What's new

Recommend an aggressive razor

Looking at getting an aggressive razor. Something modern and easy to find on the market. My current shave den-
EJ DE89 Merkur34C Parker Variant,
Something that will give me BBS after 2-3 passes with no irritation. Current den is not aggressive enough for me.

Blackbird or Timeless 0.78 Bronze
If you want something really aggressive go for iKon Tech
I have all of them and they all will provide you with a BBS shave but iKon is a bit harsh
I like the Blackbird most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all of the above. Muhle R41, Blackland Blackbird. You might also go with Razorock Jaws. I have a Timeless .95OC that is smooth but highly efficient.

iKon Standard: I find it more efficient than R41, but with the better blade support I don't sense the same harshness.

When doing a side by side with the iKon Tech, the iKon Standard was smoother, but did not take a hit in efficiency compared to the Tech. I still like the Tech when I feel like wrestling with a beast, but prefer the results of the the iKon Standard.

I did not like the R41. I appreciate blade flex on milder razors, thinking it improves efficiency, but if the razor has more than a little exposure, flex gets out of hand real fast for me (I think it is a coarse hair thing - both the significant improvement in effieciency and having the flex ge out of hand fast).

The Merkur Futur or Progress can both be adjusted to be very quite aggressive. The Futur is the most aggressive razor I’ve used.

The Merkur Futur or Progress can both be adjusted to be very quite aggressive. The Futur is the most aggressive razor I’ve used.
You can squeeze the head on the Futur (and clones) against the spring to adjust past the normal high end adjustment stop. This gives monstrous gap, but aggression that is still short of some of what is listed above.

I love the Futur clones in that for less than $10, you can get a measurement stick to see what you like in terms of aggression in a quantifiable manner over a huge range. I liked a "2" the second time around (I think an 8 in reality), but found I preferred this equivalent with a little more exposure and less gap, and maybe even some blade flex in place of exposure. It was still really useful to know how aggressive I liked, and what gave me a similar amount of feel and efficiency. I may have to pick the Futur clone back up soon to retest this.

Blackbird or Timeless 0.78 Bronze
If you want something really aggressive go for iKon Tech
I have all of them and they all will provide you with a BBS shave but iKon is a bit harsh
I like the Blackbird most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good suggestions.

Muhle R41
Mühle R41 can also be found as Mühle R101 or R102. Same head but different handle (white and black resin).
My suggestion would be the Parker 97R. Just as aggressive as the Mühle, but a more intuitive shaver that you would pick up on as easily as your EJ or Merkur. Very efficient shave without the exacting angles and proclivities of the Mühle.

The Fatip {Piccolo or Grande} should be in contention here. Having said that, you have only had the Parker Variant since 20th March, have you got it dialled in yet? With a Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP you will get BBS in three passes assuming good technique. It is the blade that does the cutting but you got to present it at the corrrect angle; the Wiki on this is still down unfortunately.

iKon Standard: I find it more efficient than R41, but with the better blade support I don't sense the same harshness.

When doing a side by side with the iKon Tech, the iKon Standard was smoother, but did not take a hit in efficiency compared to the Tech. I still like the Tech when I feel like wrestling with a beast, but prefer the results of the the iKon Standard.

I did not like the R41. I appreciate blade flex on milder razors, thinking it improves efficiency, but if the razor has more than a little exposure, flex gets out of hand real fast for me (I think it is a coarse hair thing - both the significant improvement in effieciency and having the flex ge out of hand fast).
Try your iKon Tek with a wide (≥20mm) shim between the baseplate and the blade (to stiffen the blade up) Elvis. :wink2:
iKonTech-profile+1shim_2017-05-18.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom