What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

No one makes a zamak handle.

Ok then. I should have known that. I checked my stash and you are quite right. My EJ razor, Merkur razors are not zamak handles. I have non zamak handles. I should have known better. Doesn't change the fact that I have no desire to buy another zamak razor head either. End result, I'm not a buyer.

Zamak isn't a four letter word. It's a five letter word. But no matter how you slice it, zamak is not as good of a material as brass, stainless or titanium. You could have yours for a lifetime or it could start to corrode within a matter of months. You just never know. I've had mine for years. But they rarely see any use. I'll pull one out and use it every once in a while just because. I use my EJ DE89 as my travel razor. It's fine, for now. I won't lose any sleep if I notice it starting to degrade. I just prefer the shave I get from my New Deluxe (brass) and my RR GameChanger OC (stainless steel).

Zamak isn't a four letter word. It's a five letter word. But no matter how you slice it, zamak is not as good of a material as brass, stainless or titanium. You could have yours for a lifetime or it could start to corrode within a matter of months. You just never know. I've had mine for years. But they rarely see any use. I'll pull one out and use it every once in a while just because. I use my EJ DE89 as my travel razor. It's fine, for now. I won't lose any sleep if I notice it starting to degrade. I just prefer the shave I get from my New Deluxe (brass) and my RR GameChanger OC (stainless steel).

My inexpensive Van Der Hagen has a brass handle. I'm not too concerned if an inexpensive razor I buy doesn't last a lifetime.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That's some dumb *** who doesn't know what he's talking about saying partially or "completely" made out of zamak. That's not proof. Zamak head failure is proof the head is zamak. Zamak failure on a handle would be proof of a zamak handle. There is none because handles are brass on zamak razors.

That's some dumb *** who doesn't know what he's talking about saying partially or "completely" made out of zamak. That's not proof. Zamak head failure is proof the head is zamak. Zamak failure on a handle would be proof of a zamak handle. There is frigging none because handles are brass.

I'll take your word for it. You've been doing research for a long time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My inexpensive Van Der Hagen has a brass handle. I'm not too concerned if an inexpensive razor I buy doesn't last a lifetime.
If it's a VDH TTO razor it's all brass. There is no TTO that is made out of zamak. Take Parker, their TTO razors are all brass. Their two and three piece razors have zamak heads.

That's some dumb *** who doesn't know what he's talking about saying partially or "completely" made out of zamak. That's not proof. Zamak head failure is proof the head is zamak. Zamak failure on a handle would be proof of a zamak handle. There is none because handles are brass on zamak razors.
I don't think the Merkur Futur has any brass content. I know the Vision handle was nickel and chrome plated aluminum, same may be true for the Futur.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Most of the confusion come from Gillette's statement:
“Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating”

Brass is considered an Alloy, an alloy of copper and zinc
Gillette's statement is true for a Zamak head, and brass handle.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don't think the Merkur Futur has any brass content. I know the Vision handle was nickel and chrome plated aluminum, same may be true for the Futur.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You're right Aluminum handles are also used with zamak heads. I have a zamak Brit Tech with an aluminum handle. I think PAA uses a Stainless Steel handle on their DOC. I've heard that using Stainless Steel handles with zamak heads will wear out the screw and baseplate.

Last edited:
It's a solid brass handle like the Piccolo. Someone here sawed theirs in half for science.

Neat. I remembered the Turkish Yuma razor being some form of cheap unplated potmetal, which made me think of the 1904.

proxy.php

Top Bottom