What's new

Who uses an Old Spice Shaving Mug?

I'm not understanding why this wastes product. When I lather a puck in a mug. When I'm done shaving I squeeze the soap out of the brush back into the mug and I don't rinse the mug. The lather that doesn't get used in today's shave gets used the next shave and so on. Whereas if I load from the mug and then go to another bowl to lather, I usually do toss all the extra lather when I "do the dishes".
I never thought of doing that.

Huh.....

I learn something new every day!

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Saw pictures here and decided that I need an OS mug to transfer some soap into, since I don’t want to load my brush out of a 200g jar of soap. (Am I being stupid here?)

Few hours trawling through the “bay” later, found one that will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I understand these are sort of collectible, mine bears the inscription “Made in Belgium” on the underside. If that means anything interesting or significant as to the provenance of the mug, please let me know - be interesting to learn more.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered one on the Bay this morning to replace the Coke glass I've always soaked my brush in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I ordered one on the Bay this morning to replace the Coke glass I've always soaked my brush in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Post a picture when you receive it!

Mine came in today:
6BF28D7D-842B-4C2D-81CC-DF73EB6994D5.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Saw pictures here and decided that I need an OS mug to transfer some soap into, since I don’t want to load my brush out of a 200g jar of soap. (Am I being stupid here?)

Few hours trawling through the “bay” later, found one that will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I understand these are sort of collectible, mine bears the inscription “Made in Belgium” on the underside. If that means anything interesting or significant as to the provenance of the mug, please let me know - be interesting to learn more.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can find all the information you want on your mug and a lot more besides here: Old Spice Collectibles - http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Mugs/England.html

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
How deep is that mug if I may ask?

I need to know if it will fit in my shave den!
Didn’t have a ruler or tape measure handy, so I used a hopefully universal alternative!

It was approximately one credit card’s length (c.3.4 in) in diameter and 2/3rds that (c.2.3in) in depth. Refer to my crude method of estimating its dimensions in the attached photos.

Attachments

• 6AEBC185-DB62-4833-BCE7-88FA0B91DF66.jpeg
    6AEBC185-DB62-4833-BCE7-88FA0B91DF66.jpeg
    928.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2ADE50AC-707B-4B32-BED6-34AB3C41C2D6.jpeg
    2ADE50AC-707B-4B32-BED6-34AB3C41C2D6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Didn’t have a ruler or tape measure handy, so I used a hopefully universal alternative!

It was approximately one credit card’s length (c.3.4 in) in diameter and 2/3rds that (c.2.3in) in depth. Refer to my crude method of estimating its dimensions in the attached photos.
Might just fit-it will be close.

Thanks

Yes and often left the brush sitting in the mug until the next day. That is how my Grampa did it, he used one mug, one soap and one brush.

I’m not your grampa, but that’s how I did it until I got married. My wife promptly gave me a nice badger brush and a special purpose pewter mug (hint, hint). I threw away my coffee cup and my severely warped 20 year old boar and reformed immediately.

Essentially, all my Acquisition Disorders are her fault.

For what it is worth Fine Accoutrements soaps are a perfect fit and are exceptional soaps. There are others too. For example the soap sold by The Vermont Country Store in the lime/musk scent looks like it was made using the old spice original soap mold. It lathers nice but I'm not find of the scent. Any veggie soap such as Col Conk ore AOS can be melted in the mug in the microwave where it liquefies and dries into a perfect fit. Nuke them for about 20 to 30 seconds.

You guys are enablers. I don't really need another vessel for soap. But I've just purchased what appears to be an American "Late Glass Mug 04". From Alaska! Now the wait begins...

Meanwhile: what traditional soap pucks are an exact fit? Something like Williams maybe?

UPD: Yep, I've seen @Big Jim 's message above. My particular mug is said to be the smallest one "This mug held the smallest sized cake of shaving soap at 3.0 ounces." Fine soap refills are 3.5 oz.

You guys are enablers. I don't really need another vessel for soap. But I've just purchased what appears to be an American "Late Glass Mug 04". From Alaska! Now the wait begins...

Meanwhile: what traditional soap pucks are an exact fit? Something like Williams maybe?

UPD: Yep, I've seen @Big Jim 's message above. My particular mug is said to be the smallest one "This mug held the smallest sized cake of shaving soap at 3.0 ounces." Fine soap refills are 3.5 oz.

The best late glass mug (IMHO). You get two ships for the price of one, the Grand Turk and the Recovery. Plenty of room for 3.5 oz inside.

The diameter is what matters, at least more so than the quantity. Fine soaps are a perfect fit. Over the years the Old Spice pucks shrunk.

Williams is a very sloppy fit, way too small. If you shred it up and mash it into the cup you can fit two of them into an Old Spice mug but I wouldn't bother since it is such inferior soap, at least in my opinion. I used to use old Williams and it was fine, but the new stuff is really inferior. Some like it, but not me.

The diameter is what matters, at least more so than the quantity. Fine soaps are a perfect fit. Over the years the Old Spice pucks shrunk.

Williams is a very sloppy fit, way too small. If you shred it up and mash it into the cup you can fit two of them into an Old Spice mug but I wouldn't bother since it is such inferior soap, at least in my opinion. I used to use old Williams and it was fine, but the new stuff is really inferior. Some like it, but not me.

I use Mitchell’s Woolfat. Diameter slightly too large for an Old Spice mug but after a quick run around with an old penknife it’s nice and snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My dad received a "Grand Turk" mug as part of a gift set. A Rapid Shave guy, he never used it, so I experimented with it and a cheap brush back in the 'sixties as I began shaving. Not knowing what I was doing, I abandoned it for the canned stuff for a lot of years. Don't know whatever happened to it, but I sure wish I still had it.

Definitely gotta' hit the antique shoppes and the Bay, find me another.

Top Bottom