What's new

Why buy a Glock 19?

G17 fits me. Not every gun is meant for concealment ...

AA
It's not as though a Glock 17 is that much more physically substantial than a 1911. It's just similarly somewhat limiting on holster and wardrobe choices. It's POSSIBLE to carry a 50AE Desert Eagle, If you're committed.

Smaller/lighter is surely a lot easier and usually more comfortable though.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's not as though a Glock 17 is that much more physically substantial than a 1911. It's just similarly somewhat limiting on holster and wardrobe choices. It's POSSIBLE to carry a 50AE Desert Eagle, If you're committed.

Smaller/lighter is surely a lot easier and usually more comfortable though.

This is true. I had managed to carry a Glock 19 in a Uncle Mikes soft suede open top holster IWB in the summer over a tucked in t-shirt and under a light button up of some sort for more than 20 years. Then I bought and sold a Sig P365 and then picked up a Glock 43X.

If I carry the G43X IWB, it literally disappears underneath that same button up shirt and have found I can still conceal it pretty darn well under that same shirt even in an OWB holster with two magazines on the other side. I'm starting to naturally gravitate towards the G43X when in civilian clothing.

With my tuckable holster the Officer's size frame/commander length slide 1911 hides pretty well under my strong side love handle. It's kind of a PITA in many ways though.
Comforting not comfortable as a wise man once said.

I like 1911s, and while they are heavier, slimmer means concealable, particularly when contrasted with the sheer width of the usual Glock grip and mags. (Of course, I've also seen people insist that Govt Models weren't concealable ... while unbeknownst to them, others were doing exactly that at the time.)

OkieStubble

I like 1911s, and while they are heavier, slimmer means concealable, particularly when contrasted with the sheer width of the usual Glock grip and mags. (Of course, I've also seen people insist that Govt Models weren't concealable ... while unbeknownst to them, others were doing exactly that at the time.)

I liked this. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The grip is the only challenge in concealing a 1911, the rest is relatively slim and easier to carry IWB than many current models.

The grip is the only challenge in concealing a 1911, the rest is relatively slim and easier to carry IWB than many current models.

Yes, specifically the rear corner of the grip. But, the right holster draws it toward the body, or one could fork over cash for a rounded or angled grip.

"...the right holster..."
Indeed a proper holster can be a huge benefit.
I think I could easily carry around a cinder block in a Sam Andrews rig....
E0677334-A93C-4FB5-BE12-A4ACBEA35661.jpeg

Combat Perfection! My thirteen year old Glock 19 Gen 3 with fresh Tru Glo TFX sights that replaced Meprolights that served me well. Cordovan Milt Sparks NLG OWB leather lined holster with matching mag carrier.
20191118_093050.jpg
Josh Bulman Thin OWB holster. Both holsters, the boning is near perfect and they carry oh so sweetly.

20191118_093016.jpg

very nice!

Thanks! They're both unbelievably well made, the NLG is an upgraded Sparks' BN55, that in the end, with the full leather lining, probably proved too costly to manufacturer and sell. Tony built this one for me. The Bulman Holster... Josh Bulman was a disciple and apprentice to Lou Alessi, THE late great holster maker from Upstate NY near Buffalo. Josh struck out on his own and his holsters are truly old world craftsmanship. I has an IWB from him for the Glock which was beautiful but decided to not IWB the Glock. His OWB tucks the Glock really close to the body. Some day, I will wear the Bulman more as I wear the NLG or the two Sparks for my 1911 CCO most of the time, the Axiom and Nexus. About the only other pistol on my radar is a Sig P365, probably in a well made thin kydex. Can honestly say, that at this stage of life, I'm finally content with my carry pistols and holsters. Took me twenty years to find pistol and holster contentment. 😉

OkieStubble

Thanks! They're both unbelievably well made, the NLG is an upgraded Sparks' BN55, that in the end, with the full leather lining, probably proved too costly to manufacturer and sell. Tony built this one for me. The Bulman Holster... Josh Bulman was a disciple and apprentice to Lou Alessi, THE late great holster maker from Upstate NY near Buffalo. Josh struck out on his own and his holsters are truly old world craftsmanship. I has an IWB from him for the Glock which was beautiful but decided to not IWB the Glock. His OWB tucks the Glock really close to the body. Some day, I will wear the Bulman more as I wear the NLG or the two Sparks for my 1911 CCO most of the time, the Axiom and Nexus. About the only other pistol on my radar is a Sig P365, probably in a well made thin kydex. Can honestly say, that at this stage of life, I'm finally content with my carry pistols and holsters. Took me twenty years to find pistol and holster contentment. 😉

Lol'd. for now. :) I think I'm finally good with something and then something new comes along.

Although Lou Alessi has passed, his product and the superb craftsmanship evident in its manufacture are alive and well. Bob and Skip Ritchie picked up the reins and are putting out some top rate gear. Yet another example of "proper holsters".
793F0F97-8418-439D-9A9D-9894C3859C72.jpeg
88544ADE-FFDA-49D0-A7B3-640F21CD3ED1.jpeg
B8BA42B2-F163-4CCA-86CA-7A41A18C7778.jpeg
AFF693F5-2255-4258-A272-09D0D65E0B54.jpeg

Doubtful any MOS pistol will ever find a home in my arsenal. It took me long enough to accept the fact night sights were not a total waste of time. But I digress...
Noticed recently Gen 5 G19s come in two flavors. One with front slide serrations and no notch in the front of the magazine well, and another with a notch but no serrations.
Interesting.

Top Bottom