What's new

Who uses an Old Spice Shaving Mug?

As posted on a separate thread, I love the Old Spice mugs. One has some VDH, another MWF pressed into it and the others rotate for lathering/brush soaking. The Hull Pottery just holds razors in the rotation. I need to find some NOS OS soap--the Hull Pottery mug had a dry and shriveled up puck that I couldn't resurrect and had no scent left. But that will have to wait until the restricted movement order is lifted.

Attachments

• mugs.jpg
    mugs.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'll post a pic of mine. I've got my late father's American Glass one from the 1970's with a puck of Williams in it, and a while back I picked up three of the earlier, slightly taller American Glass ones off eBay. One of them I've currently got a puck of Col Conk Lime in, one is put up in a drawer, and one empty one is in regular use as my lather making workhorse.

Like everyone else on here, I love the classic Old Spice mugs. I'm sure this link has been posted before but in case not here's a great resource for helping date your classic OS mugs...

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Must have for my Den.. I do not bowl lather but use mine to soak my badger brushes pre-shave..

View attachment 1084541
I do not think that most people bowl lather using an Old Spice mug, i.e. they do not build the lather in the mug itself; I certainly do not. My Old Spice mugs merely hold my soap pucks, I load the brush in a mug and then face lather. I think that is how they were traditionally used. If I were to bowl lather, I would still load my brush from the Old Spice mug but then use a separate bowl to build the lather. You can do a lot more with your mug than soak your brush. 👍

I do not think that most people bowl lather using an Old Spice mug, i.e. they do not build the lather in the mug itself; I certainly do not. My Old Spice mugs merely hold my soap pucks, I load the brush in a mug and then face lather. I think that is how they were traditionally used. If I were to bowl lather, I would still load my brush from the Old Spice mug but then use a separate bowl to build the lather. You can do a lot more with your mug than soak your brush. 👍

Lathering in a mug is certainly not in style these days, despite the best efforts of @FarmerTan to resurrect it.

In the bad old days (early 1970s to the early 1990s) I and the rapidly shrinking band of cheapskate ‘traditional’ build-your-own-lather shavers tossed a fresh puck of Williams in a coffee mug, stored our cheap boars in the mug sitting on the puck, and made the lather in the mug and on our faces.

Maybe the plutocrats who bought Old Spice soap bowl-lathered with lucite-handled Ever-Ready brushes with badger knots, but not us hoi-polloi! (Special vocabulary word for FarmerTan when he reads this.)

I lost my mug lather mojo when my lovely new bride gave me a Plisson badger and a pewter mug/bowl. So I just store soap in my mugs, protected by these covers I made a couple days ago. Yeah, I’m a plutocrat now.
5F386808-5876-49F9-9C8E-4BE2CCF51287.jpeg

4601CADE-C41E-4756-B2B0-EC59D9F79B6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Great Point.. There are some really cool shaving bowls on the market that can help create a better lather..

I have nine of them. One of them has new old stock Old Spice soap in it. Wonderful for small brushes. Mostly 22 mm and smaller. Fine Accoutrements soaps are a perfect fit. Collecting Old Spice mugs is an addiction.

proxy.php

I’ve got three, a pre-war one (see photo) that always holds a puck of Mitchell’s Woolfat plus a couple of 1950’s vintage for other soaps I might be trying.

Not as big as modern mugs but keep down the waste as it gods just enough lather for a 3 pass shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pretty sure that one is actually a coffee mug.

Great Point.. There are some really cool shaving bowls on the market that can help create a better lather..
I am a bowl latherer but prefer a short, wide bowl so that the brush doesn't clank against the sides (hate that sound in the am). Does anybody know what the widest, shallowest bowl was and what were the dimensions?

Top Bottom