What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

I'm really loving the Tudor Black Bay GMT this week
IMG_20200313_203829.jpg

My weekend watch. Ever since I was a youngster, I always dreamed of owning a Rolex day date. Once I had the finances to easily afford one, I never could get my head around s actually spending the $, and for years just looked at them with list. I also couldn’t get over just how “out there and loud” the yellow gold DD40 was, as while I like nice things, I don’t like attention.

I stumbled into my Rolex dealer and saw this day date, and the almost silver like sundust dial and everose gold really softened the “loudness” of the standard YGDD, but wasn’t TOO subtle like the white gold version. While I knew it would never be an appropriate office piece, I took a few photos of it on my wrist, and a couple snaps of me wearing it in front of a full length mirror. I looked at the pictures probably every day at least a few months before I pieced together the courage to go back and see if they still had it, and get my head around the price. They had it, I’d worn my more rational side down and bought it a little over a year ago. It’s been my weekend watch (at least one day) ever since - and can’t say I’ve regretted the purchase. I still remember the feeling of spotting one in the wild while I was in middle school, high school, and college - thinking “one day me” every time I buckle it on 😁
7F57FCDB-CC82-4B68-85AA-EF9CE3E51090.jpeg

My weekend watch. Ever since I was a youngster, I always dreamed of owning a Rolex day date. Once I had the finances to easily afford one, I never could get my head around s actually spending the $, and for years just looked at them with list. I also couldn’t get over just how “out there and loud” the yellow gold DD40 was, as while I like nice things, I don’t like attention.

I stumbled into my Rolex dealer and saw this day date, and the almost silver like sundust dial and everose gold really softened the “loudness” of the standard YGDD, but wasn’t TOO subtle like the white gold version. While I knew it would never be an appropriate office piece, I took a few photos of it on my wrist, and a couple snaps of me wearing it in front of a full length mirror. I looked at the pictures probably every day at least a few months before I pieced together the courage to go back and see if they still had it, and get my head around the price. They had it, I’d worn my more rational side down and bought it a little over a year ago. It’s been my weekend watch (at least one day) ever since - and can’t say I’ve regretted the purchase. I still remember the feeling of spotting one in the wild while I was in middle school, high school, a
Seiko 5, ebay special. Surprised that it works and seems to be keeping time.
View attachment 1074809
The Seiko 5 is a solid workhorse. I've had a few.

Marcello C Nettuno 3
Relatively early release - mid 90's I think. I was looking at an Oris and almost pulled the trigger but it looked too big on my wrist and then I tried the Marcello C and couldn't bear to take it off ;-)

The Seiko 5 is a solid workhorse. I've had a few.
I do appreciate the Seiko 5 lineup. A good mix of dials and case shapes. I have a new one, but this one is from an India seller who had a number of old Citizen and Seikos, where sometimes the back case does not match the dial (Citizen caseback on a Seiko or vice-versa). So I am not sure the movement matches the dial or if the dial is correct, but it looks to have some legitimate ageing. This watch beats all the others that I own...it is running about 75 seconds/day fast. :laugh: Maybe someday I will open the caseback and see if it can be regulated a little better. As it stands it is fun to wear for a few days at a time.
Seiko5-yellow_20200316.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do appreciate the Seiko 5 lineup. A good mix of dials and case shapes. I have a new one, but this one is from an India seller who had a number of old Citizen and Seikos, where sometimes the back case does not match the dial (Citizen caseback on a Seiko or vice-versa). So I am not sure the movement matches the dial or if the dial is correct, but it looks to have some legitimate ageing. This watch beats all the others that I own...it is running about 75 seconds/day fast. :laugh: Maybe someday I will open the caseback and see if it can be regulated a little better. As it stands it is fun to wear for a few days at a time.
View attachment 1075149
The one I had I dropped and it stopped working. I may have to open it up and go to YouTube and see if I can learn anything. Got it cheap enough....

Top Bottom