What's new

Arko Saved My Life and How I Learned to Face Lather

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I will admit that I am dependant on my bowl. I love it. It is a hammered copper bowl and I can whip up a beautiful lather from anything in it. I love the process and the results. So I have always been a little mystified by you face lathering folks out there. Read about and tried it. Nope. Was not for me. But then along came Arko. Great in my bowl, but I'll give it a rub around my face and see what happens. And that is when it makes sense. All you face latherers suddenly don't seem crazy. The Arko whips up nicely on my mug and I wound up with a great shave. Will I be giving up my bowl anytime soon? No. But it was nice to have success where previously I had been clueless. Cheers!

There's nothing like taking a thin film rubbed on your face from a shave stick and working it into several passes of lather in less than a minute flat. I broke my shave bowl by accident several months ago and have not been looking to replace it. Other sticks that rock are Tabac, La Toja, Palmolive and Speick. Love shave sticks. Welcome to the fold!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Did someone mention my name? My ears were ringing.

As I have said before: all y'all's NEED is Arko; everything else is superfluous!

Don't you guys get impressed when I use a $5 werd and I'm not even sure if I know the definition?

Yep, face lathering is great - it softens up my beard in a way that spreading bowl lather just doesn't. If you aren't already doing this, try mixing up strokes. The circular rotation that most people do is great, but also mix in painting strokes, side to side, up & down. The circular motion brings up peaks of lather, but the linear strokes thicken the coat and spread it consistently. I typically build lather with a circular motion and then do painting strokes to thicken the coat and get it where I want it and finally do ATG painting strokes which seems to help increase cushion - particularly in challenging places like under the chin and the valley of the throat.

Did someone mention my name? My ears were ringing.

As I have said before: all y'all's NEED is Arko; everything else is superfluous!

Don't you guys get impressed when I use a $5 werd and I'm not even sure if I know the definition?

So, the MdC is just a rumor?? :taz::taz:

And I am indeed impressed with your vocabulary!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, the MdC is just a rumor?? :taz::taz:

And I am indeed impressed with your vocabulary!
That is high praise my friend.

Just don't ask me to pronounce it!

They say Harry Truman had a huge vocabulary, but terrible pronunciation! He read every book in his town's library before he was potty trained, lol, or close to it, and always used a dictionary.

He was just like me: surrounded by stoopid people in his circle of friends at a young age, so they couldn't correct his pronunciation!

I blame my mom and dad for me not being an only child! I coulda been an Einstein!

Shave stick is the ONLY way to travel

proxy.php

Yep, face lathering is great - it softens up my beard in a way that spreading bowl lather just doesn't. If you aren't already doing this, try mixing up strokes. The circular rotation that most people do is great, but also mix in painting strokes, side to side, up & down. The circular motion brings up peaks of lather, but the linear strokes thicken the coat and spread it consistently. I typically build lather with a circular motion and then do painting strokes to thicken the coat and get it where I want it and finally do ATG painting strokes which seems to help increase cushion - particularly in challenging places like under the chin and the valley of the throat.

I bowl/scuttle lather but I do the same when applying to my face.

Top Bottom