Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Soap: Speick (stick, shaved into bowl)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic
Post Shave: Every Man Jack Signature Mint Lotion/Balm

fullsizeoutput_b51.jpeg

Razor: Viking Captain
Prep: Liquid hand face soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Viking Mild (8th shave, trying to stretch it out till the Fixed Four for March starts)
Soap: Proraso Green (using rain water) Green went into storage till 1 April 2020.
A/S : Aqua Musk
Rating: 8.0 A basic shave, minimal stubble. Minimal doggie scratch scab scalping today.

Friday, 2/28:

20200228_083323.jpg

Razor - Above the Tie Windsor SSR1
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Simpson's 58 23mm best badger
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Albion
A/S - OneBlade aftershave balm

This was a GREAT shave. I've come to realize that lately I've been overworking my lather in the bowl and putting too much air in it or something, so after doing that again today, I actually started over with a reloaded brush (wasteful, I know, but I'm stubborn like that sometimes!), kept it simple and quick, and got a damn good lather in less time. This brush, which admittedly is very much like the Commodore X3, is a crazy good brush. And even thought they're both best badger, I swear this one feels softer. Boy is it a real pleasure to use! The handle is a perfect shape, and the knot is basically perfect size, loft, backbone, etc. Simpson sure know how to make a brush. The P&B makes a lovely rich lather that smells outstanding and provides excellent glide. And the Windsor I'm loving more and more. It was a real treat to use this week, as it's become more effortless and sits just great in my hand. I love it when everything comes together like this. I ended up with a glass-smooth, super comfortable shave with a clear complexion, and I'm ready to tackle the day. Happy Friday!

First time trying Voskhod blades; they receive rave reviews from many (and are quite cheap), so had high hopes for them.

I was surprised after the first pass...didn't even feel like I performed a pass. After the second pass, given the roughness (not extreme, but felt tugging) and the fact that two shaves felt like one with every other blades I have tried, I got out of the shower, dripping wet, and put in the mildest blade I have tried (Derby) and salvaged the shave.

To say I was disappointed in these blades in an understatement. Two passes and in the trash. I will, however, give it one more go in a different razor with a good, slick soap and see if it performs any better. :(

The cup-half-full perspective on this—being new, I am inexperienced trying lots of blades. Given that so many praise these blades, it demonstrates the 'YMMV' and the fact that some blades perform differently in different razors, I guess. I'm about to start geeking on blades and perform a lot of experiments this spring while I hunt for my unicorn blade. :)

IMG_9010.JPG

Just love Stirling 😊

Soap : Stirling Soap Company - Mountain Man
SvdD : 28-02-2020
Razor : Rex – Ambassador
Blade : Gilette Silver Blue (1)
Brush : Omega - EVO Silvertip fibre - Special Veteran
Aftershave : Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia special edition 2018
Eau de Parfum : Saponificio Varesino - Opuntia

View attachment 1068024

You've been using that Omega EVO just about every shave: have you noticed any change in performance, like any break-in? Or typical synth status quo? Dope pic, BTW.

First time trying Voskhod blades; they receive rave reviews from many (and are quite cheap), so had high hopes for them.

I was surprised after the first pass...didn't even feel like I performed a pass. After the second pass, given the roughness (not extreme, but felt tugging) and the fact that two shaves felt like one with every other blades I have tried, I got out of the shower, dripping wet, and put in the mildest blade I have tried (Derby) and salvaged the shave.

To say I was disappointed in these blades in an understatement. Two passes and in the trash. I will, however, give it one more go in a different razor with a good, slick soap and see if it performs any better. :(

The cup-half-full perspective on this—being new, I am inexperienced trying lots of blades. Given that so many praise these blades, it demonstrates the 'YMMV' and the fact that some blades perform differently in different razors, I guess. I'm about to start geeking on blades and perform a lot of experiments this spring while I hunt for my unicorn blade. :)

View attachment 1068032

Definitely don't be too discouraged. I've been wet shaving for four years now, which is obviously not a lifetime, but long enough to have tried many things. I've used countless blades, I know when a blade does or doesn't work for me, and with almost every razor I've used, Voskhods literally just don't cut it for me.

Definitely don't be too discouraged. I've been wet shaving for four years now, which is obviously not a lifetime, but long enough to have tried many things. I've used countless blades, I know when a blade does or doesn't work for me, and with almost every razor I've used, Voskhods literally just don't cut it for me.

Good to know, sir. Thanks! I just posted about some problems with Sterling Soaps, but giving them a third (and final) test-drive...so I am not being hasty in ruling these out...but I can't see the Voskhods performing markedly different in a different razor. We'll see. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri Feb 28th 2020

Razor : Gem push button model- MFG 1958-65 one of the best looking Gems they made in the Gold and black IMO.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7)
Soap : Italian barber Aimci- nice mild citrus scent with great lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm ( Sagrada Familia) named after a great Cathedral in Barcelona Spain.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock Amici with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Great shave!

SOTD Feb 28th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

On with the Super Speed theme! Today’s ritual fell to the mighty Aristocrat Jr. this particular A’crat is made in England and dates between 1949-52. It would have come out of a #51 or #53 set but I never got the case or box with it. It is hefty and in super clean condition. It is one of the best shaving razors I own and always a joy to use. Loaded up with the same Perma-Sharp Super (1).

Soap of the day TFS Ginestra di Taormina which has a smoky tobacco flower note to it. Great scent with great staying power. I rave about the TFS brand because they really are good products and you can’t go wrong with any of them. Matching balm is great too.

Lovely smooth as silk three pass BBS shave. Ready for the weekend. Let’s get through the day, snow (if you got some) and safe home to the families. Take care and safe travels all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Junior 1949-52
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Paladin 26mm Select Badger - Sumo
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso - Ginestra di Taormina
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso - Ginestra di Taormina
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Gucci Pour Homme
040533B8-5763-41AA-9684-84DF43610747.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom