What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Figured this would be a good place to post about any razor experiments being conducted (in the name of SCIENCE, of course ;)) by the B&B Community. :)

Today's shave featured the Yintal Brass three piece razor with the GSC R41+ bottom plate:

20191112_141319.jpg
20191112_141340.jpg
20191112_141350.jpg
20191112_141404.jpg

The blade (not in the pics) was a Rapira Swedish Steel.

I'm actually surprised. The combination has good balance and handles well, is fairly efficient, fairly smooth and looks great. :)

The results? CCS with minimal bloodshed.

Please remember, this is for SCIENCE and YMMV. :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here is another Frankenrazor thread using another inexpensive three piece razor ( Double Edge Safety Razor Stainless Steel Manual Traditional Shaving Razor P0D4 818692534662 | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303229636249 ) with a Merkur or Gillette Old Type top cap:

Very mild combination.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Finally (for now, at least) here is the R41 base, SLOC top cap and Maggard MR16 handle from the @Ad Astra R41/SLOC thread:

Here are some pics of the Global Shave Club R41+ with the SLOC top cap and Maggard MR16 Handle:

View attachment 1033437View attachment 1033438View attachment 1033439View attachment 1033440View attachment 1033441

Be interesting to see all of the variables and variations. :)

The Yaqi Double-open-comb cap + Pearl OC base plate combo has been discussed quite a lot in the past. It is a great combination for those that like a more aggressive razor. I'll re-post some info here about it.

If the standard Yaqi DOC is a 5/10, I'd say this is about a 7/10. It gives a very close shave without much roughness. A bit like the Fatip OC.

The standard Yaqi DOC is a pleasant daily driver, maybe just a bit too mild. It does align the blade very precisely and is very smooth, though.

The Pearl OC can be a bit rough and can have problems with blade alignment. It does shave very close.

By combining the two, you get more aggressiveness compared to the Yaqi DOC and at the same time eliminate the blade alignment issues of the Pearl OC. You get a bit less bite and smoother feel with the Yaqi DOC top cap. The Pearl OC base plate allows for a wider range of shaving angles, also.

There is a thread with some good comments and photos here: My Yaqi-Pearl - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-yaqi-pearl.543377/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Yaqi Double-open-comb cap + Pearl OC base plate combo has been discussed quite a lot in the past. It is a great combination for those that like a more aggressive razor. I'll re-post some info here about it.

If the standard Yaqi DOC is a 5/10, I'd say this is about a 7/10. It gives a very close shave without much roughness. A bit like the Fatip OC.

The standard Yaqi DOC is a pleasant daily driver, maybe just a bit too mild. It does align the blade very precisely and is very smooth, though.

The Pearl OC can be a bit rough and can have problems with blade alignment. It does shave very close.

By combining the two, you get more aggressiveness compared to the Yaqi DOC and at the same time eliminate the blade alignment issues of the Pearl OC. You get a bit less bite and smoother feel with the Yaqi DOC top cap. The Pearl OC base plate allows for a wider range of shaving angles, also.

There is a thread with some good comments and photos here: My Yaqi-Pearl - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-yaqi-pearl.543377/

Thank you for posting your experiences with the Frankenrazor concept. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to try to devote one shave per week to trying new Frankenrazor concepts.

Good inexpensive shaving fun. :)

I've been trying out different mix/matches with varying results.

Today's winner for me used the same R41 baseplate with a cap from a Merkur bakelite.
Great blade feel and very efficient, 12hrs later and hardly any stubble!

I also like to pair a Gillette roller guard base with the R41 cap. Very smooth, barely any
alum response, and BBS for close to 12hr.

WOW

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been trying out different mix/matches with varying results.

Today's winner for me used the same R41 baseplate with a cap from a Merkur bakelite.
Great blade feel and very efficient, 12hrs later and hardly any stubble!

I also like to pair a Gillette roller guard base with the R41 cap. Very smooth, barely any
alum response, and BBS for close to 12hr.

WOW
Those are outstanding results!

I've been trying out different mix and matches.
I have not found a combination that is better.... just different.
I do this with tops bottoms and handles.
To me it keeps things from being boring.

Mine is fairly easy and tame. I pair up a EJ DE87 head with a Scotch & Stowe handle which looks like a Maggard MR5. Love the feel and gives a very nice shave

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here's a favorite Frankenrazor of mine, it's been like this for about five years now. Since the top cap of a Fatip I bought was curled up on two opposite corners I replaced it with a Merkur, which has different threads to the handle, of course. At any rate, it definitely tamed that defective and unruly Fatip.

Merkur cap, Fatip comb, and dainty little EMIR handle from an anticor (corn razor).
full

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here's a favorite Frankenrazor of mine, it's been like this for about five years now. Since the top cap of a Fatip I bought was curled up on two opposite corners I replaced it with a Merkur, which has different threads to the handle, of course. At any rate, it definitely tamed that defective and unruly Fatip.

Merkur cap, Fatip comb, and dainty little EMIR handle from an anticor (corn razor).
full
I like it! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of a new Frankenrazor:

SLOC top cap
Braveheart plate
Maggard MR16 handle

Pics to follow tomorrow.

Sure looks promising.

Top Bottom