What's new

Blackland Vector Advice

I have been wetshaving for decades. Over the years I have tried all manner of razors. Probably the most aggressive was the ATT H1. I liked the razor but found it too much work. Over the last several years I have shaved exclusively with GEM razors with the Blackland L2, my weapon of choice. In my opinion it is a moderately aggressive razor. I could scoot around my face pretty much carefree. Great 2 pass shave. No muss, no fuss, no blood.

Recently I acquired a Vector. I have appox 10 shaves with it, half with the Schick Proline and half with the Captain Titan Mild. I am having a terrible time with it. I have very dry skin and despite a very light touch, I end up with at least a half a dozen weepers every time I shave. Not cuts. Not nicks. Just the razor decapitating the small imperfections in my dry skin. Not fun!!

I am looking for advice. Other blades to try? Do the ProGuard blades really work? Technique advice?

Thanks in advance.

When I first got my Vector, it took me about six shaves in to finally get a feel for the razor. Unlike many of the Feather AC type safety razors, the Vector has a very small top cap. There is a beveled area where you should be using to guide your angle, but it is very hard to find, and the safety bar is also very small. Basically, be aware of your angle. It definitely does best riding the cap and barely touching the safety bar, but finding that angle consistently requires concentration until it becomes natural. I started out on a Kai guard blade and got great results early on because it helped me find the correct angle. Once comfortable with the Kai, I switched to a Proline and found I had to adjust slightly to that.

Keep trying and be aware of your angle because it is a very good shaver once you figure it out.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Do the ProGuard blades really work?

Short answer: yes.

I recently started using them. I have been on a complicated journey into AC razors; mostly complicated by my own problems. I picked up an SE1/SE2 combo from ATT and didn't start with guarded blades. I had the same problems you're having. Weepers, nicks, a couple of pretty good slices while trying to shave blind on the back of my head.

I put them on the shelf, then decided to trade the SE1/SE2 combo off for an S1/S2 combo. What came back was an offer to trade an S2 for the SE1. I got a great slant out of the trade, but still have the SE2 which is a moderately aggressive razor even without a blade in it.

When I decided to give guards a shot I was more or less locked into using them in the SE2. I'm going to say that's a good thing. It's still a pretty aggressive, but once past the usual first two Feather shaves it settles down quite a bit. I've peeled a couple bumps but that's it.

Keeping my eyes open for a nice SE1 on the BST, or I'll just go buy one from ATT. Generally I prefer OC razors but with new insight and different blades (I tried Feather Pro and Proline earlier) I may come to terms with a SB.

O.H.

Interesting. The Vector is not generally regarded as particularly aggressive, usually even less than or equal to the Sabre L2 so I'm very curious about what's causing this. I'm sure this isn't the case, but check to make sure that the blade is fully seated and tightened down fully.

Do you have experience with other Artist Club razors? If not, I definitely recommend picking up a sample pack of blades from tryablade. Blade choice makes all the difference in SEs to a degree that DE blades do not. Guarded blades absolutely work. I like Kai ProTouch MGs for guarded blades.

I will keep at it but thus far the L2 is a pussycat on my face when compared to the Vector. I will adjust my technique and try a variety of blades, as suggested. I have to say it is one of the most visually beautiful and perfectly balanced razors that I have ever used.

I will keep at it but thus far the L2 is a pussycat on my face when compared to the Vector. I will adjust my technique and try a variety of blades, as suggested. I have to say it is one of the most visually beautiful and perfectly balanced razors that I have ever used.

Might also be a good idea to examine the razor and make sure it’s in proper condition. I’m not aware of any defect that would cause this, but it might be a good idea to check. If you want a second opinion you can email me photos.

[email protected]

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I had a Sabre and sold it. Have, will continue to have, a Vector. I find the aggression about identical (I had the L2 plate). Are you riding the top cap? If so, you may need to use a different angle. I keep the handle approximately 45 degrees to my face.

Might also be a good idea to examine the razor and make sure it’s in proper condition. I’m not aware of any defect that would cause this, but it might be a good idea to check. If you want a second opinion you can email me photos.

[email protected]

Shane, the blade looks perfectly seated in the razor. No gaps anywhere. No asymmetry. Just had another bad shave. Paid very close attention to shave angle. Really weird. The razor doesn't feel aggressive on my face, just acts aggressive. First razor I have ever purchased that didn't agree with me. Again, these are not cuts or nicks, just weepers. I will purchase one of the guarded blades to see if that helps.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Shane, the blade looks perfectly seated in the razor. No gaps anywhere. No asymmetry. Just had another bad shave. Paid very close attention to shave angle. Really weird. The razor doesn't feel aggressive on my face, just acts aggressive. First razor I have ever purchased that didn't agree with me. Again, these are not cuts or nicks, just weepers. I will purchase one of the guarded blades to see if that helps.

I don’t want to be negative but in my experience if you are having bad shaves with a razor you probably aren’t going to fall in love with it from changing blades. Shane has a great return policy. Alternatively you can send it to me, I could use a backup!

That said, hopefully you figure out the issue and start getting great shaves with it. I have been getting BBS shaves with zero irritation from mine using Prolines and Feather Pros and I have sensitive skin. This hobby really is a YMMV thing.

I don’t want to be negative but in my experience if you are having bad shaves with a razor you probably aren’t going to fall in love with it from changing blades. Shane has a great return policy. Alternatively you can send it to me, I could use a backup!

That said, hopefully you figure out the issue and start getting great shaves with it. I have been getting BBS shaves with zero irritation from mine using Prolines and Feather Pros and I have sensitive skin. This hobby really is a YMMV thing.

I would normally agree with you but to my pleasant surprise I had a great shave yesterday with a Feather Pro. I would like to tell you that I did something different with my prep or with my shaving technique, but it was the same as all of the other shaves. I will use the Feather Pro for a while and then circle back to the Schick and Captain Kai. All very weird to me. As I mentioned in my first post, I shaved with the ATT H1 for more than 1 year so I am very familiar with the technique needed to manage an aggressive razor. This was just weird. So it goes.....

I shaved with the ATT H1 for more than 1 year so I am very familiar with the technique needed to manage an aggressive razor.
Not to knock what you went through, or are going through, but I always found that the only real common ground between a SE and DE was they held a blade, cut hair, and that was about it... Very different experiences from one to the other. I've never owned a Vector and the only razor I do own is a Ti95DC from Timeless. I did however have the 1st version of the Hawk which didn't last very long before it had to go and then an Aluminum General that was upgraded to the V1 Stainless General so I've had some experience. I found the SE's, imo, like a much more shallow angle which to me always required more attention to detail than with my Timeless which I use a more neutral angle and can shave on auto-pilot the majority of the time. Not to say it won't harm you if you lose track, but much more forgiving during and after the shave irritation wise.

That being said, again imo, the Vector isn't your run of the mill SE and I would think the shave angle is very narrow due to the head dimensions and I'm sure once that angle is found it would be a great shaver. I think the reason the V1 Hawk didn't last long for me was for the same reason basically, very narrow margin when it came to angle of attack. RR changed the head on the V2 to mimic the curvature to be more like the General and more people have favored the V2 over the V1 because now the angle of attack was widened and easier to find and maintain the angle...

I would add the main reason I only own 1 razor nowadays is I don't want to have to think everytime I pick up a razor where the optimal angle is to attain a great shave so I took the guesswork out of the equation all together. I know when I do pick up my Timeless it shaves exactly the same every shave out!! Simple and easy!!

eta... Glad you finally had a great shave with your Vector. Congrats...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I would normally agree with you but to my pleasant surprise I had a great shave yesterday with a Feather Pro. I would like to tell you that I did something different with my prep or with my shaving technique, but it was the same as all of the other shaves. I will use the Feather Pro for a while and then circle back to the Schick and Captain Kai. All very weird to me. As I mentioned in my first post, I shaved with the ATT H1 for more than 1 year so I am very familiar with the technique needed to manage an aggressive razor. This was just weird. So it goes.....

Excellent news! I am happy to be wrong in this case. The Pro is an underrated blade in my opinion. I’m both my Vector and my Brass General it provides very close and comfortable shaves.

Excellent news! I am happy to be wrong in this case. The Pro is an underrated blade in my opinion. I’m both my Vector and my Brass General it provides very close and comfortable shaves.
I agree that the Feather Pro is a fine blade. I have used it in both my aluminum V2 Hawk and my new Enoch. That said, I find the Schick Proline gives me a shave that is marginally closer and smoother.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I agree that the Feather Pro is a fine blade. I have used it in both my aluminum V2 Hawk and my new Enoch. That said, I find the Schick Proline gives me a shave that is marginally closer and smoother.

I reach for the Proline when I want a really close shave and the Pro when I want a very comfortable shave. I find I get less irritation with the Feather Pro, very gentle blade for my skin, but the Schick is sharper. The Feather Pro is a very different animal than the DE blades for sure.

I have been wetshaving for decades. Over the years I have tried all manner of razors. Probably the most aggressive was the ATT H1. I liked the razor but found it too much work. Over the last several years I have shaved exclusively with GEM razors with the Blackland L2, my weapon of choice. In my opinion it is a moderately aggressive razor. I could scoot around my face pretty much carefree. Great 2 pass shave. No muss, no fuss, no blood.

Recently I acquired a Vector. I have appox 10 shaves with it, half with the Schick Proline and half with the Captain Titan Mild. I am having a terrible time with it. I have very dry skin and despite a very light touch, I end up with at least a half a dozen weepers every time I shave. Not cuts. Not nicks. Just the razor decapitating the small imperfections in my dry skin. Not fun!!

I am looking for advice. Other blades to try? Do the ProGuard blades really work? Technique advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old thread bump, but op @rodmonster, your experience mirrors mine exactly. Did you ever get this figured out or did you move on?

I’m 14 shaves in on my vector with a mic of p30’s and titan milds. I can’t find an angle to give me a consistently smooth shave. It’s really strange. I regularly use a dart, a blackbird, and a Sabre. This is the only one that isn’t intuitively working. I can’t figure it out.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The head on the Vector is very small and light. It's like a sports car. You have to 'drive' it.

The Feather Pro Super provides more exposure and rigidity. Might be easier to get dialed in with one of the Feathers in the Vector.

Once I figured out the nuances and requirements of the Vector/Proline combination, I easily get DFS++ to BBS.

So nimble. So maneuverable. A joy to use. :)

YMMV :)

Interesting. The Vector is not generally regarded as particularly aggressive, usually even less than or equal to the Sabre L2 so I'm very curious about what's causing this. I'm sure this isn't the case, but check to make sure that the blade is fully seated and tightened down fully.

Do you have experience with other Artist Club razors? If not, I definitely recommend picking up a sample pack of blades from tryablade. Blade choice makes all the difference in SEs to a degree that DE blades do not. Guarded blades absolutely work. I like Kai ProTouch MGs for guarded blades.
I wasn't going to throw in my two cents until Shane spoke up. I own both razors (along with several AC razors and at least 20 vintage gems and at least a dozen injectors...) I feel the Vector and the L2 Sabre are on the mild side, making them a joy to shave with... however, that doesn't really help you with your problem. I will say that I feel I have to give the Vector another quarter turn or so once it's tightened to really 'set' it. Also, guarded blades are definitely useful and provide a nice buffer. Don't give up! My favorite combo is the Vector with a Schick Proline.

Is it just an angle thing? I think if you're used to shaving with one (or a limited selection) of razors, it's going to take some serious adjustment. I've been driving for over twenty years and no matter how many cars I own, when I get into a new vehicle, I inevitably slam the brakes on accident or or peel off from a stop sign until I get the hang of the new vehicle. I tend to have no trouble finding the angle of a new razor (though it does take effort). I just think it's because I change razors every day.

Old thread bump, but op @rodmonster, your experience mirrors mine exactly. Did you ever get this figured out or did you move on?

I’m 14 shaves in on my vector with a mic of p30’s and titan milds. I can’t find an angle to give me a consistently smooth shave. It’s really strange. I regularly use a dart, a blackbird, and a Sabre. This is the only one that isn’t intuitively working. I can’t figure it out.

From many conversations with customers I’ve learned that the most common issue with the Vector is pressure. The head is so light that gravity won’t do the work for you so you need to add some pressure in. This can be tricky for users who are used to always using heavy SS razors. Obviously I can’t diagnose your case, but my blind guess would be to focus on getting the pressure right rather than angle. It works at just about any angle, in my experience, so I don’t even think about the angle.

Top Bottom