What's new

Using a syringe to add water to soap

If I was having issues making lather then I might consider reducing variables; measuring water volume, weighing soap, etc. I probably wouldn't actually do it, but I might consider it.
But I've never had issues making lather so I just wet the brush and add water as I go.
Bottom line is that I don't believe that consistency in lather, or shaving for that matter, is enhanced or dependent on equations, spread sheets, or formulas. To be honest, I find those lines of thinking to be short sighted, inconclusive, and limiting.
I believe that experiential considerations rule here. It's just soap - add water, stir, done. If I needed a calclator for that then I'd be done.

I skipped 90% of the thread, has anybody else recommended a calibrated air displacement pipette yet? That’s how the big kids do precise fluid addition/subtraction.

Only problem I could see is if you added the precise water for the badger knot used last time, but it sheds a few hairs- now the whole precision of the formula has gone to crap and you’re left hoping those unallocated water molecules get scooped up still.

I skipped 90% of the thread, has anybody else recommended a calibrated air displacement pipette yet? That’s how the big kids do precise fluid addition/subtraction.

Only problem I could see is if you added the precise water for the badger knot used last time, but it sheds a few hairs- now the whole precision of the formula has gone to crap and you’re left hoping those unallocated water molecules get scooped up still.
You missed the clarification where, at least for me, we're not concerned about only putting in a certain amount, but a few of us are just tracking how much we use by the end.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I saw another guy on youtube who looks like Superman. His channel is called Dagwood shaving or something like that. He uses a spray bottle full of water to add water very slowly to his lather bowl. I tried that for a while but I prefer a syringe. More precise.

If I was having issues making lather then I might consider reducing variables; measuring water volume, weighing soap, etc. I probably wouldn't actually do it, but I might consider it.
But I've never had issues making lather so I just wet the brush and add water as I go.
Bottom line is that I don't believe that consistency in lather, or shaving for that matter, is enhanced or dependent on equations, spread sheets, or formulas. To be honest, I find those lines of thinking to be short sighted, inconclusive, and limiting.
I believe that experiential considerations rule here. It's just soap - add water, stir, done. If I needed a calclator for that then I'd be done.

I do it by feel, as well.

Gents,

I recently started using the syringe to add 1/2 tsp of distilled water at a time as I go to develop the lather....swirl brush...add 1/2 tsp...swirl brush...add 1/2 tsp...so on and so forth until I have the perfect consistency for my tastes/preferences.

It is not meant to be scientific, defining, or limiting for me...in other words I do not say...Nuavia Blue takes exactly 5 tsp of water every single time. It is meant to control the amount of water added incrementally so that I arrive at the perfect consistency of lather for my shave each time.

This does take just a little more time and effort, BUT it’s part of the fun for me, and I have been getting amazing results.

Below are some pictures of the lathers that I have been getting since I started using a syringe to really dial each soap in as I lather in a big singing bowl.

Picture 1: Zingari Nomad (Sego Base)

Pictures 2-4: Long Rifle Soap Co Brown Bess

Pictures 5-6: Nuavia Blue (purchased in the ceramic bowl a little over a year ago)

Pictures 7-8: Declaration Grooming Trismegistus (Milksteak Base)

Pictures 9-10: Wholly Kaw Fougere Mania (Siero Base)

It works for my process! That being said, as everyone knows, it’s not THE ONLY process, and many roads lead to Rome!

Vr

Matt

CE5C6727-485D-4CD5-A5A3-21954FF52568.jpeg
719E064A-939A-418B-A7C9-463D9A0ED860.jpeg
BA8E8DA7-230F-4C6E-837A-8528FE480B2A.jpeg
76A1F5D0-CCF2-4133-8F9B-590A5C38CED5.jpeg
30AD9CA4-EAEC-49DC-AEDA-B34C6129492A.jpeg
2644BC8E-4B07-4C27-9CAC-4C873D4B2708.jpeg
CDC5181A-D70C-4865-A0C0-61F871F92606.jpeg
CFBD0E95-0848-4423-8B54-608C62A16115.jpeg
82FCADE8-6260-4DE6-B182-1599B61E3DCD.jpeg
CEDC14E9-1CBE-41E6-9CE3-BB7AFC70E237.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems to me some people are making a very simple process far too complicated.

1/2 tsp...swirl brush in bowl...1/2 tsp...swirl brush in bowl...repeat sequence until lather reaches the consistency that you like...

It isn’t too complicated for me, and I am a chicken nugget.

Vr

Matt

I haven’t gone as far as using a syringe but do use a cheap set of stainless steel measuring spoons I picked up from my local supermarket for less than the cost of a sandwich.

It makes the process of adding water to a bowl much easier and is far more precise than trying add water in a haphazard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Or.... they're just enjoying their hobby in a different way than you like to.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Having only been wet shaving for a year, I must admit I struggled mightily getting the water to soap ratio right when I bowl lather. I had a small cup that I measured the exact same amount of water with and still got inconsistent results.

Until I realized it was hard water causing all of my problems. Now I just dip my brush in a mug of warm filtered water, give it a few shakes, and swirl my brush on the puck until I see lather starting to form. From there on it is just a matter of patience. If it looks like the soap needs more hydration I just dip my brush in the mug again.

Too much hydration and I just go back to the puck for a couple of swirls.

I am however looking for a nice artisan bowl that changes color when the exact water to soap ratio is correct.

Having only been wet shaving for a year, I must admit I struggled mightily getting the water to soap ratio right when I bowl lather. I had a small cup that I measured the exact same amount of water with and still got inconsistent results.

Until I realized it was hard water causing all of my problems. Now I just dip my brush in a mug of warm filtered water, give it a few shakes, and swirl my brush on the puck until I see lather starting to form. From there on it is just a matter of patience. If it looks like the soap needs more hydration I just dip my brush in the mug again.

Too much hydration and I just go back to the puck for a couple of swirls.

I am however looking for a nice artisan bowl that changes color when the exact water to soap ratio is correct.

You are absolutely correct that hard water can mess up your lather. Some soaps contain ingredients that are designed to sequester (bind) the calcium and magnesium ions in the water to prevent soap scum. You can achieve something similar by adding citric acid to your water used for lathering. Lemon juice contains citric acid and can be used, or you can purchase citric acid in powered form from the canning section of your grocery store.

However, since lathering only takes a few teaspoons of water per shave, you might want to keep a jug of purified water under your sink. A gallon of distilled water only costs a dollar and will last for about 200 shaves. It will make lathering much easier.

You are absolutely correct that hard water can mess up your lather. Some soaps contain ingredients that are designed to sequester (bind) the calcium and magnesium ions in the water to prevent soap scum. You can achieve something similar by adding citric acid to your water used for lathering. Lemon juice contains citric acid and can be used, or you can purchase citric acid in powered form from the canning section of your grocery store.

However, since lathering only takes a few teaspoons of water per shave, you might want to keep a jug of purified water under your sink. A gallon of distilled water only costs a dollar and will last for about 200 shaves. It will make lathering much easier.
Superb advice
I wonder how distilled water would affect my process? Now I gatta try some. lol

I've been heard varying results with using distilled water, citric acid and soft water. Personally I didn't have much of a change using distilled water or citric acid and very little using soft water. I think everybody should give it a try just for the sake of it's kind of fun, or at least it was for me.

I've been heard varying results with using distilled water, citric acid and soft water. Personally I didn't have much of a change using distilled water or citric acid and very little using soft water. I think everybody should give it a try just for the sake of it's kind of fun, or at least it was for me.

The "varying results" is likely due to the composition of the soaps. For example, although Arko is an inexpensive soap, it contains tetrasodium EDTA. This a chelating agent that will sequester the calcium and magnesium ions, so using distilled water may not make a significant difference.

Also, there are variations in water hardness. If your water is really hard, it will make a difference. Where I live, the normal water hardness is up to 28 grains which is considered to be extremely hard. When my water softener quit working, I had a terrible time lathering some soaps and soap scum built up on my brushes and sink. After getting a new water softener, I no longer have those issues.

Top Bottom