What's new

Nickel plated brass vs stainless

@Vanille, absolutely! Chris at razorplate.com is handling it for me. Fwiw, I'm getting the top cap and plate in rhodium, and the handle in black rhodium (more of a charcoal than black).

All true and well said. But if we're celebrating the durability of vintage brass razors, I think we have to acknowledge all those Old Types with bent teeth. That happens because brass is a soft metal and razors are dropped, knocked into sinks, and otherwise collide with hard objects. The other side of the brass coin is that bent brass teeth that aren't too badly bent can be straightened, and so many of those over 90-year old razors are still perfectly usable with a little tlc. Of course, steel is harder to work with, and titanium much harder.

Good point. I agree brass is much softer and therefore more vulnerable to damage from a drop type situation. Even a brass razor without the teeth might be more susceptible? If a karve were dropped onto a tile or other hard surface it might be more vulnerable to some type of bending or distorting than a similar stainless razor.

Titanium will last longer than either brass or stainless steel;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah a stainless razor will only last approximately 500 years whereas a titanium razor would be good for 1000 years (give or take 100). 😉

R

romsitsa

Yeah a stainless razor will only last approximately 500 years whereas a titanium razor would be good for 1000 years (give or take 100). 😉

I have a ring, forged aprox. 3000 years ago, still useable.

Adam

It's really all about personal preference.

A couple of things that haven't yet been mentioned: 1) Brass is heavier than stainless steel, and 2) un-plated brass takes on a dark patina over time.

Well used brass next to new , all Karve.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_200236730.jpg
    IMG_20200103_200236730.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
@GeronimoWSB, yeah I know. I had misgivings about giving up my beautiful patina on the brass Karve and getting it plated. Still do. Massive respect, and envy, to everyone who keeps their brass patina ongoing.

Just thinking to replate my old (unknown) razor.

Its full brass, and i quess its plated with basic nickel.

The questions are, is cleaning and replating with nickel, without removing old nickel off, possible?

How about some double coatings, they good ones?

If old nickel most be taken off, what would be most durable coating? This razor is adjustable by simply tightening from handle (like old ones).
IMG_20200525_105049.jpg

I have plenty of brass, stainless, aluminum, bronze, Bakelite and some zamack. I love them all but stick with brass threads on zamacks and all is good. I’m not put off by the weight of stainless. If you think CNC is a little heavy, my Fendrihan Mark II is injection molded and a bit lighter than my others that are CNC. Extremely efficient but some people are put off by the pebbled, molded baseplate. Doesn’t bother me and the cap and handle have a mirror like (Not Wolfman) finish.

Keep the stainless ones dry and they are all fine. Actually take 30 seconds to rinse and pat dry all your razors, no matter the material, makes life a lot easier. Never had any tea stains because I’ve always done that. Some also shop for the best grade of stainless for strength and corrosion resistance, probably a lot to that and if you leave you razor on the sink or in the shower wet after shaving, that is important but all of mine, no matter the grade are as good as new because they are dry after I use them.

R

romsitsa

The questions are, is cleaning and replating with nickel, without removing old nickel off, possible?

How about some double coatings, they good ones?

There are different techniques for nickel plating, some require complete stripping, others don't. Nickel over nickel usually works, but it can look patchy if the original coating and base metal are not evenly polished.

Adam

Rhodium is thin, it will wear down in a few years.

Adam

Do you think nickel is better as a plate for wear on a razor? I’ve been thinking about platinum because of current prices for one of my razors but wasn’t sure about wear because it is softer than rhodium, which I thought was bulletproof for razor use.

R

romsitsa

Do you think nickel is better as a plate for wear on a razor? I’ve been thinking about platinum because of current prices for one of my razors but wasn’t sure about wear because it is softer than rhodium, which I thought was bulletproof for razor use.

Plate wear depends on many variables, like usage, cleaning habits and thickness of the plating. Contemporary rhodium/gold/silver is (as far as I know) is thin and applied over nickel, just like chrome, so they will wear down faster than a thicker plate of nickel.

Adam

I’ll take precision-machined stainless over anything plated, any day of the week. I don’t care about shiny razors, just precisely made/durable ones. For me it’s a tool, not jewelry.

Nickel plated brass is pretty sexy though, I’ll give it that!

Top Bottom