What's new

Using a syringe to add water to soap

Wow, I've been watching your videos for almost a whole year. I find them kind of relaxing for some reason. Also, very informative for a noob wetshaver like me.
I'm glad you find them that way. That's one of the things I go for. Casual, but informative. I find shaving kinda therapeutic and meditative.
Thanks for the kind words.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I face lather and try to start with my brush just not having enough water. Then, like some others have said, I just run a little water on the brush until I reach the desired consistency for the lather - not being afraid to load more soap. My goal is to saturate the brush with moist, rich lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+7

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just keep a plastic squeeze bottle of water next to sink and put in as many drops of water as I need into either my bowl if I’m bowl lathering or my brush if I’m face lathering. Really easy to use and fast.
Smart. Great idea for face lathering, as I typically get too much water when I run water over the brush!

I am combination of lazy and experienced; I've been doing this for fifty years. It's just shaving. I bowl lather, heating up my bowl, brush, and razor in a sinkful of hot water while I shower. I give the brush a gentle shake, eyeball the amount of H2O left in my warm bowl, and if it all looks good, I load my brush and whip up my lather. Onwards.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am combination of lazy and experienced; I've been doing this for fifty years. It's just shaving. I bowl lather, heating up my bowl, brush, and razor in a sinkful of hot water while I shower. I give the brush a gentle shake, eyeball the amount of H2O left in my warm bowl, and if it all looks good, I load my brush and whip up my lather. Onwards.
You are a smart man indeed.

Someday someone may use a syringe to shoot up soap, and I hope I'm not a nurse in the ER when it happens!

I face lather 100% of the time. I use a small cup filled half way to pre soak the brush a few minutes before loading. When the brush needs more hydration, a quick dip in that same cup is all it takes.

I'm glad you find them that way. That's one of the things I go for. Casual, but informative. I find shaving kinda therapeutic and meditative.
Thanks for the kind words.

Can you PM your link? I'm not looking up "sugardaddy" on youtube. LOL

I find that the amount of water I must add also is dependent on the brush I am using.

This. Plus, what is going on with the the soap. Was it used yesterday, is the heater running and drying out the puck, Was the lid on or off, etc. Way too many variables. And it’s just shaving.

This. Plus, what is going on with the the soap. Was it used yesterday, is the heater running and drying out the puck, Was the lid on or off, etc. Way too many variables. And it’s just shaving.
Exactly. And I try to reiterate these variables during my shaves as well, while using the syringe.

If someone has assumed that I use the syringe to put in an exact amount every shave that doesn't change with the situation, then they have assumed incorrectly.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If someone has assumed that I use the syringe to put in an exact amount every shave that doesn't change with the situation, then they have assumed incorrectly.
Killjoy. We were "this" close to having artisan crafted syringes to load just the perfect amount of water. Except we would't crassly refer to it as water, but rather, hydration.

And I thought i obsessed. Don't overthink it.

It seems to me that amount of precision only make sense if everything else remains exactly the same. The size of the brush, the density of the brush, how easily the soap loads and lathers are all highly variable.

Just start out on the dry side and and add a little water at a time until you get to the consistency you like. If you rotate through brushes and soaps, it's going to be a little different every time.

And I thought i obsessed. Don't overthink it.

It seems to me that amount of precision only make sense if everything else remains exactly the same. The size of the brush, the density of the brush, how easily the soap loads and lathers are all highly variable.

Just start out on the dry side and and add a little water at a time until you get to the consistency you like. If you rotate through brushes and soaps, it's going to be a little different every time.
You're assuming that we have the same shaving goals. It doesn't seem like we do. So there's nothing wrong with my approach. It makes me happy. And isn't that the point?

but if I'm guessing right, you're also assuming something that is incorrect. I'm not using a syringe so that I only add a certain amount of water. I am using a syringe because I love the way I can add a lot of water or just a few drops very easily . Since I usually use three to 5 teaspoons of water per shave , dribbling drops off my fingertips to get that amount would be painfully laborious. the syringe makes that much easier.

I only care about the amount of water used... at the end of the shave. I report that to the people who watch my videos, in case someone has found my video and is trying to learn how to lather a certain soap base, and is having a lot of trouble. Knowing how much I add might get them in the ballpark of a good lather themselves. Because saying "just add water until it looks right" sometimes isn't all that helpful to a person really struggling. I also generally show other things to look for like peaks, elasticity, I run it between my fingers and I describe the texture as well.

And I often tell people that they probably don't need to use a syringe themselves if they use the same soap base over and over because they will get used to the way it looks and be able to dial it in with no problem.

Top Bottom