What's new

Using a syringe to add water to soap

You're assuming that we have the same shaving goals. It doesn't seem like we do. So there's nothing wrong with my approach. It makes me happy. And isn't that the point?

but if I'm guessing right, you're also assuming something that is incorrect. I'm not using a syringe so that I only add a certain amount of water. I am using a syringe because I love the way I can add a lot of water or just a few drops very easily . Since I usually use three to 5 teaspoons of water per shave , dribbling drops off my fingertips to get that amount would be painfully laborious. the syringe makes that much easier.

I only care about the amount of water used... at the end of the shave. I report that to the people who watch my videos, in case someone has found my video and is trying to learn how to lather a certain soap base, and is having a lot of trouble. Knowing how much I add might get them in the ballpark of a good lather themselves. Because saying "just add water until it looks right" sometimes isn't all that helpful to a person really struggling. I also generally show other things to look for like peaks, elasticity, I run it between my fingers and I describe the texture as well.

And I often tell people that they probably don't need to use a syringe themselves if they use the same soap base over and over because they will get used to the way it looks and be able to dial it in with no problem.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

OK, I misunderstood your reason for the syringe. I dribble water off my fingertips, you use a syringe. No big deal. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

With hard soap i like to keep it simple. Soak brush, shake once or twice, start to swirl on puck to lather, adding water as and if needed, swirl brush till the desired lather.

I looked up "sugar daddy" on youtube and now I'm involved in a relationship with a strange younger woman. Thanks a lot.

I looked up "sugar daddy" on youtube and now I'm involved in a relationship with a strange younger woman. Thanks a lot.

Yeah that’s why I wasn’t even going to. I bet adding “shaves” after that would really be fun. Lol.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Sugardaddy, what do you think is the best soap base out there right now? Milksteak, BM excelsior, etc?

laughs through nose.gif

Sugardaddy, what do you think is the best soap base out there right now? Milksteak, BM excelsior, etc?
I think it depends on what type of slickness you like in a lather.

I like a buttery/fatty type of slickness that just feels so luxurious. And I don't really like the low structure , gluey consistency lathers either.

I also do not value any post-shave attributes in the soaps. And so if you do, then your list is definitely gonna be different than mine.

So I personally prefer DG bison as well as BAM reserve myself. I probably like Icarus next, as I've never had any problem lathering it. Then maybe milksteak.

But to be honest, they are all so good that if I were to do a head-to-head lather-off, it's possible a few of those might change positions.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Someone already mentioned @ShavingByTheNumbers and for those not aware, here you can find info and links to all his lather testing - seems something the op and others would be interested in:

A syringe isn't necessary for accurate water measurements, but it will help do the trick. When measuring water added to a lathering bowl tared/zeroed on a 0.01 g resolution scale, I use a water bottle with a reasonably small opening to get one drop of water at a time if I want. If I go over the target amount by too much, then I can use a tissue, for example, to soak up and remove a small amount of water.

Take into account the humidity. If you just took a shower the humidity could affect your results compared to a non-shower shave.
Anyone?

I've used a tsp.and it was easy to spill, plus a bit inaccurate. Used the syringe method and I could get a nice repeatable mix, especially noting it down on paper. I've wanted to experiment with weights but didn't have the correct scale, to follow shavingbythenumbers. (I'm wondering if water hardness makes water weigh differently. I'll use a spray bottle now, about 8 sprays is roughly a tsp. Plus I wonder if it's not easier to mix up in small spray mist.
A lot of this was learning water was doing starting off with soap, water and brush. But it's partly just experiment also bowl lathering. I was just kind of like to see how everything compares these days. Wouldn't think it's a quick way or the best, but I might help a newby get a closer mix, and he can experiment with it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nothing is measured in my shaves. I don't strive for uniformity and consistency in that way. My shaves would instantly become far less enjoyable if I did.

I don't even make the same number of passes every time, or even take the same route around the face.

Nothing is measured in my shaves. I don't strive for uniformity and consistency in that way. My shaves would instantly become far less enjoyable if I did.

I don't even make the same number of passes every time, or even take the same route around the face.
Same here.
I do start my first pass in the same place thou. After that whatever happens happens.

Top Bottom