What's new

Looking for a good bay rum or B&M Seville kinda scent

I currently have Captain's Choice Bay Rum and like it a lot. I had tried Razorock Black Bay which is a different or darker kind of Bay Rum. It is Italian Barbers take on Bay Rum since he doesn't care for the regular bay rum scent. I didn't care for it and gave it to a co worker. I have only tried one other Bay Rum but can't remember the name as I got rid of it on a lot sale here.

I’ve heard good things about captains choice soaps. Does the captains choice bay rum lather good?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that Captain’s Choice also sells soap/cream samples. You could get a sampler pack and try a few of his soaps and creams out. Don’t forget to check out his Lather Bowls as well.

The Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay.

According to my nose, it's more bay than citrus, but they don't overkill it with bay or clove. If it had anymore bay, then I would not reach for it as much. IMO, the scent is more suited for the colder months (YMMV). This soap is Veg based, but provides excellent performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ogallala Bay Rum (with several variations) smells great, and I found the performance to be decent. Lathering was best with a synthetic brush.

That one is pretty cheap also. Interesting they say you can melt it and pour into any container. Can you do this with other soaps?

On the spendy side is Dr Jons Anne Bonny. Great scent, fair amount of lime, but a lot of black tea. Very warm. Like the chai of bay rums lol.

Captain's choice is not a bad scent either. I like their aftershave, but I wish it stuck around another hour or so.

On the spendy side is Dr Jons Anne Bonny. Great scent, fair amount of lime, but a lot of black tea. Very warm. Like the chai of bay rums lol.

Captain's choice is not a bad scent either. I like their aftershave, but I wish it stuck around another hour or so.

Sounds very nice. All sold out! Do you use vol.2 or vol.3?

Vol 3 is all I've tried. Apparently Vol 2 was good, but Vol 3 is heaps better.

Maggard has most of the ones mentioned here in stock, if not all of em, and especially as samples.

Vol 3 is all I've tried. Apparently Vol 2 was good, but Vol 3 is heaps better.

Maggard has most of the ones mentioned here in stock, if not all of em, and especially as samples.

Oh thank you!

Ogallala Bay Rum (with several variations) smells great, and I found the performance to be decent. Lathering was best with a synthetic brush.

The original Ogallala Bay Rum scent is very high in clove scent. When I applied it to my face, it felt like someone had doused me in gasoline. I had to use another soap to wash it off. That one went into the garbage; I would not even relegate it to the shower.

I have not tried other variations, so I do not know how they might work. Of course, if your face is not sensitive to clove, you might be OK with the original.

If you like the scent of Seville I would give it another shot. It can take a lot of water and you should be able to get fantastic results with it.
Really a great soap.
You were right about trying again. I found the sweet spot. I had too much water. Tried with less water and it was dense and slick! Much better! After rinsing face by the 3rd pass it did become thin and runny from the water on face but still slick enough for the pass! Overall now I like BM Seville!

Thanks for all the great recommendations! I’m making a list out of this! This is the Seville I haveView attachment 1047444
I cannot tell if this is Excelsior or Glissant. Is it marked to indicate the base used? If you do have Excelsior and you are not getting good lather then something in your lathering technique may be awry. Based on your latest responses it looks like you may have found the source of your lathering issue. I have B&M Beaudelaire in the Excelsior base and it lathers like a champ. I really like that particular scent. You can find it at West Coast Shaving.

Long Rifle Bay Rhum is really nice. I have some and have enjoyed it. I like Mike's a little more because it smells more authentic to me--essential oil only. It is in stock at Mike's Natural Soaps now. It was very difficult to find it in stock for a while.

I cannot tell if this is Excelsior or Glissant. Is it marked to indicate the base used? If you do have Excelsior and you are not getting good lather then something in your lathering technique may be awry. Based on your latest responses it looks like you may have found the source of your lathering issue. I have B&M Beaudelaire in the Excelsior base and it lathers like a champ. I really like that particular scent. You can find it at West Coast Shaving.

Long Rifle Bay Rhum is really nice. I have some and have enjoyed it. I like Mike's a little more because it smells more authentic to me--essential oil only. It is in stock at Mike's Natural Soaps now. It was very difficult to find it in stock for a while.

Yes I did figure it out thank you! It’s a great performer now. I found out I do have the excelsior base. I guess I just need to pay closer attention to not over hydrate the lather. I have a few orders coming now so I’ll probably add the long rifle bay to next order. I do like having more than a few options although I’ll stick with each one long enough to learn their characteristics.

I soaked a Muhle synthetic silvertip brush while I took shower. (About 5 minutes)
You don't need to soak a synthetic brush for 5 minutes. Synthetic bristles do not soak up water. In contrast, boar bristles soak up a lot of water and badger bristle soak up some--both do so over a period of time. Those are the ones you want to soak for any length of time.

Last edited:
You don't need to soak a synthetic brush for 5 minutes. Synthetic bristles do not soak up water. In contrast, boar bristles soak up a lot of water and badger bristle soak up some--both do so over a period of time. Those are the ones you want to soak for any length of time.

Ok I wasn’t sure if it would help soften the bristles or not?

Top Bottom