No problems there.

I see potential for confusion on the third category. My guess is that it will get difficult to get most folks to agree on correct use of the ‘hybrid’ or intermediate CC category.
Next we'll seek to define the difference between Alt-Country and Americana.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I always like it when technical terminology is simple and makes sense. Just because lots of people call something by the same name doesn't mean it's good or correct, usually it's just what someone told them it was called... so regardless of whether it makes sense or not, that's what they call it.

A recent terminology addition... THE CLOSED COMB
At first I didn't like it one bit, but now I'm coming round to thinking it's a good un'.

So I propose that we now have THREE basic guard types on our razors' baseplates (left to right as below):
View attachment 1104754
OC = Open Comb, CC = Closed Comb, SB = Straight/Solid/Safety Bar

OC
Like in a standard hair comb, the teeth are usually long and deep set. Waste whiskers and lather runs out between the teeth. Example shown is a Fatip Open Comb Slant.

CC
The teeth on a Closed Comb are set directly onto, and are part of, the Safety Bar. There normally is/are drainage hole/holes between the Safety Bar and the rest of the baseplate. Example shown is a Mühle R41.

SB
The standard Safety Bar is straight and usually has drainage holes behind it. It may have minor serrations (e.g. Gillette Tech). Some razors have quite large serrations on the Safety Bar, so depending on their depth they could be considered an SB/CC hybrid. Example of SB guarded razor is a RazoRock Game Changer.

THREE PIECE RAZOR (+ blade)

View attachment 1104781

Generically speaking "caps" go on top. I hate the expression "top cap." And anyway, have you got your "foot shoes" on now?

I always find it reassuring when a label is easily understood by all. That said, I do understand that everyone is free to call anything what they want to call it. Vive la différence!

What do YOU think? :001_unsur

What many call a safety bar, I've known as a closed comb, throughout my entire life. This comes from hearing the term as a small kid. My Grandfather who died when I was young, used three piece and butterfly openers (not "twist to open", that happens with three piece too as far as I'm concerned, just different amounts), and he referred to them as open comb and closed comb. That was back in the 70's. So I'll be calling safety bar razors, closed comb razors, and TTO razors, buttefly openers. :)

What many call a safety bar, I've known as a closed comb, throughout my entire life. This comes from hearing the term as a small kid. My Grandfather who died when I was young, used three piece and butterfly openers (not "twist to open", that happens with three piece too as far as I'm concerned, just different amounts), and he referred to them as open comb and closed comb. That was back in the 70's. So I'll be calling safety bar razors, closed comb razors, and TTO razors, buttefly openers. :)

Rebel

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If someone says Safety Bar, do we honestly not know what they mean?

Same with Closed Comb - which is still some form of Safety Bar?

And is there anyone who doesn't recognize an Open Comb razor?

Seems to me that we are looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. Even if we use the Mühle R41 as an example, anyone can look at it and see that it is not a true Open Comb.

Isn't the ultimate question: How does a particular razor shave?

Just my rambling opinion.

If someone says Safety Bar, do we honestly not know what they mean?

Same with Closed Comb - which is still some form of Safety Bar?

And is there anyone who doesn't recognize an Open Comb razor?

Seems to me that we are looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. Even if we use the Mühle R41 as an example, anyone can look at it and see that it is not a true Open Comb.

Isn't the ultimate question: How does a particular razor shave?

Just my rambling opinion.

I'd be content if we just got Muhle to change their marketing as they are the source of the bulk of the confusion out there.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

That's not going to work any more than expecting me to use Americanised spellings, or call trousers, pants

walter.jpg

I move the tip of my index finger along the base plate, at its widest edge.

1) If I feel a continuous or undulating line, then it's safety bar.
2) If I feel distinct teeth, then it's comb. Not close, not open, just comb.

Now that this dilemma has been solved, a moderator can close the thread.:innocent:

OC; Like in a standard hair comb
Another thought occurred to me; all combs are by their nature are "open" hence is the term open comb a misnomer? It could be described as a combed base plate to distinguish it from a standard base plate. Now I see why the term closed comb became popular; it was to clarify a combed plate razor that had a solid bar added. :popc:
Most of the time the R41 is described as an open comb which it most clearly is not. It's also not a straight bar.
It is hogwash put around by Muhle. I cannot accept it as an open comb. It may have ++ve blade exposure but there must be other safety bar razors with ++ve blade exposure.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another thought occurred to me; all combs are by their nature are "open" hence is the term open comb a misnomer?

Not all combs are open in that way. Honeycomb, a cockrel's fleshy mohawk, a valley without river (sometimes spelled with an "e" at the end), a cheek rest on a firearm... there's probably more.

Most closed combs still have some kind of crest and valleys don't they? From the fine grooves on the Tech, to the waves on the Jagger and Muhle heads. I'm not that knowledgeable about different razors, but I don't think there's many with a smooth rail. The only one that springs to mind, is the plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic which is ridged around it, rather than along it.

Top Bottom