What's new

Gillette to release NEW DE razor for the holidays

It's even more complicated than that because peoples memories are short. The message of the add is really quite conservative if you think about it. It is the antithesis of the if it feels good do it, sexual revolution, free love, and hedonism that came out of 1960's hippies that now prevails as the norm today. It promotes a stance actually closer to that of John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart standing up to defend the honor of a lady, when being harassed by the villain wearing a black hat, than it does to an actual attack on conservative values. This is how upside down and backwards the world has become.

Interesting perspective. You are not wrong, but IMO this ad conveys that message better.

Sharpologist posted notes from his meeting with Gillette:

Notes from my conference call with Gillette reps (Archivist, Communications Manager from Gillette, PR firm):
+ Handle made in USA
+ Head made in Germany (they wouldn't say but I'm 99% sure it's a Muhle head)
+ Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating
+ To be sold through Amazon only through the holidays; interest from Amazon pre-orders almost meets the level of "exceed expectations" for them
+ Not a "replica" but "heritage-inspired"
+ They acknowledge that the DE market is growing (!)
+ Trying to make a product that's "fun" for the consumer who's "starting to explore" shaving options while still providing quality & craftsmanship for the "collector or fan"

Notes from my conference call with Gillette reps (Archivist, Communications Manager from Gillette, PR firm):
+ Handle made in USA
+ To be sold through Amazon only through the holidays; interest from Amazon pre-orders almost meets the level of "exceed expectations" for them
+ Trying to make a product that's "fun" for the consumer who's "starting to explore" shaving options while still providing quality & craftsmanship for the "collector or fan"

I hope "through the holidays" includes New Year's Day. If not, I won't be able to buy one because I'm on Sabbatical. If it does, then I won't want one because I can buy one. Hope that makes sense.

The market doesn't need to grow. Only RAD needs to grow for them to make money.

That's good to hear that the handle is USA made like its predecessors. I've pre-ordered one just for the case but if the razor head is as good as a Mühle r89 (or if it turns out it is one) then thats a plus since replacement heads are roughly the price of the whole razor.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I asked Mantic about the quality and he said it's on par with Muhle or Merkur. He also said the Gillette logo does not appear on the razor.

Sharpologist posted the booklet from the razor kit

proxy.php

Handle made in the USA and head in Germany.

You can’t go wrong with an R89 style head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Actually, quite perfect for the new to double edge shavers. Do we know what the handle and head are made from with any level of certainty yet?

I’m amazed at all of the criticism aimed at Gillette. EJ and Muhle don’t see this hatred directed at their razors.

I don’t want an EJ or Muhle razor, but if I did, this would be a no brainer for me. The price is fair, good blades are included and the case appears to be very nice.

Virtually everyone in my (baby boomer) generation had either a Gillette, Schick or both. As we have experienced life, nostalgia and appreciation for good times has become more important. Adding quality and function to nostalgia is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

I applaud the fact that Gillette is making this offering for whatever reason. Perhaps if this is successful, they will offer other “limited” releases in the future and perhaps co-brand with others.

Actually, quite perfect for the new to double edge shavers. Do we know what the handle and head are made from with any level of certainty yet?

According to Mantic, who spoke to some Gillette reps, both handle and head will be made of a metal alloy (zamak). What he said:

“Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating”

Edit: I see that there is some conflicting info, also apparently from Gillette (via Twitter), suggesting that part of the razor may be made of brass. So I guess it’s still not settled.

Last edited:

+ Handle made in USA
If they truly believe in this I hope they will consider the rebirth of a classic blade, and for me that would be the Blue Blade...

I’m amazed at all of the criticism aimed at Gillette. EJ and Muhle don’t see this hatred directed at their razors.
I have not seen any criticism of Gillette in this thread. Many have noted it is a DE89 razor head, a look alike Gillette common bar handle, a tuck of PPI blades and a presentation case with Gillette trademarks on it. It is not a Gillette razor and the handle and case are "gillette heritage inspired". The DE89 has a well established pedigree and is one of the most cloned razor heads. However it is not a Gillette razor so there should be no confusion there. The package on sale seems good value for money.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
According to Mantic, who spoke to some Gillette reps, both handle and head will be made of a metal alloy (zamak). What he said:

“Handle & Head made from an alloy with chrome plating”

Edit: I see that there is some conflicting info, also apparently from Gillette (via Twitter), suggesting that part of the razor may be made of brass. So I guess it’s still not settled.
He's wrong. No one makes a zamak handles. Show me proof of zamak handle failure and I'll believe it. Go ahead Google it. Shaving forums should be full of examples. They are not because there are not. Handles are brass and heads are zamak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom